PDA

View Full Version : Canyonlands - The Maze

mroy
02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm going to be heading into the Maze District next month for the first time. The planned trip is to park at the Maze Overlook, head down to the South Fork, then work my way up canyon to the road that goes through the Land of the Standing Rocks, then head East to the trail that leaves the Standing Rock campground toward the Harvest Scene Pictographs, down that canyon and then back up to the Maze Overlook.

I've looked for some info on these 'trails' and came up with almost nothing. I'm guessing they're more like routes than trails, but I'm curious about mileage, obstacles, recommended direction, camping possibilities (one nighter), water availability and pics too, those would be cool. So if any of you guys have any beta for that area, I'd love to hear it.

Brian in SLC
02-28-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm going to be heading into the Maze District next month for the first time. The planned trip is to park at the Maze Overlook, head down to the South Fork, then work my way up canyon to the road that goes through the Land of the Standing Rocks, then head East to the trail that leaves the Standing Rock campground toward the Harvest Scene Pictographs, down that canyon and then back up to the Maze Overlook.

I've looked for some info on these 'trails' and came up with almost nothing. I'm guessing they're more like routes than trails, but I'm curious about mileage, obstacles, recommended direction, camping possibilities (one nighter), water availability and pics too, those would be cool. So if any of you guys have any beta for that area, I'd love to hear it.

I've hiked to the Harvest scene from both the Overlook and the Doll House (out and back for each). I seem to dimly recall that it would have been a tad difficult trying to get from the Harvest Scene, to the Overlook, if you hadn't come in that way. Route was a bit more "exact" or exactly convoluted, or the like. Based on that, if were me, I'd go from the Overlook, to the Harvest Scene, then where ever else.

I don't recall much if any water availability on the route. But its been a number of years.

Also seem to recall that the drive into the Overlook was MUCH easier than the drive into the Doll House.

Great area...

-Brian in SLC

Scott P
02-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Sound like a good route. The most challenging part is right at first and getting to the bottom of the canyon from the Maze Overlook, so if you complete the very first part of the route, you won

mroy
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Cool, sounds like clockwise is the way to go.

I'll probably spend the night at the top of the South Fork canyon depending how things go.

Any mileage or time estimates?