PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering Fatalities

rockgremlin
02-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Just wondering what the statistics are on this. Is there a resource that tracks fatalities in slot canyons? Also, on a percentage basis, what is the highest cause of death? I'm guessing the most common categories are:

1. Hypothermia
2. Drowning/Flash flood
3. Falling rock or other debris
4. Fall due to failure of rappel setup (ie the anchor fails, or the rappel line is cut on a sharp edge, etc)
5. Non-rappel related falls
6. Other?

Of these, my opinion is that the most common killer would probably be flash floods, followed by hypothermia.

Thoughts anyone? Am I totally off base?

stefan
02-12-2007, 11:17 AM
so i don't know if this tallies all flashflood deaths, as i am sure there are some which aren't known.

but here are the known FF deaths in utah tallied by the NWS

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/projects/disasters/flood_stats/flood_deaths.php

price1869
02-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Of these, my opinion is that the most common killer would probably be flash floods, followed by hypothermia.

You're way off. The most common cause of death is stupidity, closely followed by someone else's stupidity. :nono:

rockgremlin
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM

You're way off. The most common cause of death is stupidity, closely followed by someone else's stupidity. :nono:

:lol8: Ya, and if you're in a Nat'l Park, you can blame it on the stupidity of the park rangers for issuing a permit...(coughKolob....cough, cough). Sorry, Ive got a cold.