PDA

View Full Version : Lost Backpacker Rescued After Five Weeks

moabfool
01-15-2007, 08:35 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070115/ap_on_re_us/camper_rescued

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - A faint sound made Albert and Peter Kottke stop and look around as they hiked out of the Gila Wilderness at the end of backpacking trip. A figure moved on the other side of the Gila River. As it drew closer, the two university students saw a woman, hunched over and moving slowly.

The Kottkes crossed the river to find Carolyn Dorn, 52, who had been alone in the Gila National Forest for five weeks after becoming trapped on the wrong side of the rain- and snow-swollen river. The search for her had been called off two weeks ago.

The brothers said they realized Dorn was too weak to go with them. They gave her food

Iceaxe
01-15-2007, 03:12 PM
I love a good survival story :2thumbs:

RedMan
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking she should have jumped from a ledge, shoulder rolled into a slot canyon, dived under the log jam and scaled the slot like Bear.

Smart woman who obviously did the right things, quite a story.

Wasatch Rebel
01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
That's a good story with a happy outcome, unlike most of the other stories of lost hikers/climbers we've heard lately. Glad to hear a positive one.

derstuka
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking she should have jumped from a ledge, shoulder rolled into a slot canyon, dived under the log jam and scaled the slot like Bear.

Or she was just DAMN lucky! Like him...

http://www.ugoto.com/links/launch/50154/

Jaxx
01-17-2007, 02:04 PM
It seems like she would have tried to cross the river at some point during the 2 weeks that she had food and strength, how come the 2 boys made it across? Ups to the lady for surviving though.

asdf
01-18-2007, 05:03 AM

Keep up these wonderful insights, your genius astounds.

RedRoxx
01-25-2007, 04:10 AM
I've hiked in that wilderness four trips and plan others, could see how it could happen. On my Gila Forks trips some of the water crossings were so strong my trekking poles vibrated like guitar strings, and I had to shuffle my feet or get shoved downstream. And I had a backpack on set up for 8 days out. The full force of the Gila is to be reckoned with.
She probably became weak but also afraid and maybe disoriented, ie, if she crossed couldn't find her way back. And the water levels may have dropped and the guys were used to it, visually maybe she couldn't tell the difference looking at it day after day.

I agree with the above, glad to see a good outcome for a change. She's a survivor.

tanya
01-25-2007, 06:25 AM
I've hiked in that wilderness four trips and plan others, could see how it could happen. On my Gila Forks trips some of the water crossings were so strong my trekking poles vibrated like guitar strings, and I had to shuffle my feet or get shoved downstream. And I had a backpack on set up for 8 days out. The full force of the Gila is to be reckoned with.
She probably became weak but also afraid and maybe disoriented, ie, if she crossed couldn't find her way back. And the water levels may have dropped and the guys were used to it, visually maybe she couldn't tell the difference looking at it day after day.

I agree with the above, glad to see a good outcome for a change. She's a survivor.

Hi Red! It looks like you are quite the hiker! Glad to have you here. :five: I looked at your photos, they are MAGNIFICENT!!!! KUDOS!

DiscGo
01-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Redman- I just want to point out that I love Man vs Wild (Bear Grylls). I think he would do a better job surviving than anybody on this site in a real survival situation (for at least 95% of the locations in world).

One thing I like about that show is the fact that he is always sharing amazing survival stories of people who have survived in the area of which the episode takes place.

Don't let "the man's" opinion get you down :haha:

*Bear definitely was lucky his parachute accident.* I just think he is much better at surviving than he is credited on this site.

RedMan
01-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm not questioning Bears ability.
He is clearly much better at it than I would be.

I suspect the "production" aspect of the show were not well planned so a certain amount of showmanship is peaking through which leaves me cold.

I just don't care for the show, I guess I'm picky.

chabidiah
02-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I have never been lost but i have spent a few nights out survival camping and I could see how she could be excited about the idea of a book. It gets pretty lonely out there, and after five weeks I am surprised she didn't jump those boys. lol
As for the show, I idol worship Bear. Dang anyone who would willingly squeeze and drink the water out of elephant dung and pee on a rag and rap it around his face deserves respect. And the fact that he does it even though it is not a life or death situation for him, makes it all the more impressive. I do agree that they must spend a bit of time rigging up to get some of the video effects but i would climb with that guy any day! :dropmouth: