PDA

View Full Version : College Football Time Clock

DiscGo
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
NCAA still trying to find ways to speed up game

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- An NCAA committee has proposed rolling back some football rules that were enacted last season to shorten games after coaches complained the changes were unfair.

The NCAA football rules committee, meeting Wednesday in Albuquerque, N.M., recommended going back to starting the clock on the snap after a change of possession instead of when the referee signals the ball ready for play.

It also suggested starting the clock on kickoffs after the ball is touched by the receiving team rather than when it is kicked.

"We feel the changes in 2007 are going to restore plays and are going to provide action for the players and fans, but at the same time we're going to diminish the dead time involved in the management of games," said Michael Clark, chair of the committee and head coach at Bridgewater College in Virginia.

Last season, the average Division I-A game lasted 3 hours, 7 minutes -- 14 minutes shorter than in 2005. In 2006, games averaged 127.5 plays, 14 fewer than a year earlier.

Coaches complained about the rule changes last season, particularly the rule starting the clock when the referee signaled.

"Most of the coaches were against the rules, felt it was unfair," said Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, a committee member. "All levels of football, when coaches were surveyed, were against that rule."

To make up for the time being added back, the committee proposed the following changes:

DiscGo
02-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I was very dissatisfied last year with the new clock rules. I don't mind the game being 4 hours (instead of 3). So I am happy that the NCAA at least seems to be flexible in trying to change the rules again to improve the game.

Iceaxe
02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
The original changes had nothing to do with improving the game.... that was just the positive spin.

They are trying to shorten the games to fit into a 3 hour time block for TV, not for the fans..... money, money, money...

DiscGo
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm totally with you about it all being about money. I'm just glad they are trying to make the new time rules suck less :haha:

Iceaxe
02-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah.... I mean how can they say it's for the fans with a straight face when the fans get 14 fewer plays for their ticket?

:ne_nau: