PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Land Rovers

KillEmAll
02-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Last winter I traded my '96 Cherokee in and upgraded the family to a mini van... man that's depressing to say... leaving me without a 4x4. The van isn't cuttin' it -just ask acca, they aren't made for hauling bikes and off roading. I'm thinking of picking me up a another car, possibly a '98 Land Rover Discover. Does anyone have experiences with them that they'd like to share? An avid outdoor group like this you think would have a few right? For some reason I'm much more hesitant, yet excited, about getting a Rover rather than another cherokee. I'm a bit worried about the cost of ownership. Also, I'd rather not have 3 vehicles but I commute alot of miles and I'm not sure the rover would be ideal for that. Since the cars paid off I might hang on to it.

tanya
02-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Last winter I traded my '96 Cherokee in and upgraded the family to a mini van... man that's depressing to say... leaving me without a 4x4. The van isn't cuttin' it -just ask acca, they aren't made for hauling bikes and off roading. I'm thinking of picking me up a another car, possibly a '98 Land Rover Discover. Does anyone have experiences with them that they'd like to share? An avid outdoor group like this you think would have a few right? For some reason I'm much more hesitant, yet excited, about getting a Rover rather than another cherokee. I'm a bit worried about the cost of ownership. Also, I'd rather not have 3 vehicles but I commute alot of miles and I'm not sure the rover would be ideal for that. Since the cars paid off I might hang on to it.

I have a land rover and I love it! Its pricey to get fixed though! Mine is a 98 that I bought used a couple of years ago. I am not a hard core 4 wheel drive type, but I have to do a lot of it to get to various trailheads... the rover has never failed. There is no one around here that can repair one however and even in St. George there is only one place. If you live in the SLC area you may not have that problem.

http://www.eastziontourismcouncil.org/images/jpeg/atv.jpg

KillEmAll
02-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks Tanya! You've got exactly the year and model I was looking at.

Its pricey to get fixed though!

That's the only thing that scares me.

So what kind of gas mileage would you say you get?

tanya
02-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Tanya! You've got exactly the year and model I was looking at.

Its pricey to get fixed though!

That's the only thing that scares me.

So what kind of gas mileage would you say you get?

It gets about 15 mpg

There is one more around here and it belongs to Commissioner Habbishaw. We were at the same meeting on night and I was trying to unlock his rover with my key. Then I saw one from out of town just like it but it was decked out llike crazy. Now that rover looked hot!!!

It was leaking power steering fluid and the bill over over $1,000 to fix it. My husband was furious.

As Stefan knows... I like to be different and the rover is just that! That is what I love about it.

donny h
02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I know nothing of Land Rover, but if they're half as capable as the older ones, they look like fun.

KillEmAll
02-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow! It can do lots of things. I don't think I'll need to carry goats, but at least I know they can do it. One other thing I hope they can do is NOT break down on me.

JP
02-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Buy a Grand Cherokee :hail2thechief:

scoutabout
02-10-2007, 01:07 AM
A recent survey showed that Land Rovers experience 538 instances of required service per 100 vehicles. That's a lot of maintenance time. I think they are nice vehicles, but I wouldn't like to deal with that kind of unreliability.

DiscGo
02-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm about to sell my jeep, but I'll tell you what I sure have loved it. My jeep has been so darn reliable and it has gotten me wherever I have needed to go and lot of places I shouldn't have.

asdf
02-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Land Rovers are at the top of the "do not buy used" list. If you have the $ to buy a brand new one go for it.

This is what i have my eye on... 4x4 4-Liter V6 Engine Manual Starting at $23,290.
http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/M/U/bwfjcruiser_det.jpg

Ratman
02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
I own a 1971 Series IIa 109 Land Rover. This is my second Rover. It

DiscGo
02-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow. That is very orange. That has to be fun to have a unique land rover.

Scout Master
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
At $58,000.00 for a new Land Rover you could buy a Toyota Cruzer or 4 runner AND a boat AND two 4 wheelers AND a trailer to pull them AND two Snow Mobiles AND still have enough left to take the kids to Disney land.
Your Neighbors will still be just as impressed.

KillEmAll
02-10-2007, 10:34 AM
At $58,000.00 for a new Land Rover you could buy a Toyota Cruzer or 4 runner AND a boat AND two 4 wheelers AND a trailer to pull them AND two Snow Mobiles AND still have enough left to take the kids to Disney land.
Your Neighbors will still be just as impressed.

Yeah, I don't have that kind of coin. We're only talking about $6,000 for a '98.

nosivad_bor
02-10-2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.discoweb.org/robdavison/122201.jpg

http://www.discoweb.org/robdavison/DSC00141.jpg

Here is the deal with buying your used Disco. How handy are you with doing carfixing things.? If you are capable of doing your own maintenence you can enjoy your Discovery.

The fact you are interested in whats known as a Disco1 you are in a good place. The 98 years is one of the best to get. in 1999 they stoped producing the disco1 in and began selling the disco2. I think the disco2 is a great truck but there are jsut too many electronics on it to really be able to maintain yourself.

So lets assume you buy yourself a disco1.

Here is what life can me like, a marrige of sorts. You will want to get to know the vehicle. crawl under it, check tosee where its leaking oil, because it will be leaking somewhere. Usually not enought to cause a problem, you need to keep topping it off. but this is where that maintence comes in. after the leak starts you are going to want to fix it if you want to keep the truck reliable. maybe not the instant it starts but start saving up for the gaskets and tools you might need, then goto www.discoweb.org check out the bulliten board and use the search function. this is a salty crowd and they will make fun of you for asking a stupid question. my suggestion is to roll with the razzing or tell them to f off and continue asking questions, people will eventually help. For that matter you could email or pm me I use the same screen name there as here and I'll either know your problem or can get you the answer in a short while.

Anyway back on the subject. after you spend your weekend chasing oil leaks and things like that you ar eeventually going to have to do some preventative maintnence as the truck is getting up there in age. Again, planning this out is the best way. do not let the truck get to the point here things fail, like driveshafts or bearings or things of that nature. get under there learn the car and replace or repair in advance.

i an send you a link to where you can download the factory workshop manual online for free. this will be your guiding light when troublshooting and doing repairs.

aside from tha maintenece. i would not drive any other vehicle. i love land rovers and the heritage. i love the way you sit in the seat with high class surrounding you, i love the stout components the britishness and the community of land rover owners. You should buy this truck if you want more than your average car. If you dont have the love at the begging or dont find it early on, you might hate the truck.

I drive mine all over. its the white one in the picture above. I also own a 1989 range rover classic. they are almot the same vehicle underneath with tons of parts swpping over. i actually prefer the range rover classic in many ways. Picture of my highly tricked green rover is above too. i sold that a whil ago to buy a house.

i can see im rambling a bit and i hope your not too freaked out over the mainanence thing, but if you stay on top of the maintence these trucks are sooooo much nicer to own. that said i am going out to the garage now to work on mine. :)

any questions please feel free to ask. I'm sure Marc Olivares will pop in here to give some sound advice.

_Rob

DirkHammergate
02-10-2007, 01:13 PM
A recent survey showed that Land Rovers experience 538 instances of required service per 100 vehicles. That's a lot of maintenance time. I think they are nice vehicles, but I wouldn't like to deal with that kind of unreliability.

I've heard that, I have a 98 disco and have only had to do the breaks over the last 6 years. Its was alot but I found a place to do it for 750. Its been my most reliable car ever, I have 126K on it. Although I'd like to trade it in for a Prius I haven't found anything to complain about it yet.

Tayna, we're soul mates baby...

tanya
02-10-2007, 01:35 PM

I've heard that, I have a 98 disco and have only had to do the breaks over the last 6 years. Its was alot but I found a place to do it for 750. Its been my most reliable car ever, I have 126K on it. Although I'd like to trade it in for a Prius I haven't found anything to complain about it yet.

Tanya, we're soul mates baby...

I have felt that Handsome. :five: Love your personality! Characters are great!

Reedus
02-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I always wanted one cause they look so awesome, but my friend bought a 98 and had it in the shop every other week for something. He was shelling out a lot of dough to get it constantly fixed. If I had the time, I would still get one and do the repairs myself, but I don't. I bought an Xterra instead and the only maintainance I have had to do is replace the battery when it died after 5 years. I gets around 20 on the highway and it is more or less built for offroad activities. The big thing I love about it is the rear seat cushions come out so the back seats can lay flat. I spent all last summer living in it while I worked out of town. If I had the dough I would trick it out like so:

KillEmAll
02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the info Rob. Nice pics by the way. Most likely this will end up being a secondary vehicle if I were to get it. I could do a lot of the work myself as long as it's nothing major.

Dirk, glad to hear the disco went to the deserving half. :haha:

I'm sure Marc Olivares will pop in here to give some sound advice.
I was hoping he'd chime in. I'm sure he's got plenty to say about the subject.

Oh, and it'd be much appreciated if you gave me the link for the manual you mentioned. :naughty:

nosivad_bor
02-10-2007, 06:20 PM
marc's out playing with shane today, not sure when they are getting back.

marc and some others created a website for SLC rovers. not much too it right now but there is a new forum.

www.wasatchrovers.com

if you click on "About" there is a difficult to find link that takes you here.

http://forums.utahrovers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Don't be scared off by the mainentence its not that bad or often.

for instance i could have fixed tanya's PS leak from somewhere in the range of 100-350 bucks in three hours time, depending on why it was leaking. I know this because i've owned 4 differnt land rovers and have tended to the power steering on everone. :)

http://www.landrover.ee/est/varia/downloads/cars.htm

its the last link at the bottom, for 95-96 disco .

a 1998 is the same as the 1996 mechanically.

JP
02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the info Rob
Just curious, why a Rover?

KillEmAll
02-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Just want something I can take off-road. I'm not sure of anything yet. I was initially looking into a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, but was a bit surprised at the price of a Rover. I've owned a Cherokee and really liked it though so I may stick with what I know. Plus with a Cherokee I won't have to keep the Accord for commuting.

scoutabout
02-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Just want something I can take off-road. I'm not sure of anything yet. I was initially looking into a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, but was a bit surprised at the price of a Rover. I've owned a Cherokee and really liked it though so I may stick with what I know. Plus with a Cherokee I won't have to keep the Accord for commuting.

Surprised by the price being low for the older models? It's due to maintenance. Yes, you can maintain it yourself, but if you're looking for a vehicle to just drive then don't get a rover. Get the grand cherokee.

KillEmAll
02-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Surprised by the price being low for the older models? It's due to maintenance. Yes, you can maintain it yourself, but if you're looking for a vehicle to just drive then don't get a rover. Get the grand cherokee.

I figured that. Although I hear a lot from both sides... many say they have little maintenance, others say they are always in the shop. I've noticed though that people who say they are crap piles only "know" someone who had a friend who's cousin owned one and it was always breaking down. That's not to say I don't expect them to have a lot of upkeep. I just get the feeling there are some urban myths around them.

I've already decided if I get a Rover I'm keeping my other car, just for the fact that they are a good car for commuting in.

One thing I'd like to know... why the heck are people asking so much for regular Cherokees?! When I started looking I just was looking for one of those but they are asking just as much as Grand Cherokees, often times much higher than blue book.

accadacca
02-11-2007, 03:28 PM
All those comments about leaking oil and wrenching under the hood got me. My Toyota pickup has 200K and has never lost one drop of ANYTHING!

If I was in the market and had some coin, I would seriously cosider a new FJ. If I was looking for something 10 years old and didn't want to be under the hood ever weekend and have to worry on long trips if I was going to get there. Then I would look for a landcruiser.

Yeah, I am a Toyota biznatch. But they have been really good to me and I don't like wrenchin' that much.

KillEmAll
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I am a Toyota biznatch. But they have been really good to me and I don't like wrenchin' that much.

The only problem with Toys is that they hold thier value too well. It sucks being on the outside looking in on that club. Plus landcruisers are hard to come by. They're one of my all-time favorite vehicles - hope to own one someday.

marc olivares
02-11-2007, 06:10 PM
so ya wanna buy a rova' do ya....

well, let me be the first to welcome you into the brotherhood.

i'll start by dispelling the myths of Land Rovers being unreliable vehicles.
they are like any other vehicle out there. some good, some not, most depend on how well maintained the previous owner kept up w/ the use.

on a vehicle almost 10 years old, i would expect to be changing out some of the link bushings, and o2 sensors. all of which are typical for a vehicle of that vintage.

i own a 99D1 discovery, (since 99) and i have not had ANY issues w/ my rover. it's been a great vehicle, but i am a mechanic, and i'm not afraid to get dirty doing a little preventative maintance either.

besides the ultra stylish looks of the older disco's, they are nicely equipt for offroading right out of the box. 3-link rear suspension, gear driven selectible transfercase, 4 corner coil suspension, solid full floating axles.
very easy to make into a very capable offroading vehicle.

if i were to buy another one now, i would look for a 98-99 discovery series 1, these were the last of the best, and easist to work on.

Dont let the masses scare you away from these rigs. it just shows how very little they know. :ne_nau:

to date, mine has taken me through everything i've thrown at it.
Behind the Rocks, Pritchett canyon, Rusty Nail, back country Maze district...etc

here's some photos i took a while back in this thread.
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1522
pm me if you have any questions.

nosivad_bor
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
leaks are there and part of life. its made acceptable by the terrific character of the vehicle. the trucks got soul and thats something toyota is not having.

other reasons for a land rover which are some of the most important is the view from the drivers seat. its better than every other vehicle out there. you cansee the corners of the hood . lots of windows make sight seeing awesome and let us not forget the offroading aspecs and other thoughtfull engineering.

the truck was built to be fixed, the brakes can be changed with a lungnut wrench, pry bar and needlenose pliers under 10 minutes a side. no joke.

long travel suspension is excelent and can handle most anything. if you need more a nice 2" lift and some 32 " tires and that bad boy is going places.

the vehicle is AWD with a manual locking center differntial which turns it into a convential 4x4. so even when its not bad enough for 4x4 outside you still have the AWD working for you.

compnenets under the hood arent cramped and doing tune ups and things are easy.

SOLID AXELS front and rear coild springs at all four corners , aluminum body on stout ladder frame. the sun of a gun is built to last. what can fail on this vehicle can be repaired.

side slope angle? 42 degrees, it was engineered to accept this so the engine can handle it and wont starve for oil.

factory fordging depth of 24" stock and it can do more.

to find the most value in the vehicleyou have to use it to its fullest. its a jack of all trades. i cruise around town and look sharp in a classy truck and then the next weekend ill drive 8hrs to go offroading and canyoneering, all the while with good highway manners. there are simply not many vehicles out there that offer all of the luxury inside have the heavy duty suspension and drivetrain and are mechanically simple like the land rover discovery 1

marc olivares
02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
YUM...ROVER LOVE!

scoutabout
02-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Dont let the masses scare you away from these rigs. it just shows how very little they know. :ne_nau:

Just basing my opinion on facts.

JD Power & Associates 2006 Vehicle Dependability Study:
Last place with 438 problems per 100 vehicles.
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006133

JD Power & Associates 2005 Vehicle Dependability Study:
Second to last place with 395 problems per 100 vehicles.
http://www.jdpower.com/pdf/2005089.pdf

I don't have time to find the specific references to other reports where LR has ranked poorly, but there are quite a few. It might be anecdotal, but there seems to be a trend.

Don't get me wrong. I like the LR's. I think they are stylish and capable, and when driven/maintained by a mechanically inclined person who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty they are ok vehicles. Sounded like the original poster was looking for something a little more drive-and-forget.

marc olivares
02-11-2007, 08:12 PM
your JD power links are neat n' all, but not really applicable

he's looking at a 1998 rover, not a 2005.
there are no Discovery's series 1's for 05', only FORD influenced LR3's

1999 was the last year of the true land rovers, others that followed were BWM themed, then FORD.

am i stating that a 10 year old Land Rover will be maintance free.... no
but neither will any other vehicle of the same vintage.

apples to apples my friend
Grand Chickeeries, no soul, no love

Scott P
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
No offence is meant, and hopefully no one shoots me. Just data and not mine. It comes from several reliable sources. JP has pointed out some.

I don't have time to find the specific references to other reports where LR has ranked poorly, but there are quite a few

Consumer reports as well. Land Rover Discovery is rated as one of the most trouble prone vehicles on the road.

your JD power links are neat n' all, but not really applicable

Consumer Reports has the data available and it isn't promising. Latest data indicates that all years of the Discovery faired poorly. Latest issue (2006) had "insuffient data" for the specific 1998 year, but it was there in previous issues. The 1999 model is similar and scored "much worse than average for reliablilty. Trouble spots for the 1999 Land Rover Discovery included the following:
Engine
Cooling
Drive System
Fuel System
Ingition
Electrical
Suspension
Brakes
Exhaust
Body Integrity
Power Equipment
Body Hardware

By way of camparison, the 1999 Toyota 4Runner had no trouble spots where a significant percentage of effected vehicles were reported. The 1999 Pathfinder had one problem are-the exhaust and that's it.

The LR Discovery does good off road, but according to several testing reports and several sources, not any better than a 4-Runner or Grand Cherokee (which unfortunately is also known to be trouble prone, but not as much as Land Rover).

Regardless of what any owner of any vehicle says, it is good to look at statistics and data. Perhaps it's the engineer in me, but I admit that I would be afraid to buy one.

Of course if someone does like one, it's not of my concern and it's your choice.

PS KillEmAll,

I'll sell you a 1999 Pathfinder in perfect condition of you are ever interested. :naughty:

marc olivares
02-11-2007, 08:41 PM
again i say , apples to apples

99 was a split year for Rover

Discovery series 1 (old rover)
Discovery series 2 (new body design, BMW)

the Discovery 2 suffered some serious issues, as most first year design vehicles do.

and again, i've had mine since 99, zero issues, YMMV

Scott P
02-11-2007, 08:51 PM
again i say , apples to apples

Apples to apples is that the there wasn't enough data in 2006 to rate the 1998 model. However there was in previous years prioir to 2006 and the 1998 model was rated exptremely poorly, as have all years of the Discovery from years 1994 to present.

PS, don't shoot the messenger. It was only hard data that I am using and I mean no offense at all. If you like your Land Rover then you should keep it. :2thumbs:

scoutabout
02-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Geez, LR guys are so defensive. Glad you're happy with yours. Like I said, I like them.

marc olivares
02-11-2007, 09:14 PM
LR guys are so defensive.

boy, you aint seen nothing

Defensive is what we get when people call our ROVERS.....jeeps!

:roflol:

nosivad_bor
02-11-2007, 09:20 PM
viva land rover discovery 1 !!!

nosivad_bor
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
oh and for the JD power thing, to them reliable is if something little breaks of fails its unreliable, like say cruis control not working. to me reliable is can the damn thing limp home. and rovers are good limpers... :2thumbs:

BTW cruise control fix is just a bad vacume line, ten minutes under the hood with a knife and its usually fixed :haha:

scoutabout
02-11-2007, 09:36 PM
oh and for the JD power thing, to them reliable is if something little breaks of fails its unreliable, like say cruis control not working.

That's true. They're only counting instances of required service. That could be a broken cigarette lighter or a blown engine. Big difference for sure.

accadacca
02-11-2007, 09:42 PM

The only problem with Toys is that they hold thier value too well. It sucks being on the outside looking in on that club. Plus landcruisers are hard to come by. They're one of my all-time favorite vehicles - hope to own one someday.
Yup, the cruisers are a bit pricey. You could pickup a 4-Runner tho, they are affordable. They're not quite as big as a cruiser, but damn dependable and extremely capable offroad. That would be my second choice. I am just not a wrencher, not into it and have better things to do. I like high mileage vehicles and if they don't have soul, well so be it. If we want to start talkin' soul, we could start with my BMW motorcycle. :popcorn:

tanya
02-11-2007, 09:43 PM
oh and for the JD power thing, to them reliable is if something little breaks of fails its unreliable, like say cruis control not working.

That's true. They're only counting instances of required service. That could be a broken cigarette lighter or a blown engine. Big difference for sure.

The only thing I don't like about my rover is all the plastic stuff inside breaks. I have only had that one problem with it. Mine was a Rent-a-Rover before I bought it... Not sure if that is good or bad?

accadacca
02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Ewww dang...I might go buy this one. :eek2:

http://www.smithfamilymotors.com/car_detail.asp?StockID=7016

Or this!!! Link (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=listings/view/photo_album&ad=29875&back=true)

Dayyyyham nice ones on ksl.com

Sorry if this was a hijack.....resume. :popcorn:

JP
02-12-2007, 05:31 AM
owned a Cherokee and really liked it
Step up to the Grand Cherokee, on nice vehicle :2thumbs:

DirkHammergate
02-12-2007, 05:55 AM

Or this!!! Link (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=listings/view/photo_album&ad=29875&back=true)

Hey my other option here is a Landcruiser later this spring. I should have roughly 6K to spend on it but I'm thinking about going older '85 to '89 cause I really don't drive much, need the gear space for summer outings with the 7 and 4 year old and I might request visitation for the dog as well. I had a 85 for four years and cried when I sold it. I'm going back to the Cruiser, hopefully one with a little less miles...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=listings/view&ad=28444

DirkHammergate
02-12-2007, 05:58 AM

The only thing I don't like about my rover is all the plastic stuff inside breaks. I have only had that one problem with it. Mine was a Rent-a-Rover before I bought it... Not sure if that is good or bad?

I don't care what it is I just know I've fallen in love with you. Most of the time Women have to at least say "Hi" to the Hammer before he falls, not you, the Rover did it.

accadacca
02-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Hey my other option here is a Landcruiser later this spring. I should have roughly 6K to spend on it but I'm thinking about going older '85 to '89 cause I really don't drive much, need the gear space for summer outings with the 7 and 4 year old and I might request visitation for the dog as well. I had a 85 for four years and cried when I sold it. I'm going back to the Cruiser, hopefully one with a little less miles...

I like that one too, love the rack. Those fold up seats in the back are tight. :nod:

tanya
02-12-2007, 09:16 AM

I don't care what it is I just know I've fallen in love with you. Most of the time Women have to at least say "Hi" to the Hammer before he falls, not you, the Rover did it.

I send you a hot steamy lust letter and its the rover that gets to you.

:five:

Whatever works. :oops:

DirkHammergate
02-12-2007, 10:28 AM
[ul]http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=listings/view&ad=28444[/url]
I like that one too, love the rack. Those fold up seats in the back are tight. :nod:[/quote]

I don't have the money yet for this one but its the one I really want. I'm likely to go out of state for this car. This looks ideal:

Cruizer (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=216929962&dealer_id=59473289&car_year=1988&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=TOYOTA&transmission=&model=LC&distance=300&make2=&address=95008&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=1989&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1982&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=300)

accadacca
02-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Cruizer (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=216929962&dealer_id=59473289&car_year=1988&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=TOYOTA&transmission=&model=LC&distance=300&make2=&address=95008&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=1989&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1982&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=300)
Very nice! :2thumbs:

DirkHammergate
02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Very nice! :2thumbs:

Yes indeed, sorta of a leap in faith to fly out, purchase and drive back. Its worth it though, I trust the Cruiser about as much as any other new or used Toyota.

DirkHammergate
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Officially Hijacked..

nosivad_bor
02-19-2007, 10:33 AM
any Land Rover Purchase yet?

Brian in SLC
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
In the market a bit m'self. The ol' '93 fourskinrunner is about toast, 283k and still gets 20+mpg.

Last spring, the boyz from Belgium hauled this rig to Crete:

http://mtncommunity.org/dc/user_files/1510.jpg

Pretty funny. Wild crew.

-Brian in SLC

tanya
02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
In the market a bit m'self. The ol' '93 fourskinrunner is about toast, 283k and still gets 20+mpg.

Last spring, the boyz from Belgium hauled this rig to Crete:

Pretty funny. Wild crew.

-Brian in SLC

Come on Brian... send us the shot that has YOU in it. :popcorn:

DiscGo
02-19-2007, 12:55 PM

Seriously :haha: what are those two guys doing on the hood? :lol8:

tanya
02-19-2007, 01:16 PM

Looks Fun! :popcorn:

Wilma
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM

Looks Fun! :popcorn:

Oh la la.... Oh yes!

Sombeech
02-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Looks like one of em's eating at the Y.

Rev. Coyote
02-20-2007, 09:01 AM

BEWARE of head gasket issues! Check for "milkshake" on the dipsticks and oil filler caps of any TLC you check out. I went to one lot where thee dealer had four 93-97 vintage cruisers and all had head gasket leakage. It's a bad problem, and Toyota will not recall the vehicles. Piss-poor of them not to make good on this, esecially with an otherwise kickass vehicle.

DirkHammergate
02-20-2007, 07:47 PM
BEWARE of head gasket issues! Check for "milkshake" on the dipsticks and oil filler caps of any TLC you check out. I went to one lot where thee dealer had four 93-97 vintage cruisers and all had head gasket leakage. It's a bad problem, and Toyota will not recall the vehicles. Piss-poor of them not to make good on this, esecially with an otherwise kickass vehicle.

Do you know if that is consistant with the earlier models, 87-89? I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger, in fact I looked at a couple in person over the weekend. I'll actually take a look next time.

accadacca
02-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Do you know if that is consistant with the earlier models, 87-89? I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger, in fact I looked at a couple in person over the weekend. I'll actually take a look next time.
Got pix of these two beauties? :popcorn:

Rev. Coyote
02-20-2007, 07:53 PM

The HG issue started when TLCs got the DOHC engine. The older FJ-60 and FJ-62s were single cam and not as prone to HG failure. However, the later series (the 80) were overall better, I think. The ride in my 88 would kill you. Just check the HG or have a mechanic do it. If it's the original gasket, you could drive it until (if) trouble arises or go ahead and replace it as a preventative measure.

I'm a bit paranoid on the issue, so take that into account!

DirkHammergate
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM

The HG issue started when TLCs got the DOHC engine. The older FJ-60 and FJ-62s were single cam and not as prone to HG failure. However, the later series (the 80) were overall better, I think. The ride in my 88 would kill you. Just check the HG or have a mechanic do it. If it's the original gasket, you could drive it until (if) trouble arises or go ahead and replace it as a preventative measure.

I'm a bit paranoid on the issue, so take that into account!

Thanks for the info....