PDA

View Full Version : SAR Saves Teens Stuck In Cave

Iceaxe
02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Just curious... anyone know what cave they were in?

Mountain Rescue Team Saves Teens Stuck In Cave

(KUTV) SALT LAKE CITY News out of Ogden Thursday night where two teenage boys found themselves trapped in a cave.

It happened just north of Ogden Canyon at about 900 North Mountain Road.

Police say two 16-year-olds were in need of rescue and had to wait several hours to be brought to safety.

Lieutenant Jeff Malan with the Weber County Sheriff

jumar
02-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Garners?

jumar
02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
From what I hear from some of the local cavers, it's not really a cave. More of a shelter. News blowing things out of proportion again

Iceaxe
02-13-2007, 10:44 AM
How do you get trapped in a shelter :ne_nau:

jumar
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
This is how Dave Shurtz described it. Hope he doesn't mind me copying his comments

This is not a cave number one. It is a shelter with a steep approach. There is an arch just above it which makes climbing out the top difficult for non climbers. It is possible to preassure walk up into the shelter but unnerving to try to do so in reverse. So many people have been rescued from this cliff that it has been nicknamed rescue cave by the local search and rescue.

jumar
02-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Here's a more recent update on this story I just found
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5193778?source=rss

Teens rescued after five hours trapped at mouth of cave
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/09/2007 09:06:46 AM MST

Posted: 8:52 AM- As two teens now know, it's easier to climb to Hognose Cave in the mountains north of Ogden than it is to get back down.
A rescue team that included 17 climbers spent about four hours Thursday night retrieving the two 16-year-olds from the mouth of the cave near 900 N. Mountain Road, according to Weber County Deputy Brent Butler.
Apparently lured by the spring-like weather, the boys decided to hike to the cave after school. They didn't have any gear or warm clothing, and the cell phones they carried didn't have service on the mountain, Butler said.
The deputy described the area of Hognose Cave as a "flytrap" on the mountain. "You can get up there on all fours, but once you're up it's really difficult to get back down without climbing gear," he said.
People who live at the base of the mountain heard the boys yelling for help and called 911 around 5 p.m. Rescuers called for the climbing teams an hour later.
One team of four climbers made their way from the bottom of the mountain and were able to talk to the boys, "who were a little upset and wanted to climb down," Butler said. The climbers had the teens stay put as another team rappelled from the top of the mountain with gear for the boys. A third team was on stand-by at the command center.
The rescuers helped the teens off the mountain and they were reunited with their parents by 10 p.m., Butler said.
There were no injuries to the boys or the rescuers.

price1869
03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
[color=darkblue][
A mountain rescue team was brought in to rope up the teens and then help them repel off the mountain.

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_040000803.html

Repel? were there mosquitos? (I know it was KSL's spelling. I looked at the article.)

jumar
03-06-2007, 07:00 AM
:roflol: