PDA

View Full Version : Never Kayaked but would love to learn

vamedtech
02-21-2007, 10:44 PM
I've recently had an Itch to expand my outdoor horizons. I think that kayaking might just be the thing to scratch that Itch. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone like me. I have no experience. How would you recommend I get started.

Alex
02-22-2007, 06:05 AM
Hiya, I would greatly recommend taking a few classes from UofU rec program. Specifically a guy named Gary Nichols. Gary has been teaching canoeing/kayaking/river rescue and backpacking classes at the U for over 23 years. He is a wonderful teacher and will get you up to speed to do the rivers on your own this summer. The classes can be taken without University registration, just pay the fee and you are in.

There are 3 different kayaking classes the U offers. Beginning, Intermediate and Advance. Beginning is the class you spend in the classroom and the pool, learning the rolls, bailing, paddling, etc. The next class would take you to a river, most likely Green River the daily section. The Advance class would concentrate on more advanced tactics of kayaking as well as rescue and such.

If you want to find out more about the classes, training and gear, stop by REI store on 33rd south. Gary works there part time and he is a great resource for whatever whitewater information you want to get.

Here is a link to their classes offered for spring:

http://www.acs.utah.edu/prod/bin/student/scheduling?term=1074&dept=PRTW&classtype=g&cmd=nonCreditClasses

Good luck!

utidcapaco
02-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Welcome to the forum vamedtech. I'll assume you are referring to whitewater kayaking (as opposed to recreational or sea/lake kayaking). If I were in town, I'd help you out. Since I'm not, I recommend you hook up with the Utah Whitewater Club. Even if you don't join the club, there are lots of members there that can help you get started, loan you some gear, and show you the local runs. Their website is here: http://www.utahwhitewaterclub.org. Follow the link to their message board and post your query there.

As Kazak alluded, the best way to start is to get in a kayak in the pool and learn how to Eskimo roll. Club members can point you in the direction of pool sessions (U of U, SLCC, and at least one more in SLC and in Ogden). Lots of people at the pool sessions can work with you on your roll, you just need to be a little outgoing to get the ball rolling. Nathan Packham, Larry Stewart, Mike Dege, Janis Huber, Jesse Dean, John "Red" Daniels, Jory Johner, all very helpful. Their contact info can be found on the UWC site referenced above. Feel free to tell any of them I sent you. The most important thing you can do is find a person or group you trust. Classes and lessons are great, but you can go a long way with a great mentor. Also, I have found the whitewater community in general to be very friendly and helpful.

The snow pack up there isn't great this year, but the local runs should start going within the next month or so. The Ogden and Riverdale playparks are fairly beginner friendly, depending on their flows. The best beginner run is the Henefer to Taggart stretch of the Weber. Again, the locals can help you on that, too. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know, either here or via e-mail. Welcome to paddling. . . you'll love it!

Brent
utidcapaco at hotmail dot com

:2thumbs:

gonzo
02-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Hey, cool, I didn't know the UofU did classes. I volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters, and I know my Little Brother would love to go kayaking. I'll have to see if we can enroll in some classes together.

Alex
02-22-2007, 09:05 AM
I have taken a lot of classes from Gary Nichols while I was attending the U. I will totally recommend him to the new whitewater folks to learn the ropes.