PDA

View Full Version : Product Review AWD?

DiscGo
02-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I just bought a LL Bean Edition Outback. It has AWD (and it is supposed to be Subaru's 2nd best AWD system) but I have never owned a vehicle that was not 4x4 before my outback. Do any of you guys have AWD? I"m trying to figure out how worried I should be while driving in bad conditions.

(I am not looking for driving advice but AWD experiences)

Udink
02-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I can't speak for Subaru's AWD, but I own an old 4WD Subaru (http://www.udink.org/pictures/04212003/147-4771_img.jpg) with a dual-range transfer case. If the newer AWDs are at all improved over their old 4WDs, then they must be awesome. Of course, the newer ones don't have as much suspension travel and have a lot of plastic to worry about scraping on the ground, but improvements in reliability and fuel mileage are well-worth the tradeoff.

nosivad_bor
02-11-2007, 11:59 AM
awd is pretty nice, unless you are rock crawling or flexing the suspension to the point where you lift a tire the AWD should be fine and is a big improvement over standard front wheel drive car.

scoutabout
02-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I can't speak for Subaru's AWD, but I own an old 4WD Subaru (http://www.udink.org/pictures/04212003/147-4771_img.jpg) with a dual-range transfer case ... Of course, the newer ones don't have as much suspension travel and have a lot of plastic to worry about scraping on the ground...

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

DiscGo
02-12-2007, 11:43 AM
awd is pretty nice, unless you are rock crawling or flexing the suspension to the point where you lift a tire the AWD should be fine and is a big improvement over standard front wheel drive car.

That is good to hear. Thanks.

jamesdak
02-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Let my add my experience to this. I've got a 2002 WRX and for 8 years (just sold it) we had a Dodge Grand Caravan AWD. With true snow tires on them they have proven to be tanks in the snow. I drive Trappers Loop out of Ogden Valley every morning and have never had a problem. Even when I beat the snowplows. Last year I followed a snowplow up the road after a heavy storm. He turned off to go into snowbasin and that left me to go back down the mountain in very deep unplowed snow. I was only doing about 20 mph but the snow was cascading over the hood it was so deep. Still, no problems. I've also been able to take the van out Powder Mountain Road during a storm wnen even chained up 4x4 trucks were having problems. I think a good pair of snowtires make all the difference.

R
02-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Dan, we've had the snowiest winters in memory here in Oklahoma. Oddly, for the first year ever, Abby and I have vehicles for it. Abby's Jeep Grand Cherokee has full-time 4WD, and is amazing in the snow. My Nissan Rogue is AWD, and, quite honestly, has yet to let me down. One reason I liked it and ended up buying it is that for a crossover, it has very decent ground clearance. There was one occasion in the parking lot at my office, which was covered in about six inches of snow. I started to back out and felt it lose traction, so I hit the "AWD Lock" button, and it was then like dry pavement. Very happy with my AWD.

DOSS
02-15-2010, 07:45 AM
I am on my second Subaru with AWD.. and have AWD in my XJ.. the Subaru is great in nasty roads sometimes it is annoying when I want to slide the Forester and can't due to it having too much traction :)

RedMan
02-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I am on my second Subaru with AWD.. and have AWD in my XJ.. the Subaru is great in nasty roads sometimes it is annoying when I want to slide the Forester and can't due to it having too much traction :)

I recommend the pedal on the right. Just keep pushing it DOWN.

DOSS
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM

I recommend the pedal on the right. Just keep pushing it DOWN.

Oh I do.. it is easier by far in the Jeep though.. to get it to slide the forester likes to stick to the ground even in the snot..

DiscGo
02-15-2010, 10:03 AM
After having the Outback for 3 years, I can tell you guys that I have loved having the AWD. I have loved my Subaru.