PDA

View Full Version : Ice Climber Falls to His Death in Provo Canyon

jumar
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=847134

Ice Climber Falls to His Death in Provo Canyon
January 30th, 2007 @ 12:29pm
Sam Penrod Reporting

An ice climber fell to his death this morning near Bridal Veil Falls.

It's a tragic day for ice climbers, after a man died late this morning, after falling more than 200 feet to his death.

The man was ice climbing in Provo Canyon, just west of Bridal Veil Falls in an area known ironically as the stairway to heaven.

It is still not known whether there was an equipment malfunction or the ice was not strong enough, but we do know that the man fell from the second tier of ice down to the third tier of ice.

There were two other ice climbers in the area who called for help, but before they reached him, the victim had died from extensive head injuries.

Dennis Harris, Utah County Sheriff's Office: "We're in the process right now of recovering. We do know that he was wearing protective head-gear, but ya know that's quite a fall also."

Right now, several members of the Utah County Search and Rescue are on the mountain recovering the victim's body. It is a dangerous situation, but something that searchers here are well trained at doing.

So far, the victim's name has not been released. Police are not sure if he is from Utah.

Provo Canyon is known around the world for ice-climbing. It is a very popular place because that area is very steep, where there is water coming from the falls and it is also shaded from the sun during the entire winter.

Iceaxe
01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
:popcorn:

B
01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm confused. So was he climbing solo?

Brian in SLC
01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm confused. So was he climbing solo?

I would assume so.

Stairway was in good shape for climbing, according to friends who'd done it and the visual we got last weekend driving by (enroute to Stewart Falls).

Sad deal. Condolences to friends and family.

-Brian in SLC

Sombeech
01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
That sucks.

Iceaxe
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Authorities say the victim was a very experienced ice climber. He was 32 years old. He was climbing with a partner. He was wearing a helmet. Still no names.

Here is the news video

Brian in SLC
01-31-2007, 07:39 AM
Authorities say the victim was a very experienced ice climber. He was 32 years old. He was climbing with a partner. He was wearing a helmet. Still no names.

Here is the news video

Its in the trib this morning.

Christopher Hunnicutt.

Sad deal.

-Brian in SLC

JP
01-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Its in the trib this morning.

Christopher Hunnicutt.

Sad deal.

-Brian in SLC
Sure is.

basilone0331
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
I can across this while browsing the Black Diamond webpage

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/about/index.php
Chris Hunnicutt
August 4, 1974

Glockguy
02-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Will there be a funeral here in Utah?

DiscGo
02-03-2007, 07:35 AM
That really is sad. I honestly do not fear death, but I hate not knowing when it is coming. I am sure this guy had no idea this would be the last day of his life, and I think that is one of the saddest parts. Not to be too soft or repeat a cliche, but life really is fragile.

jumar
02-05-2007, 07:20 AM
The 3rd pitch isn't 200 feet is it? The news said he fell 200 ft...?

Brian in SLC
02-05-2007, 07:26 AM
The 3rd pitch isn't 200 feet is it? The news said he fell 200 ft...?

I think more on the order of 160 feet, but, that's splitting hairs.

From the BD website:

"Chris was climbing with his partner and was just topping-out the third pitch when he apparently lost his footing. His last piece of protection was well below him, resulting in a lead-fall of the entire pitch where he struck a ledge and died on the scene."

I believe he was at the top of the pitch, and may have been in the process of placing an anchor. Rumor, but, I also heard one of his tools was at the top after he fell, indicating his hand was off it, probably in the process of placing gear.

-Brian in SLC