PDA

View Full Version : The Wave in Escalante

DiscGo
01-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Have any of you ever done the Wave? I just saw pictures of it today for the first time and it looks awesome.

sparker1
01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Did it last March, hope to be in the area again soon and do it again. It's one of the most colorful places I've ever seen. Check out my photos at http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/n_coyote_buttes .

accadacca
01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Wheres tanya? Shes all over that place too and has some great photos.

Trail info from her site: http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes-paria.htm :cool2:

DiscGo
01-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Sparker-

Did you take this picture?:
It looks like a painting or a post card
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/DiscGolfDiver/wave1.jpg

This picture was awesome:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/DiscGolfDiver/wave2.jpg

Thanks for posting those. I definitely want to check that out soon.

asdf
01-18-2007, 05:58 AM
I definitely want to check that out soon.

Have fun getting a permit, took me almost two years. The permit system is a joke, they sell out 3months in advance 5min after they go on sale. I understand they do sell them at the rangers office, but its a long drive to Paria just to get turned away.

DiscGo
01-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Have fun getting a permit, took me almost two years. The permit system is a joke, they sell out 3months in advance 5min after they go on sale.

That is such a good head's up. I was not aware that would be an issue. Most of my trips are fly by night, but I guess I'll need to plan this one :mrgreen:

stefan
01-18-2007, 07:44 AM
each morning, they give out 10 walk-in permits for the following day. if there are more than 10 "people/permits desired" at opening, it goes to a lottery/raffle pick.

there are supernice times of year which are quite popular, but in general in the off-season it appears relatively easy to pick up these walk-in permits.

so what you figure is getting to the appropriate permit desk early in the morning, getting the permits, doing something else for the day, then going to the wave on the following day.

it IS possible that there still might be walk-ins available for the same day, and always worth checking when you go in.

the south coyote buttes is also good and is in lesser demand.

in general i have not had problems getting walk in permits. but i imagine it can be hard during the best times of year (midspring/early fall). midsummer it is HOT :angryfire: oct-feb it can be quite nice at times ... only problem is daylight hours/cold spells/people who don't like winter.

but definitely worth getting to. i went to the wave (and surrounds) in december once ... didn't see a single soul and was out from 9 am-6:30pm :ne_nau:

R
01-18-2007, 08:00 AM
The Wave has been on and off my A-list for some time. I feel like I should see it, but then I feel like it's one of those places (like Taos) that quickly gets over-popular for no real reason. Then I think that what other people think about it and its level of clich

Win
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi, Stan, good to see you posting. Stan and I met over at the Canon Forum, he's got some awesome photos.

I've done the Wave and will try for a walk in permit in February. I was there in November and they told me it had been a lottery since March 15th of 2006.

Here's a link my pictures:

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={8012E0D2-C758-4030-9867-768BBDEC87DE}&albumid={F857F8DE-35B7-4C15-B985-B951341FD9FE}

Win

JP
01-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Those are some awesome pics Stan. :2thumbs:

DiscGo
01-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Those are cool pictures. Man I love Utah!

brettyb
01-19-2007, 05:39 AM
There are a couple of other threads on this subject, including one I started. I did the The Wave in December and it was a great, though I think the BLM makes is just a tad too difficult to get a permit for. However, in December, a walk in permit was no problem at all, in fact we got it the day of use, not the day before, and at 11AM we were the first to get issued a walk in permit for that day. In the winter, you get the permit in Kanab rather that at the Paria ranger station.

sparker1
01-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the comments about my photos. My visit to The Wave was 3/9/06. I was staying in Kanab, went to the BLM office around 2 pm just to get info. They told me no one had applied for the "walk-in" permits, so I got one for the next day. I hope to be back in March this year and do it again. if I'm delayed, I'm afraid traffic will increase.

By the way, the day I went there were a total of 4 people on the trail register when I came out. Two of them entered when I did but rushed in and back before noon. I arrived at The Wave at noon and had it all to myself for a couple hours, took around 200 photos. It has the most colorful, dramatic formations and textures you can imagine. The country around it is also special. I saw the last guy along the trail as I was leaving. Lots of people sign up and then don't go, from my experience (all 10 on-line permits were taken that day).

Even if you can't get a permit for North Coyote Buttes (The Wave), there are many other places for hiking and great scenery. I want to try south coyote Buttes (permit easier to get) and Wire Pass (no advance permit needed).