PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Little Sahara in January

MTpockets
01-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Cabin Fever. Just couldn't wait for some warmer weather. Decided to take my Jumping Jack Trailer and ATV's and head out to Little Sahara to check out the sand and snow.

Sombeech
01-22-2007, 12:45 PM
That'd me nice to have it all to yourselves.

MTpockets
01-22-2007, 01:20 PM
That'd me nice to have it all to yourselves.

It was pretty nearly "by ourselves." I saw a small group of two pickups with trailers with about 8 ATVs and a couple motorcycles. As we were leaving three ATV's came driving up the road. My guess is they were probably camped over by Jericho campground.

Windwalker
01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
MtPockets,
You're the hero of the moment, and I'm envious that you got out. But damn, wasn't it bitter cold?? :cold: :snowcloud:

Last week myself and the wife sat down to talked about our expectations for this next year. We had such a bummer last year that getting out every other weeks, (schedules providing) was at the top of our short list. You just reenforced that new year's resolution by your getting out so early.

WW

fourtycal
01-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Very nice. That trailer looks like the perfect size for your rig. Thanks for the pics. :thumb:

MTpockets
01-23-2007, 10:57 AM
MtPockets,
You're the hero of the moment, and I'm envious that you got out. But damn, wasn't it bitter cold?? :cold: :snowcloud:

Last week myself and the wife sat down to talked about our expectations for this next year. We had such a bummer last year that getting out every other weeks, (schedules providing) was at the top of our short list. You just reenforced that new year's resolution by your getting out so early.

WW

I wouldn't exactly call it bitter cold. I did notice that in the morning the Sunny Delight OJ was slushy and the egg yokes were frozen. I only felt cold when a light breeze came up. Mostly, it was very nice. Next time I'll probably take some kind of face mask or balaclava.

MT

MTpockets
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
MtPockets,

WW

WW,

About your other comment. I wouldn't exactly call last year a bummer year. However, while sitting in the Huntsman Cancer Infusion room I had an epiphany and decided that I really needed to get out more and not look back in a few years with regrets for not. I know that up until then I would read comments about the trips others made and while enjoying the comments and pics would keep putting off my own trips. I know that from past experience we don't seem to get out as much as we would like so I am hoping that the two of you get out when you can. I'll look for the trip reports.

MT

MTpockets
01-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Very nice. That trailer looks like the perfect size for your rig. Thanks for the pics. :thumb:

Thanks. I've been trying to make time to write up a product report on the trailer. I guess I'll have to make a bigger effort.

MT

MTpockets
02-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I made another cold trip to Little Sahara on the 1st of Feb. Here is a pic of my trailer at the campground. There was about 4 inches of snowpack beneath my trailer wheels.

MTpockets
02-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I've also posted a product review for my trailer. You can find it here http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4916

MTpockets

JP
02-16-2007, 08:55 PM
You don't get cold in that thing even with air flowing under it :ne_nau:

MTpockets
02-16-2007, 11:22 PM
That is a good question. You are right in that when a cold breeze is blowing it makes the floor of the tent cold. The tent trailer came with a piece of carpet covering the floor. To that I added a couple rugs which help keep down the cold.

On recommendation of another camper I added a Mr. Buddy heater to help with the cold. I've been experimenting on placement and such but overall I'd say it works great.

The first night out when it was the coldest I had the heater on the table. Pretty much everything at the level of the heater or above stayed warm. Beneath the table was a different story.

The next weekend trip I placed the heater on the floor. This was much better and more of everything stayed warm.

Here's the funny part. The last time out I hung my jacket over the bar on the inside of the tent and next to that my slightly damp jeans. My nephew just put his against the outside wall of the tent. In the morning my jacket was warm and my pants dry. My nephew had frozen pant legs and a cold jacket. I plan to take a couple of plastic coat hangers on the next trip.

MTpockets

JP
02-17-2007, 12:38 AM
The next weekend trip I placed the heater on the floor. This was much better and more of everything stayed warm.

My nephew had frozen pant legs and a cold jacket. I plan to take a couple of plastic coat hangers on the next trip.
I was just wondering because with a tent on the ground you would pack snow around it as an insulator. Seeing that up off the ground just made me wonder. So a little bit of padding and a heater, makes sense :2thumbs:

His face must have been priceless watching you put on the warm and cozy stuff :roflol:

Cirrus2000
02-17-2007, 12:40 AM
However, while sitting in the Huntsman Cancer Infusion room I had an epiphany and decided that I really needed to get out more and not look back in a few years with regrets for not.

Not a word I say often, but: Amen! You got that right. Hope all is well...

MTpockets
02-19-2007, 12:02 AM
All is well or at least on the mend. Chances are good what the surgery missed the chemo got. Having had the experience did change my outlook a bit.

:nod:

Went out again this past weekend and had more fun driving the ATV's. Did have to turn down the tent heater as it got kind of warm.

MTpockets