PDA

View Full Version : I'm done watching sports (warning: long rant)

donny h
01-24-2007, 07:32 PM
I actually stopped watching pro sports a couple years ago, don't miss them, I didn't watch the last two superbowls, don't know who won, and don't care.

I grew up a sports fan, in Ca., went to many dodgers, angels, raiders, rams, kings, ducks, lakers and clippers games. I even saw a couple jazz games when on vacation here.

I just got disgusted with pro sports:

Baseball- Steroids. Roids. That took some wind out of my sails.

Guys (making 15mill)won't run out a ground ball or a pop up. Guys sitting out over a sprained finger (remember Mike Marshall taking himself out of the line due to "general soreness").

Whatever happened to the great family owned teams? The last one was the dodgers. The O'Malleys sold them to RUPERT MURDOCH. Bleech.

Where the hell is qualcomm? What is a 3com? Petco? Is that a joke? The Stick. The Murph. These are places where baseball is played. Not in a coors field.

Football- Bunch of thugs. How long has it been since one year passed without a felony indictment on a NFL player.

Why do punks celebrate every TD like it just won the championship, even if their team is still down by 35 points? When did this become okay? Marcus Allen said it best (talking about scoring a touchdown): "I like to act as if I've been there before". Whatever happened to class in sports?

Or even good sportsmanship?

Where do these guys get off renegotiating at year 2 or 3 into a 7 year contract? All the sports do this. Over, and over, and over, and over. And get cheered like royalty.

What's with 'tv time outs'? All the stoppages of play they have to shill products isn't enough? They have to change the momentum of games with special timeouts just to hype more useless widgets?

Hockey. Those guys let a whole season get canceled over a labor dispute. Screw the fans, we want ours. The minor league systems in Canada that feed the NHL are a horror, kids leave school and home as young as 15 to play full time and try to someday make the NHL. The vast majority are spit out broke, uneducated, and debilitated, by their early 20s.

Basketball- Overpaid thugs. Sniveling children. Kobe and Shaq making 40-50 MILLION between them, and can't put aside their differences and play team basketball?

A chucker like Iverson is considered a star for scoring 28 after chucking up 60 shots?

Okay, I have more but will stop, I don't expect (or want) to change the way you sports fans feel, but I do wonder if anyone else feels the same way?

I do have a lot more free time now, I don't plan to be at home watching the boys of summer, my Saturdays and Sundays in December are wide open, instead of trying to watch 2 NBA games at the same time I watch zero, and Lord Stanley is just gonna' have to live without me.

I thinks it's good for my health, too, I quit getting drunk for 16 Mondays in a row each fall.

*end rant*

I still watch a few sports, not team sports, mostly motor sports, but only with Tivo so I can skip the commercials. Get rid of the fluff, and a NASCAR race gets down to 90 minutes.

stefan
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
how about curling?

donny h
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
how about curling?

Now THAT would be bad for my health.

No sport that boring could be viewed sober, not by me at least.

I'm not even convinced the players in curling are sober.

stefan
01-24-2007, 07:44 PM
how about curling?

Now THAT would be bad for my health.

No sport that boring could be viewed sober, not by me at least.

I'm not even convinced the players in curling are sober.

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

rockgremlin
01-24-2007, 08:09 PM
I used to think like you. Until I started putting $$$ down on games. That's what makes pro sports fun. Up until two years ago, I paid ZERO attention to the NFL. I didn't know the Seahawks from the Saints. Ladainian Tomlinson? Who's that?

But then two years ago Uutah started up a fantasy football league, and I joined just for kicks. Within the first couple of games I was hooked!!!! Now instead of watching the NFL for nothing, I watch the NFL as a money-making endeavor.

So, you're right. Watching a bunch of overpaid babies play ball IS boring. But watching a bunch of overpaid babies put money in your pocket is a completely different ball of wax!

R
01-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Yes, I feel the same way about pro sports. When I was a kid, my dad and I watched a lot of pro sports - Game of the Week with Curt Gowdy for example.

For my entire photographic career I have worked in small towns covering small school sports, and I can tell you that watching Vanoss vs Antlers in the class 2A regional basketball playoff game is 1000 percent more fun than any game in any sport I've ever seen on television. And now that I've been at my newspaper for more than 18 years, I am covering the children of the kids I covered when I started here. We all know each other. When those 200 parents and classmates leap to their feet and scream when a three-pointer hits nothing but net with eight seconds left, it's intensely exciting, even overpowering. I love it.

I don't get anything resembling that from watching professional sports, live or on TV.

Samples here... http://richardbarron.net/news/sports2/

:nod:

Iceaxe
01-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I no longer have much use for Pro sports.... can't stand baseball, hockey or basketball. But I'm with Rock Gremlin in that I love to bet on fantasy football. And I still enjoy watching the first 50 laps and the last 50 laps of a good Nascar or IndyCar race.

:popcorn: