PDA

View Full Version : 6 year olds?

TreeHugger
01-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Just curious.... there is legislation that is being tossed around to lower the legal age for riding OHVs to 6. What do you all think? I'm not an OHVr so I thought I'd ask the experts. Seems really young to me - do 6 year olds really have the cognitive and physical ability to safely drive these on trails among other riders?? Would you feel safe with a 6 year old on your trails?

JP
01-31-2007, 07:37 AM
You'd be surprised on how well they can grasp things like that at an early age. The younger they start, the better that makes them down the road :nod:

Windwalker
02-04-2007, 05:38 PM
No, the age limit should not be lowered. The only time a little one should be allowed on a wheeler is under the direct supervision of an adult and then with a speed restriction devise and a kill switch. Even if the child is fitted properly to the wheeler I don't think they have the ablility to make split second decisions that could save their lives. My two bits worth, and I have more change in my pockets on this subject.

chickenlicken
02-04-2007, 06:24 PM
It really depends on the individual. The machine needs to be matched to the child. I've seen too many young children driving machines too large for thier abilites. This usually results in accidents sooner or later. I suppose there are some children as young as 6 that could handle it, but you have to wonder what redneck parents will let thier children do it just because its "legal". :ne_nau:

scoutabout
02-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Seems questionable to me, but I don't think I'm against the idea. Let the parent decide if their child is old enough and ready to ride an ATV. If I had a kid, they wouldn't be riding a 4 wheeler until they were at least 16.