PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mace?

chabidiah
02-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I have heard of bear mace but do they make bear tazzers or maybe a tranquilizer gun. I would love to try a tranq gun on Jaxx, he would drop like a bear. Anyone? :defend:

Jaxx
02-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Im too quick, you wouldn't be able to get a bead on me!
Are you really looking for bear mace/tazer/tranq ?

Alex
02-16-2007, 11:08 AM
When I used to work in the Montana wilderness, we had to carry one of these with us at all times: http://tinyurl.com/7gm34

http://images.rei.com/media/506021.jpg

I never had to use it for real, but the reach and the radius was quite convincing. I also smelled the spray and I thought I was going to die, my eyes almost popped out. Couldn't see for about 15 minutes after, I don't recommend doing that.

gonzo
02-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I used to sell that stuff, but I've had to use it on a bear. I don't think you'd really want a bear taser - I don't think you'd have much luck getting it through their fur.

I've gotten spray back from pepper spray before - it's quite nasty. (Although, probably not nearly as nasty as getting it full force in the face). The idea behind pepper spray is that because it affects your sinuses and causes your eyes to swell shut it works even on people (and bears) that have a high tolerance for pain. Mace is a pain agent, so it turns out to be ineffective on certain people (notoriously PCP users) and bears.

The best defense against a bear is to wear a bell when you're out hiking. Bells remind bears of Christmas, and since they're godless killing machines who hate Christmas, they'll immediately run away. (Thanks to Stephen Colbert for the tip!)

Jaxx
02-16-2007, 02:41 PM
and since they're godless killing machines who hate Christmas, they'll immediately run away.

Oh my gosh that is so freakin funny, im crying now! :roflol:

basilone0331
02-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I was watching when he said that, and was rolling on the ground.

chabidiah
02-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I am laughing so hard that i actually pee my pants a little. :roflol:

denaliguide
02-23-2007, 02:42 AM
a bell? remember what pavlov's dog did when heard a bell?

chabidiah
02-28-2007, 06:51 PM
yeah, didnt they poop on demand. :roflol: