PDA

View Full Version : How many coyote hunters on the forum?

DAA
01-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey All,

Noob to the forum - just found it and registered today.

Just wondering how many of you guys hunt coyotes? Coyote hunting is my "main thing" from about Nov. through Feb. every year. Just can't get enough of it. Too bad I have to work five days a week!

Pic from a recent Saturday hunt by myself:

http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/coyotes/websize/11-17%208.jpg

So how 'bout it - anyone else a confirmed coyote-aholic?

- DAA

accadacca
01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
How many bones do ya score for each one of those dawgs?
:popcorn:

shlingdawg
01-15-2007, 03:53 PM
I just picked up a coyote gun and have started getting into it. I've gone out with my brother a couple of times and haven't seen anything. We've tried calling them in with no luck. Maybe it's location?

I picked up a CZ 550 in 22-250. If you ever need someone to split the gas money, let me know as I'd like to see how it's done.

By the way, two more things. 1. Nice Jeep. 2. Do you drive around town with those dogs in the basket? Hehe, that's awesome!!!

Sombeech
01-15-2007, 03:59 PM
:lol8: blood on the spare tire. Sweet.

fourtycal
01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I hunt coyotes, now bagging them is a different story.

Do you use electronic calls? What gun?

DAA
01-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Hard to say how much they'll go for accadacca. Last year they averaged about $30. Everyone is saying prices will be higher this year, but that's what they said last year too and they weren't.

What sucks, is that bobcats ARE going for big bucks. Probably average $200 or close to it this year, with really nice ones going for much higher. Well, guess who forgot to put in for bobcat tags this year? And guess who called in this bobcat (http://www.rmvh.com/Movies/Bobcat1106.wmv) first day of the season? Talk about a bummer! I edited the clip down of course, but that cat sat out there in front of me for 12 minutes. I had lots of time to look him over good in the scope and he was a really pretty cat. Big clear belly with nice spots. Would have loved to skin him. But, no tag, had to let him walk.

Shlingdawg, those CZ's are pretty sweet. I have a hard time getting used to the pregnant look, but every one I have seen shoot has been very accurate. And no, I don't drive into town with a rack full of dead coyotes. I've gotten a few looks at the car wash though, washing my pelts :mrgreen: .

fourtycal, I do mostly use an electronic caller. I always keep a mouth call handy though and still use them often. Mouth calls work! But the electronic does give some advantages in how you can work a stand to take advantage of the conditions (wind, terrain etc.). For a rifle, I mostly use a custom rifle chamberd in a .17 caliber wildcat called the .17 Predator. It's got a bit more capacity and ooomph than the .17 Remington. I'm using 30 gr. bullets at about 4050 fps, just dang near perfect for dropping coyotes in their tracks without making a mess of the fur.

Here's another clip (what the heck, I'm a clip posting ho today...), of some coyotes getting shot with my .17 Predator (http://www.rmvh.com/Movies/30GoldCoyotes.wmv).

- DAA

edited to (hopefully) fix screwed up link...

jumar
01-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Hoping to start coyote hunting. My dad went last friday and I didn't know, or I would have skipped work and gone with him. I have an AR-15, but I would like to get a scope for it for coyotes.

shagster
01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm hoping to get me a new coyote gun this month. I have been looking into the new ruger 204. From everything I have heard they are a sweet gun. There's lot's of coyotes up on the girlfriends farm to shoot. I can't wait. :haha:

Rev. Coyote
01-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Dog shooters=Little men.

I'll take a few free-range cows in your honor. Should I use the SKS or the Mauser...?

Rev. Coyote
01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Photographic evidence of how end-stage lackanookie disease affects men....

Sombeech
01-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Hmmm... :idea:

http://uutah.com/forum/images/avatars/193799640445a40ff353b6a.jpg

This looks like a coyote!!!! Better start running.

DAA
01-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm glad I could brighten your day Rev. Coyote. :2thumbs:

Here's one I killed just over the ridge from your house :mrgreen: .

http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/coyotes/websize/DAAyote1.jpg

You see, Mr. Rev. Coyote, it's obvious that you and I are not anything alike and don't share the same values. That's fine. I'm a live and let live kind of person. Whatever your values are, whatever you think is important, hey that's your business and I have no problem with it. It's just too damn bad that you obviously are bothered by some of us raised in a different culture with different values.

Coyotes are some of the most intelligent, adaptable and wary animals on the planet. To hunt them and be successful on a consistent basis requires excellent woodsmanship, marksmanship, patience and perserverence. The nature of the way we hunt coyotes requires a lot of stealth, and a lot of blending into the environment and just watching the world go by. You get to see wildlife in ways that very few people that don't hunt, and especially not "stealthy" hunting ever get to see.

I feel sorry for you, I really do. But, I won't waste any more of my time for you. Because, whether you want to believe it or not, you really aren't that important. None of us are. So, have a good life Mr. Rev. Coyote. I truly wish you nothing but the best. Just realize that from now on, you'll be wasting only your own time making any comments directed towards me.

- DAA

edited to remove family pictures/details

Rev. Coyote
01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Glad your Dad's doing OK with the cancer. It got my dad six years ago. I'm thankful my memories of him don't include killing dogs.

And I'm from old rural Virginia stock, used to hunting and fishing. For meat, not for jollies. That's what I disrespect in what you do -- the fact you guys kill for killing's sake. Don't try and decorate it with lots of sentimental rubbish -- though I know you're trying to sell video tapes.

fourtycal
01-16-2007, 05:35 PM
DAA, you have inspired me. This little man will be taking his little son coyote hunting this weekend. :2thumbs:

Rev. Coyote
01-16-2007, 05:47 PM
DAA, you have inspired me. This little man will be taking his little son coyote hunting this weekend.

Right after your NAMBLA meeting....?

DAA
01-16-2007, 07:16 PM
DAA, you have inspired me. This little man will be taking his little son coyote hunting this weekend. :2thumbs:

Awesome!

My Son hasn't really got enough patience yet for coyote hunting. So our coyote trips usually turn into jack rabbit hunts. But that's cool too!

Have fun out there!

- DAA

edited to remove family pictures/details

Sombeech
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Right after your NAMBLA meeting....?

You never officially decided if you were holding the meetings at your house or your church, so it confused a lot of people. I don't think you'll have a big turnout this year.

Brian in SLC
01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
You see, Mr. Rev. Coyote, it's obvious that you and I are not anything alike and don't share the same values.

My bet is that you're closer alike than you realize.

Really good spin on coyote hunting, though, as an explanation and/or reason behind it. Well done.

I dunno. I can see why it upsets folks, though. Does seem like a useless blood lust of sorts.

I'm born and raised in Montana. A girlfriend used to joke, that when I died, I'd have to appear in a place where all the critters I'd snuffed would be to greet me. She used to laugh that it would be the size of a football stadium, filled to the rafters...

I still enjoy "culling" (is that the PC word? Ha ha) them little agents of satan, the ground squirrel (aka golpher, pot guts, whistle pigs, etc). They are evil incarnate, and, I'm sure I'm saving the world. But, the older I get, for some reason, I like seeing them living, wild critters runnin' around. Seems a shame to just shoot them for the sake of seeing them....die?

Hydrostatic shock of a 52gr HPBT at 4Kfps from a 220 Swift is pretty impressive...

Anyhoo...good shootin' to ya, animate or inanimate...

-Brian in SLC

Rev. Coyote
01-17-2007, 03:06 PM
You see, Mr. Rev. Coyote, it's obvious that you and I are not anything alike and don't share the same values.

My bet is that you're closer alike than you realize.

Really good spin on coyote hunting, though, as an explanation and/or reason behind it. Well done.

I dunno. I can see why it upsets folks, though. Does seem like a useless blood lust of sorts.

I'm born and raised in Montana. A girlfriend used to joke, that when I died, I'd have to appear in a place where all the critters I'd snuffed would be to greet me. She used to laugh that it would be the size of a football stadium, filled to the rafters...

I still enjoy "culling" (is that the PC word? Ha ha) them little agents of satan, the ground squirrel (aka golpher, pot guts, whistle pigs, etc). They are evil incarnate, and, I'm sure I'm saving the world. But, the older I get, for some reason, I like seeing them living, wild critters runnin' around. Seems a shame to just shoot them for the sake of seeing them....die?

Hydrostatic shock of a 52gr HPBT at 4Kfps from a 220 Swift is pretty impressive...

Anyhoo...good shootin' to ya, animate or inanimate...

-Brian in SLC

Ah, you might be right. The problem I've had with some of the people here is that they kill just to kill -- and that's depravity. It is morally reprehensible (just plain wrong) to kill critters and not use them. Rats kill for pleasure, you know?

I'm not one of those vegan PETA types either (like I need to explain), and engage in hunting (mostly butchering) and fishing. Eat what I catch. I've never killed an animal I didn't intend to eat -- that's a sound moral principle my Dad taught me.

A couple posts up, "DAA" shared a picture of his boy holding some rabbits they got -- nice ones. My only hope is he is teaching that boy to field dress, skin, and prepare that kill. But if he's just taking the kid on killing sprees and leaving the carcasses (like they do with Coyotes), then he's running the risk of creating a monster -- a person who gets a woodie from killing but is too much of a pansy to get elbow-deep in guts.

Let's hope that's not how it goes.

Blah blah blah.

Cheers,
Rev. Coyote
ULC
"Purveyor of Pure Truth"

Brian in SLC
01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
I think I'll go have a "mild drink"...perchance made from barley, and other grain...

"Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."

-Brian in SLC

"Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger."

"I do not believe any man should kill animals or birds unless he 'needs' them for food...I think it is wicked for men to thirst in their souls to kill almost everything which possess life. It is wrong, and I have been surprised at prominent men who I have seen whose very souls seemed to be athirst for the shedding of animal blood. They go off hunting deer, antelope, elk, anything they can find, and what for? 'Just for the fun of it!' I am a firm believer... in the simple words of one of the poets: 'Take not away the life you cannot give, for all things have an equal right to live'."

"We are a part of life and should study carefully our relationship to it. We should be in sympathy with it, and not allow our prejudices to create a desire for its destruction. The unnecessary destruction of life begets a spirit of destruction which grows within the soul. It lives by what it feeds upon and robs man of the love that he should have for the works of God. It hardens the heart of man... The unnecessary destruction of life is a distinct spiritual loss to the human family. Men cannot worship the Creator and look with careless indifference upon his creation. The love of all life helps man to the enjoyment of a better life. ...Love of nature is akin to the love of God, the two are inseparable."

-Joseph F. Smith

Reedus
01-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Guess that makes me a monster with a woodie. :ne_nau:

Schaaaawing!

fourtycal
01-17-2007, 07:01 PM
The problem I've had with some of the people here is that they kill just to kill -- and that's depravity. It is morally reprehensible (just plain wrong) to kill critters and not use them. "

It's not at all about killing just to kill. If hunters do not control predator and varmint populations the government will, just to maintain human health and civilization. If we kill too many the government (utah division of wildlife resources) would limit the number that could be taken and collect licence money from hunters and put it into programs and habitat to maintain a healthy population. The fact that a particular animal is not fit to eat has no bearing on the process.

Rev. Coyote
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
It's not at all about killing just to kill. If hunters do not control predator and varmint populations the government will, just to maintain human health and civilization. If we kill too many the government (utah division of wildlife resources) would limit the number that could be taken and collect licence money from hunters and put it into programs and habitat to maintain a healthy population. The fact that a particular animal is not fit to eat has no bearing on the process.

Oh I see. You're performing a public service.

Allow me now to laugh my ass off.

I guess you need to find a justification anwhere you can, no matter how thin.

Rev. Coyote
01-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I think I'll go have a "mild drink"...perchance made from barley, and other grain...

"Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."

-Brian in SLC

"Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger."

"I do not believe any man should kill animals or birds unless he 'needs' them for food...I think it is wicked for men to thirst in their souls to kill almost everything which possess life. It is wrong, and I have been surprised at prominent men who I have seen whose very souls seemed to be athirst for the shedding of animal blood. They go off hunting deer, antelope, elk, anything they can find, and what for? 'Just for the fun of it!' I am a firm believer... in the simple words of one of the poets: 'Take not away the life you cannot give, for all things have an equal right to live'."

"We are a part of life and should study carefully our relationship to it. We should be in sympathy with it, and not allow our prejudices to create a desire for its destruction. The unnecessary destruction of life begets a spirit of destruction which grows within the soul. It lives by what it feeds upon and robs man of the love that he should have for the works of God. It hardens the heart of man... The unnecessary destruction of life is a distinct spiritual loss to the human family. Men cannot worship the Creator and look with careless indifference upon his creation. The love of all life helps man to the enjoyment of a better life. ...Love of nature is akin to the love of God, the two are inseparable."

-Joseph F. Smith

I'm no mormon by any stretch, but that's some great writing.

Thanks, Brian. I love to read good proper English.

stefan
01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
The problem I've had with some of the people here is that they kill just to kill -- and that's depravity. It is morally reprehensible (just plain wrong) to kill critters and not use them. "

while this may be the reason one is permitted (encouraged?) to hunt, i suppose it's more about asking(confronting) yourself truthfully -- what is the primary reason you are out there doing this, that is, what is your real motivation.

... moreover, and what does it mean to put movies of exploding rabbits on the internet, all the while cracking jokes?

Sombeech
01-17-2007, 08:04 PM
what does it mean to put movies of exploding rabbits on the internet, all the while cracking jokes?

This is the only way I can express myself. It's my freedom of speech, and if I can't make videos of killing rabbits, I feel my artistic freedom has been robbed.

Let's just call it "Artistic Expression", so nobody can rightfully complain about it.

fourtycal
01-18-2007, 07:37 AM

while this may be the reason one is permitted (encouraged?) to hunt, i suppose it's more about asking(confronting) yourself truthfully -- what is the primary reason you are out there doing this, that is, what is your real motivation.

For myself there are many reasons to hunt, I do not need to justify it to myself because it is as plain as day to me. I was just explaining that there might possibly be a reason to hunt other than eating the beast (though I do clean, process and eat every animal I harvest that is fit for the table). A farmer might poisen critters to save his field, a rancher might kill preditors trying to take his livestock, I do it because I am a "little man". :haha:

stefan
01-18-2007, 10:57 AM
what does it mean to put movies of exploding rabbits on the internet, all the while cracking jokes?

This is the only way I can express myself.

huh?

It's my freedom of speech, and if I can't make videos of killing rabbits, I feel my artistic freedom has been robbed.

Let's just call it "Artistic Expression", so nobody can rightfully complain about it.

well, it may be your artistic expression, but rest assured, anyone may rightfully complain about it,

Rev. Coyote
01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
This is the only way I can express myself. It's my freedom of speech, and if I can't make videos of killing rabbits, I feel my artistic freedom has been robbed.

I dunno, man...I made a series of videos of myself dressed in a giant duck suit beating midgets with a plastic Santa Claus in a bus station. The cops were SO closed-minded about the whole thing and the judge threw out both my 1st Amendment and 14th Amendment appeals.

The arts are constantly under fire.

Sombeech
01-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I made a series of videos of myself dressed in a giant duck suit beating midgets with a plastic Santa Claus in a bus station.

The bus station must have been closed. They'll come down hard on you for that.