PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing the Big Bear Lake

shagster
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Monday Feb. 19th proved to be a very slow day Ice fishing up at Bear Lake. We hit the ice around 7:00 a.m. hoping to get a good start. We started just north of the Utah State marina on the Cisco rock pile. After drilling a couple of holes and dropping the fish finder in we discovered that we were only in about 40 ft. of water, it was definitely too shallow. We decided to move to the rock pile just off of Sweetwater beach. I'll have to tell you I was a little nervous driving the four wheeler all the way across the ice. We did hit a few cracks in the ice where there was a 1-2 foot gap and water rushing onto the ice. There was plenty of ice though. When we arrived at the sweetwater rock pile we were greeted by about 50 other groups(crowded day on the lake). We dropped in the fish finder and ended up being 85 ft. deep. That was perfect. Needless to say the fishing was very slow. We caught two fish all day long and only had a few other bites. Both fish were bear lake cutts, around 2.8 lbs, and 20 in. long. I guess I will have to go back until I get my big laker. The ice is still plenty thick ranging from about 8-16 in. in most spots.

If anyone else has had success up at Bear Lake this year I would love to hear about it.

accadacca
02-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Nice lookin' feesh n' stuff... :popcorn:

Sombeech
02-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Still looks like a decent day.

shagster
02-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Still looks like a decent day.

It was a great day, a few snow showers here and there, and a little wind. I think the temps were in the 20's. It wasn't too bad.