stefan
02-28-2007, 05:49 AM
County eyeing system of zippy futuristic buses
By Amy Choate-Nielsen
Deseret Morning News

OREM

DiscGo
02-28-2007, 06:26 AM
I skimmed through this article, so maybe I just missed it. But it is hard to get too excited without a price tag.

JP
02-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I skimmed through this article, so maybe I just missed it. But it is hard to get too excited without a price tag.

The project could be paid for with federal money and some local matching funds.

It COULD be paid for, not that it would be paid for with federal money and some local matching funds. Gotta like words like could and some :haha: That just makes it sound good, the taxpayer is still going to get whacked. All this for just about a six mile trip? I'm sure this won't be cheap and the entire state would be paying for this especially when the buses need to be maintained and then eventually replaced. Who would be taking this short trip? How do they see this as growth potential for other spots in Utah or the rest of the US? How are they going to get people to use it over their cars? Tax incentives?

Jaxx
02-28-2007, 10:18 AM
What would this accomplish? if the trax are supposed to be in 2 years after, then why would we use taxes for an 80 million dollar suped up bus? Why can't UTA just use these buses? Doesn't sound like that big of a benefit to make up for the cost.
And will people be allowed to smoke on it? haha j/k, I just got done reading the smoking thread.

Sombeech
02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
2012, hell. :roll:

DiscGo
02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I think the concept is if we had a better mass transit people might use it... but UTA is barely used as it is. I would much rather see that money go towards trax, or more roads.

I am very against toll roads (as many Utah state legislators have been discussing). Don't spend money on transit and then bill us for using the roads because you don't have enough money.

JP
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I am very against toll roads.
Out of curiosity, why?

DiscGo
02-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Out of curiosity, why?

So many reasons. Here are a few:

1. Toll roads are usually created on (by the Government) with the promise of the toll going away once the road is paid off. But by the time it is paid off, there is another use for those funds. (Plus last year you had several roads which were created with tax payers money sold off to private companies from over seas).

2. We are already heavily over taxed. We lose half our pay checks to taxation and then you have sales tax, property tax, food tax (in Utah), state tax, gas tax, etc. We should not have to pay a tax every time we go some place. I think it is a joke that I-80 and I-90 are both toll roads out East and not out West.

I could go on for a while but here it is:

We already pay taxes that should take care of the roads. We should not have to pay nearly 50 cents a gallon for gas, and then pay to use the roads. It is double dipping and just leads to further misuse of Government funds.

JP
02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Gotcha :nod: