PDA

View Full Version : Coyote season fizzled out...

DAA
02-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, I had a really good coyote hunting season this year over all. My partner and I averaged almost three coyotes a day for the whole season, which is pretty good for us. But it sure fizzled out right at the end here.

Turns out, the trip I wrote up a few weeks ago where we spent more time wheeling and getting the Jeep unstuck than hunting, ended up being the last trip of the year for me. Had planned to get out once or twice more before calling it a season. But... Blew out a disk in my back getting my buddies Jeep tipped back over a couple weeks ago and that pretty much put me out of commission (still...).

With the rabbit population being so high, and this winter having been so mild, I'm expecting to see some really high coyote numbers next year though. Can't wait!

- DAA

shagster
02-25-2007, 12:52 AM
I hear ya there, I can't wait either. I just got a scope on my new 204 and I can't wait to get out and give her a try. In fact maybe I will sight it in tomorrow morning. Can't wait to hear your huntin stories again next year. :2thumbs:

accadacca
02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
What he said. I enjoy reading your stuff DAA. Your a natural at writing trip reports and on your buddies Jeep...well uhhh that was great, but yeah I am sorry too. :lol8:

DAA
02-25-2007, 11:04 AM
My buddies Jeep...

It really sucks that had to happen, and it's costing him a fortune that he can't really afford. But! He already has most of the parts ordered, and as soon as my back is healed enough to start wrenching, we're gonna build it back bigger and badder than ever! I'm really hoping that within just a couple of months, I'll be able to post some pics of his rig all put back together and wheeling Moab again.

- DAA

Rev. Coyote
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, with coyote season over you can go back to ramming your ex-wife's car with your pickup. The fun never ends.

DAA
02-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, with coyote season over you can go back to ramming your ex-wife's car with your pickup. The fun never ends.

Uhhh... I don't have an ex-wife. Only been married once, 16 years now.

Asshole... Why don't you go jack off on somebody else?

- DAA

fourtycal
02-27-2007, 07:35 PM
I was thinking about calling this weekend. Just wondering why stop so soon?
been saving up for a foxpro and I'll have a hard time not trying it out this season, at least once :haha:

REDFOX
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
What causes coyote season to be over? I thought that the season was all year.

DAA
02-28-2007, 06:14 AM
You guys are exactly right - there isn't any official "season" on coyotes. It's perfectly legal to kill as many as you want, 365 days a year. And the research has shown over and over that we recreational callers have zero impact on the resource either.

It's just a personal preference with me, to leave them alone during their reproductive and pup rearing cycles. Female coyotes are monestrous, they are only "hot to trot" for two days out of the year. For most of the coyotes in our area, that happens during the last week of Feb. So, they've been mating (pairing up) for the last several weeks, and should be actively breeding this week. Pups will be dropped first week of May. Then by early fall the dispersal begins, with the YoY leaving the home territory and striking out on their own. I just prefer not to hunt them while all of that is going on. Once they reach the stage of breeding, I like to leave them alone until they are done raising the pups and dispersal is under way in the fall. I usually do go out and do some calling during the summer months, with no gun, just to get a feel for how successful the reproductive cycle has been in the areas I spend the most time hunting later in the fall.

But, that's just my choice. You can go try out that new Foxpro any time!

- DAA

fourtycal
02-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks DAA
I appreciate the feedback, I would have guessed all that would go down another month from now. Maybe if I studied these critters a bit I would have more luck.

JP
02-28-2007, 08:41 AM
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Rev. Coyote
02-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Uhhh... I don't have an ex-wife. Only been married once, 16 years now.

- DAA

Sorry, my mistake. I was referring to your earlier post regarding the violence you shared with your ex-GIRLFRIEND. To quote, "In 1990 an ex-girlfriend made a serious attempt on my life. She ran my ass over, with the car I had bought her, while I was standing in front of my house... A few weeks later, she broke in to my house and stole my dog (note - she had left HER dog and HER two cats with me and never even asked about them...). THAT hurt and pissed me off a lot more than trying to kill me (which seemed almost logical, at the time...). A couple months later she drove past me in downtown SLC, with my dog in her car. I was in my old pickup, which already had a bunch of dents in it, so I slammed into her and forced her off the road and got my dog back. A couple years later she ended up in prison for killing somebody else. Then she escaped. Then she got caught and went back. Now she's served her time and is out again. She still looks really good. She did scare me a little bit. Anyone that would steal your dog, is capable of doing anything. - DAA"

Oh, and nice mouth! You must be the Belle of the Ball at the local truckstops.

REDFOX
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
It's just a personal preference with me, to leave them alone during their reproductive and pup rearing cycles. Female coyotes are monestrous, they are only "hot to trot" for two days out of the year.
I also thought that mating season was more into March. I think that I will also sit out to allow for more coyotes later.