PDA

View Full Version : Caving Pack?

utidcapaco
02-20-2007, 01:31 PM
So what do you pros use as a caving pack? I explored a few caves when I was younger, but now that I have responsibilities (read: wife & kids), I like to carry my "possibles sack" with me. I scrambled and squeezed around a cave here in NM yesterday and found that the fanny pack I'd brought hindered me through tight passages. In fact, I ended up taking it off and leaving it near the entrance.

I wondered whether my low-profile backpack would have been better, but I kind of doubt it. I can't see any pack fitting though some of the squeezes we did. So, what do you do? Do you drop your pack down holes and drag it behind you with your foot or a strap? Open to any suggestions. I don't need to carry a ton, but a few things would be nice (rope, spare light, energy bar, water, first-aid, etc.).
:popcorn:

caverspencer
02-20-2007, 01:53 PM
short answer: It depends on what your doing.

You want something with as few straps and buckles to get caught or collect mud.

The favorite among cavers is a Lost creek TAG Pack. They are virtually indestructible. You can clip the straps different way and use the for a side back, a back pack, or clip them on your harness for vertical work, or clip them onto your ankle for crawling through tight passages. I have yet to see one tear and we treat our packs pretty hard. http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/catalogentry.php?subcategoryid=20&page=4&catalogentryid=188&brand=Lost%20Creek

If you are doing a lot of wet caving get a vinyl bag like the type used by rafters. They were out fast though.

Or what I would recommend for casual caving is to simply go down the the nearest army surplus store and find a good durable pack that you think will meet your needs.

jumar
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah i hate dragging my pack through a cave with lots of squeezing. I should get a caving specific pack like the one spencer recommends sometime.

jumar
02-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey, I just reached my 400th post! I'll celebrate with a bunch of random emoticons!

:sleeping: :clap: :ride: :wave: :cry: :cripple: :fishing: :pitcher: :bandit2: :user: :rockit: :headbang: :ear: :afro: :lol8: :nod: :wedgie: :clap: :cry: :oops: :chairshot: :friday: :toofunny: :kicknuts: :gents: :deadhorse: :treehugger: :spam: :whistling: :vader: :soapbox: :moses: :party: :bandit2: :ahh: :kickit: :lobby: :drums: :lol2: :hydro: :treehugger: :deadhorse: :hippy: :soapbox: :cool: :whoops: :flag: :assault:

utidcapaco
02-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the responses. In retrospect, I think maybe my question should have been more about technique than pack style. My technique sucked. In short, I admire you spelunkers if you can keep a pack on or even with you while squeezing through tight caves.
:2thumbs:

jumar
02-21-2007, 08:59 AM
I just drag it around with me. Not very fun, and not very efficient in caves with a lot of squeezing. A better pack would probably go along way for me.