PDA

View Full Version : SERVER UPGRADE #3...Big Kahuna

accadacca
02-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Whats up with the Server?

Well, I bit the bullet, pulled the trigger, took the leap! :haha:

If you ever experienced this error (white screen) or noticed that the site was slower during peak times. Well, it was because our server processes had peaked. This new server will solve those problems.

Service Temporarily Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.Apache/1.3.37 Server at uutah.com <http> Port 80

Now, the "old" server was quite adequate. We were nowhere near our disk space or bandwidth quotas and actually we rarely received a "capacity" error. I wont go into great detail to explain "processes," but each click or request that a user makes, equals a server process in some way, depending on what the user is asking the server to do. So the heavy traffic times would see our processes reach 21-24 and they would occasionally reach 30, which would cause the error to occur. Our new limit of processes is 60! This server upgrade is mainly to prepare for the future and be ready for it. If we miss the window, we could potentially lose valuables members of the site and obviously lose the traffic in general. If you are interested in our numbers, I will list them below. And JFYI, this will be the third server upgrade that the site has had since December 04.

How can I Help?

Well, the Google ads (located just above the image bar and at the bottom of the screen in the gray box) have been helping pay server fees and the current trends are saying that they should cover it. So, if you see an ad that interests you, give it a click (we are paid in part by ad clicks) and purchase from these vendors. This will help support uutah.com. :2thumbs:

The Numbers

Old Server:

Disk Space: 10 GB
Bandwidth Transfer: 400 GB
Max Processes: 30

New Server:

Disk Space: 40 GB
Bandwidth Transfer: 1000 GB
Max Processes: 60

tanya
02-18-2007, 07:13 PM
You could throw up a Pay Pall donation button too. Some might want to make a direct donation rather than buying something where you only get a small portion of it.

Just a thought. :cool2:

marc olivares
02-18-2007, 07:25 PM
You could throw up a Pay Pall donation button too. Some might want to make a direct donation rather than buying something where you only get a small portion of it.

Just a thought. :cool2:

LOL...i brought this us a while back too

i'd much rather donate than click those stinkin' google ad

:ne_nau:

Sombeech
02-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I second the notion.

Some days I'll just feel like paying a couple o' bucks towards it. I think a donations banner would be good.

Cirrus2000
02-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I second the notion.

Some days I'll just feel like paying a couple o' bucks towards it. I think a donations banner would be good.
Me three. (Actually, four I guess.)

You don't have to put it everywhere. Even just a single sticky thread in All about uutah with a single button in a single post.

shagster
02-21-2007, 09:13 PM
That's not a bad idea. I think it could work or at least help out a little. I am willing..