PDA

View Full Version : New here from Germany

americanhero
02-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi, I'm Yvonne from Germany and I'm happy I discovered this real cool Forum.
I got a lot of information from here for my next Utah trip in May/June and I can't wait until I'm back in Utah again.

I'm a former marathon runner, do a lot of hiking, like camping, surfing, biking and especially traveling. Some years ago I hiked the french Pyrenees and since them I'm looking for some great trails.

Greetz,

Yvonne

DiscGo
02-11-2007, 08:09 AM
americanhero-

Believe it or not.... this site is awesome. I hope you find it as helpful as I have. People here are really friendly and we love seeing pictures of hikes and adventures.

P.S. Being from Germany you may not catch the reference of "believe it or now" but there used to be a show called "The Greatest American Hero" and "believe it or not" was the start of the chorus.
P.P.S. I'm officially random.

accadacca
02-11-2007, 09:29 AM
A big welcome from over the pond. I am a big BMW motorcycle fan and I would love to visit Germany. Fire away with those questions about Utah.

stefan
02-11-2007, 09:52 AM
welcome from afar :gents:

since you're from germany, i thought i'd pass on a little anecdote a friend of mine once told me.

so he used to work for arches nat'l park and he was once talking to a german tourist, there, about the appeal of utah and the western united states in general. amongst the general beauty that has blessed this area, europeans seem to really love the seemingly unadulterated open space, devoid of civilization, and i think he was trying to convey this. somehow my friend didn't quite smell what he was cookin', so to speak, so the german tourist put it a little more straightforwardly.

"germany is about the size of utah ... in utah you have 2 million people, in germany we have 80 million."

"ahh ... i gotcha," my friend responded.

i've always loved that story

americanhero
02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
A big welcome from over the pond. I am a big BMW motorcycle fan and I would love to visit Germany. Fire away with those questions about Utah.

I just started to ask around and a lot of questions will follow up. :mrgreen:
Germany ... you will miss the wide open spaces , that's a reason I like the Southwest so much.

i've always loved that story

cool story, but that exactly is the reason so many Germans like Utah and the West. When I come back after a trip to the US, I always get a kind of mild culture schock. 'Cause everything is so narrow and small here in Germany. And if I wanna go hiking, I have to travel a couple hundred of miles.

stefan
02-11-2007, 08:13 PM
i know, and i use this story frequently as on of a billion reasons we need to place strong protections on MUCH of this wonderful land :2thumbs:

unfortunately, i think the state of utah takes what it has for granted

Sombeech
02-11-2007, 10:36 PM
welcome to the forum!

nefarious
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Yvonne.

I traveled through Germany not long after the wall came down. Lots of Trabants were still on the road back then, but I wasn't allowed to bring one home with me. I settled for a couple of East German Marks and a piece of painted concrete instead.

I thought at the time what a great challenge it must be for West Germany to absord the East, and I was really impressed how hard the German people worked to make a reunified Germany. Apparently, many of my countrymen were also impressed as the United States is currently in the process of reunifying with Mexico. :wink:

Anyhoo...what sites do you plan to see when you come back to Utah? Do you have any favorites?

RugerShooter
02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
like everyone else has said WELCOME to uutah

DirkHammergate
02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi, I'm Yvonne from Germany and I'm happy I discovered this real cool Forum.
I got a lot of information from here for my next Utah trip in May/June and I can't wait until I'm back in Utah again.

I'm a former marathon runner, do a lot of hiking, like camping, surfing, biking and especially traveling. Some years ago I hiked the french Pyrenees and since them I'm looking for some great trails.

Greetz,

Yvonne

Yvonne,

Hallo und hei

greyhair biker
02-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Guten Tag! and welcome :2thumbs: Im first generation american...dad was born in east berlin..but I speak very little german anymore. :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
02-23-2007, 07:59 AM
From the land of fine beer..... Sweet....

:2thumbs: Welcome :2thumbs:

americanhero
03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
From the land of fine beer..... Sweet....

:2thumbs: Welcome :2thumbs:

Yepp, one of the things I don't wanna miss :cheers:

@greyhair biker and @ DirkHammergate:

That's cute. :2thumbs:

Some years ago I spent a few months in the States, but I also forget a lot . So I look forward to my vacation. That means great hikes and 4WD tours and also improving my language skills a little bit. :mrgreen:

Anyhoo...what sites do you plan to see when you come back to Utah? Do you have any favorites?

Hm, we will spent a few days in the Grand Staircase National Monument, The Swell and the Moab Ara and also at the Coyote Buttes and White Pocket.

DirkHammergate
03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Hm, we will spent a few days in the Grand Staircase National Monument, The Swell and the Moab Ara and also at the Coyote Buttes and White Pocket.

One reason my Alias is Austrian is I love German food. Think about how ****ing funny that last statement is.

I goto Seigfried's once a week for a Bratwurst. Damn good.

When are you visiting Utah?

accadacca
03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
One reason my Alias is Austrian is I love German food. Think about how F*****g funny that last statement is.

Tell me that you've been to the Bohemian Brewery on 7200 South just east of State? Damn good euro food...

DirkHammergate
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
One reason my Alias is Austrian is I love German food. Think about how F*****g funny that last statement is.

Tell me that you've been to the Bohemian Brewery on 7200 South just east of State? Damn good euro food...

Yes, good. I try to lunch it cause I don't drink anymore and German food tends to go better with drink.... so yea, lunch. Its very good though, I like Seigfrieds better.

americanhero
03-03-2007, 01:56 PM

German food?
Hm, I like American food, especially a real steak. In Germany they are so small, you have to search for them on your plate behind the potatoes. :roll:
A steak and a cool beer, that are the things I need to be happy. And being outdoor.

I will start with my Utah trip on Memorial Day. Traveling around for approxiamately 2,5 weeks. Searching for some Arches, Red Rocks and highlights off the beaten path. :mrgreen:

So we planned White Pocket, CBS, Wahweap Hoodoos und Rimrocks, also Alstrom Point near Page and Waterholes Canyon.
Then we will going North to the Hanksville area, Moab area with White Rim Road, Negro Bill Canyon and Arches with Willow Flats, Eye of the Whale and Salt Valley Road.
Hm, also the Swell with the Wedge Overlook, Reds Canyon Loop, Crack Canyon and Little Wild Horse. The last few day we will spend in Zion :nod: and Little Finland before heading to Las Vegas.

Gringodiablo
06-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey how goes it? Lived in Gelnhausen for awhile. If interested try the Grand Canyon Bright Angel down to Phantom Ranch rest a bit, then up and out South Kaibab. You might wait till the climate cools down, it can get HOT! :2thumbs:

Gringodiablo