PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Liberty on the Moab Rim trail

LibertyN8
02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftV-uR-fWb0

This guy is from a Jeep club I belong to called L.O.S.T (Liberty Owners Special Team). Liberty owners from all over the U.S. hit Moab trails in April. I know that Libertys are not as capable off-road as wranglers but I have seen some built to handle the rough stuff!

JP
02-12-2007, 06:41 AM
I know that Libertys are not as capable
Throw in a solid axle up front and they would be fine :2thumbs:

LibertyN8
02-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I know that Libertys are not as capable
Throw in a solid axle up front and they would be fine :2thumbs:

You mean like this one!!!!!!

scoutabout
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I'll never understand why someone will go through the cost and labor of doing a straight axle swap. If you want to increase the off-road performance of your vehicle that bad, then buy a different one.

For what they are, I think the Liberty's are just fine. I've wheeled with quite a few. Maybe you know Troy Young from the LOST KJ's group?

JP
02-13-2007, 06:18 AM
You mean like this one!!!!!!
That's exactly what I'm talking about :roflol:

I'll never understand why someone will go through the cost and labor of doing a straight axle swap. If you want to increase the off-road performance of your vehicle that bad, then buy a different one.

For what they are, I think the Liberty's are just fine.
Your final comment that you made in your post is the reason why you don't understand.
There are no vehicles that are built by any manufacturer that would be good enough for me. Heavy modifications are needed to make me happy. :haha:

IFS (It F-ing Sucks) is under more of these vehicles because of cost to the manufacturer. It's cheaper for them to install IFS than it is to install a solid axle. The cost to maintain the IFS is more to the consumer than that of the solid axle. And the selling point, it rides like a car. If I wanted my SUV or pickup to ride like a car, I would have bought one :2thumbs:

For the stuff that we get into, heavy modifications are needed. Get the weight down and throw Dana 60's under it so you won't have to worry about breaking axles. It really sucks replacing axles and boy does it ruin the day.

Throwing a solid axle under a full bodied KJ is a little piece of mind when he heads out on the trail. I just hope he tossed the 35 out the window as well :haha: Having a full bodied vehicle he probably drives that KJ quite often, if not, it just maybe the daily driver. So he may possibly need to rely on that KJ and again, making it more reliable for his needs is key.

With the IFS you are extremely limited when taking it off road.

When you start 4wheeling and you grow more confident a stock vehicle just doesn't cut it. Lift after lift, larger tires, gear upgrades, lockers, axle swap, more gears, more lockers and the quest never ends. It's an addiction :haha:

scoutabout
02-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm not talking about all modification. That's a part of life for a real wheeler. I'm talking about taking an inferior platforms (Liberty's, Xterra's, Subaru Outbacks) and sinking tons of money into them with SAS and other serious mods. If you're going to make those kinds of mods, then start with a better platform or build a buggy.

Scott P
02-13-2007, 06:07 PM
I've driven a stock Samurai up the Moab Rim. Don't need vehicle modifications for that one :2thumbs:

LibertyN8
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM

For what they are, I think the Liberty's are just fine. I've wheeled with quite a few. Maybe you know Troy Young from the LOST KJ's group?

Yep, I have done some trails with Troy in Moab lol There is a good writeup on this build up here http://home.comcast.net/~jedijawa/ he was running on 37" maxxis tires in this pic (hey scoutabout that is troy's KJ behind him hehe)

JP
02-13-2007, 08:35 PM
If you're going to make those kinds of mods, then start with a better platform or build a buggy.
That's just it. some want they're daily driver to be some of those you mentioned and a suspension and axle swap is all that they might need. A buggy is not getting you to work. It becomes personal preference and I have nothing against anyone for building anything :five:

I've driven a stock Samurai up the Moab Rim. Don't need vehicle modifications for that one :2thumbs:
I have had a few of those and their short wheelbase is their Achilles heel :nod:
I'll get back with a pic on that :2thumbs:

DiscGo
02-15-2007, 03:11 PM

Yep, I have done some trails with Troy in Moab lol There is a good writeup on this build up here http://home.comcast.net/~jedijawa/ he was running on 37" maxxis tires in this pic (hey scoutabout that is troy's KJ behind him hehe)

Wow. Those are some crazy pictures! I have a couple of pictures of my jeep... driving down a flat dirt road :mrgreen:

JP
02-16-2007, 06:43 AM
I'll get back with a pic on that :2thumbs:
I wheeled these things as well :haha:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/P1010002-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/P1010003-3.jpg