PDA

View Full Version : Summitpost

Mtnman1830
02-06-2007, 08:20 PM
I have come across Scott Patterson on this site, and was wondering if anyone else posts at summitpost

www.summitpost.org

Glockguy
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep. Same name. That is a great site. So is uutah. I have a lot of different ones that I like for different reasons.

accadacca
02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Nah...I am a uutah snob and I don't cheat! :lol8:

Mtnman1830
02-06-2007, 09:24 PM
I use KirtDavis for my summitpost. Guess I should have stated that sooner.

tanya
02-07-2007, 07:03 AM
I had to join just so I could comment on Scotts photos and trip reports, but never post in the forum or read stuff there. I did wander and look at a couple of Zion things there yesterday, since I noticed they were posting trails that Bo and I made and published, but I prefer a laid back, fun group where you can just hang out with friends like uutah.com

tanya
02-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Nah...I am a uutah snob and I don't cheat! :lol8:

That's funny..... you and 'Beech must be opposites! Did you see the list of groups that man is in. :blahblah: He is an internet chat addict. :rockon:

Iceaxe
02-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I visit summitpost occationally and have even posted a few things, but I'm not a fan of the site.

:cool2:

Scott P
02-07-2007, 09:43 AM
but I'm not a fan of the site.

Why not?

It's a great site. Perhaps the best on the net for hikers and climbers.

Nah...I am a uutah snob and I don't cheat!

uutah.com is cool too, but the intentions of the site are different and they aren't competition to each other. uutah is a site mostly for people in and around Utah and Summit post is world wide. uutah.com is for all outdoors and Summitpost is mostly for hiking and climbing and related topics.

The good thing about Summitpost is that anyone can put up "guidebook type" info on any mountains or canyons. Check it out for Utah:

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=1&state_province_1=Utah&sort_select_1=object_name&order_type_1=ASC

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=9&state_province_9=Utah&sort_select_9=object_name&order_type_9=ASC

Iceaxe
02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Why not?

Most my interest is in Utah and I get better and faster info by asking for what I need at uutah. The other benefit from asking on uutah is I am acquainted with most everyone on the site so I can put the info into a better context. In other words I trust and feel more comfortable with what is shared here then on some other forums. If I couldn't get what I need here or from friends I might use Summitpost, but I have never actually used anything from that site. Also, they have very little canyoneering info which is my favorite area.

Not saying their site is not beneficial.... its just not really beneficial for me and my needs.

Iceaxe
02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
The good thing about Summitpost is that anyone can put up "guidebook type"

I'm not sure I consider that a good thing.... I prefer to have a feel for an author before I trust his beta.

I see the same type thing on the ACA site where anyone can post a route. A couple of the ACA descriptions contain dangerous errors, at least two of their descriptions list 1/2 enough rope. (I'm guessing the author's meant to include a pull chord but its never mentioned).

Anyhoo.... I prefer to have a feel for the guys providing me with beta.

:popcorn:

Scott P
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Also, they have very little canyoneering info which is my favorite area.

For some reason, I've found it much easier to find partners on Summitpost vs. uutah.com or the canyons group, even for canyoneering.

Not sure why that is. I guess it could be because the experienced canyoneers on uutah.com and canyons group have been around longer and already have their partners and clicks versus canyoneering is new to summitpost.

Same goes for things like winter mountaineering. Never could find many partners in groups like the CMC.

I guess in the older canyoneering/climbing groups/circles, I had (or have) a bad rep too, despite the fact that I'm more experienced and much safer now. Takes a long time to get rid of old reputations. In the newer groups I have a strong reputation as being a good safe leader for trips.

A couple of the ACA descriptions contain dangerous errors

Good thing about Summitpost is that you can post additions and corrections and can get bad info deleted by pointing it out to the staff.

Iceaxe
02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
For some reason, I've found it much easier to find partners on Summitpost vs. uutah.com

I always felt the reason you have a hard time finding partners on Uutah is your trips are always hardcore. Post a beginner trip through the Black Hole and I bet you get a long line of willing victims.... err... I mean participants.

:five:

Iceaxe
02-07-2007, 10:36 AM
The other thing that scares me about beta of dubious origins is several times I have witnessed incorrect and dangerous beta intentionally passed along by someone attempting to "hide" their secret canyon. My puker factor certainly goes up when using beta from someone I don't know.

Scott P
02-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I always felt the reason you have a hard time finding partners on Uutah is your trips are always hardcore.

True. I should have said easier to find partners for more hardcore trips on this site vs summitpost. I think other's here or in the canyons group are doing hardcore stuff (but are quiet about it), but they already have their partners.

I agree that there are a lot more hard core type people hanging around summitpost than around uutah.com.

Post a beginner trip through the Black Hole and I bet you get a long line of willing victims.... err... I mean participants.

Yes true. I already have people interested for the Gem Canyon trip.

It's trips to unbetaed canyons in remote places that I have a hard time finding partners for here. It's not always like that as I've met some great parters here too (such as when we went to Dino over Labor Day). Summitpost seems easier to find partners for that kind of stuff, though maybe it will change.

tanya
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Why not?

If I couldn't get what I need here or from friends I might use Summitpost, but I have never actually used anything from that site.

Not saying their site is not beneficial.... its just not really beneficial for me and my needs.

Ladies... please help Ice with his needs before he abandons us for another place.
:haha:

tanya
02-07-2007, 10:41 AM
For some reason, I've found it much easier to find partners on Summitpost vs. uutah.com

I always felt the reason you have a hard time finding partners on Uutah is your trips are always hardcore. Post a beginner trip through the Black Hole and I bet you get a long line of willing victims.... err... I mean participants.

:five:

I agree with this and everything else Ice has posted. :popcorn:

Mtnman1830
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Geez, I didn't mean to start this mess...

Iceaxe
02-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Actually I think its been a useful discussion. Noting the pro's and con's of both Summitpost and Uutah.

accadacca
02-07-2007, 11:05 AM

Actually I think its been a useful discussion. Noting the pro's and con's of both Summitpost and Uutah.

If anything they got some free advertising. :popcorn: :lol8:

Iceaxe
02-07-2007, 11:43 AM
If anything they got some free advertising. :popcorn: :lol8:

Yeah right..... more like uutah is probably a pimple on summitposts arse.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Scott P
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
If anything they got some free advertising.

You can link uutah.com to Summitpost to advertize uutah.com (they have a place on the site to do this as a sister site), but there might be too many "greens" for Shane et al. :naughty:

tanya
02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
If anything they got some free advertising.

You can link uutah.com to Summitpost to advertize uutah.com (they have a place on the site to do this as a sister site), but there might be too many "greens" for Shane et al. :naughty:

What's the link to that page. I think its only fair with all the advertising they get on here!