PDA

View Full Version : Man VS Wild

DiscGo
01-11-2007, 08:10 PM
With Ohio State losing this week, I am being made fun of a fair share (not just on this site either). I thought I would fuel the fire a little more and just point out how much I love the show Man VS Wild.

I have seen several posts of you guys making fun of it, but I just love it. I love learning survival techniques and I have learned a lot from the show. I have downloaded every episode and watched them all several times, I feel more prepared for the outdoors because of it.

My wife and my friends and I have been practicing a lot of outdoors skills after purchasing Tom Brown's Survival guide at Costco last year (awesome book). I feel Man VS Wild has helped show us how to do some of the things we have read about it in the book.

Anyway, I appreciate the show and I just thought I would tell you guys.

P.S. The show is especially good compared to "Surivivorman". I think that show is lame!

Sombeech
01-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I'll watch both of them, but get a little bugged at the same time.

I do like the tactic of Survivorman, where he's actually alone. I think it builds the suspense a bit.

Man vs Wild is OK too, but I can see where certain camera angles are dramatizing the situation.

tanya
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
With Ohio State losing this week, I am being made fun of a fair share (not just on this site either). I thought I would fuel the fire a little more and just point out how much I love the show Man VS Wild.

I have seen several posts of you guys making fun of it, but I just love it. I love learning survival techniques and I have learned a lot from the show. I have downloaded every episode and watched them all several times, I feel more prepared for the outdoors because of it.

My wife and my friends and I have been practicing a lot of outdoors skills after purchasing Tom Brown's Survival guide at Costco last year (awesome book). I feel Man VS Wild has helped show us how to do some of the things we have read about it in the book.

Anyway, I appreciate the show and I just thought I would tell you guys.

P.S. The show is especially good compared to "Surivivorman". I think that show is lame!

The one Man VS Wild show I saw where he jumped into a slot canyon was insane to say the least. Don't listen to that whacko. Granted I only seen one show, but that was enough.

On the otherhand Less seems to be the real deal. What is that show called where they drop him off for a few days with little besides his camera gear. I quite enjoy that one. I also like the show "I shouldn't be alive"

I am lucky since I get to hike with Bo each week. Not only is he a hiking/canyoneering/climbing/SAR animal, but he use to teach survival when he was in the military. He shows me stuff all the time. I really get a kick out of him stopping in the middle of no-where to try and get me to read a map and all the other skills he tries to teach me. :lol8: We love hiking in the winter and all kinds of places. I have never once felt worry or lost, but then I have had him by my side for 3 years. Well there was that mountain lion thing. :mrgreen: I am not sure I would want to venture out without him.

I had this one show on the other day where 2 guys wandered in the desert until one died. It's so nice to be with someone that either always knows where he is or can figure it out.

Mtnman1830
01-12-2007, 05:23 AM
I like Man vs. Wild, but I believe that some of what he does is just for ratings. As for Survivorman, I haven't seen it. I dont have TiVo, and I work end of the week nights. I am just lucky that MvW is on sundays.

derstuka
01-12-2007, 06:30 AM
I think that Man vs. Wild is a pretty good show. The problem with survival shows, is that if you happen to have a skill in a particular field that he touches on, then you are most likely not gonna agree with all of his methods. Overall, I think that he raises some good points, and has some good ideas. Nobody is ever gonna agree with everything that he does, but if you enjoy the show, and pick up a few pointers, then :2thumbs: :2thumbs: A lot of times he just does certain things to show you how you could survive if something very unfortunate happened to you (such as falling into freezing water, and so on). Of course this is TV and somethings might be exaggerated a tad, but that there is still lots of clever ideas from the show.

Udink
01-12-2007, 06:36 AM
I like both Man vs. Wild and Survivorman, but clearly Man vs. Wild is the more contrived of the two. I mean, every time they show Bear climbing any kind of vertical cliff, tree, etc., they always show an eye-level view of him about half way up, meaning that while he's struggling to climb, the camera man is having no difficulties despite carrying the camera gear. Each situation on Man vs. Wild is carefully planned and set up well before they begin filming, even though they try to make everything seem spontaneous and potentially dangerous. I think the show is at least good for its entertainment value, and I really enjoy seeing all the different remote areas that he travels to, but I think the "survival" aspect of the show has little value.

Sombeech
01-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Some of the tactics are useful, like how to swim across a lake in your clothes.

But we could clearly see that walking around the lake was an option.

rockgremlin
01-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Ya, I saw the one where he was dropped into the desert outside "The Moab" Utah. It all looked grossly overdramasized. He first claims that he wants to find a drainage that leads down to the Colorado. But then once he finds it, he hikes upcanyon instead of downcanyon, and ends up reaching a dead end, and then has to make a steep climb up and out of it. :roll:

What a dork! Doesn't he know canyoneers go down!! :lol8:

Sombeech
01-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Doesn't he know canyoneers go down!! :lol8:

Canyoneers do it in the Slots. And they go down.

moabfool
01-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I voted yes, but only for entertainment value, kinda like a train wreck. I will reaffirm my stance. The show is good for entertainment value only. Some of the "survival techniques" he shows will only take people from a bad situation to a worse one. He's going to get sued by some poor dead fool's family.

DiscGo
01-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Of course he could go around the lake, but he could also just not get dropped off in the middle of nowhere to begin with. He of course does a lot of stuff he doesn't need to, to try and show what to do if you are in the situation.

What gets me is survivorman. I think that guy is a joke. He is much more of a film maker than he is an outdoorsman. I guess it is just funny to me that we could watch these shows and view them so differently about which is helpful and which isn't.

chickenlicken
01-13-2007, 07:47 AM
I like to watch it occasionally, but it comes on fri night and I'm ususally wine and dining my wife. But.. the last time I watched, his decision to jump in a raging river to cover lots of miles with little effort was silly. Not only was he wearing "sweats", in subsequent shots you could tell he was now wearing a life vest under the sweats. I still find it interesting to see how the "expert" deals with the situation.

Iceaxe
01-13-2007, 08:27 AM
I watched the first episode (Moab), but it was so bad and the skills suggest were so far off base I couldn't bring myself to watch anther episode.

If I watch again it will be for the comical aspect. :2thumbs:

RedMan
01-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Man vs Wild is nowhere near as good as Survivorman.

Bear was in Alaska, finds an old boat, goes out into a lake, the boat sinks and he explains that the camera guy has a drysuit. Huh?

The scene was scripted and the crew provided the camera man with a drysuit for the sinking of the boat. That right there tells me the whole scenario is a farce. They are intentionally putting him in situations they create. Why didn't they show him punching the hole in the boat?

He does give a few good survival tips but the scenarios they are creating for dramatic effect are dangerous messages in some cases.

Survivor man is much better. He is alone and has the added problems of packing a bunch of camera gear with him and they even show the problems and extra work he encounters trying to film the experience.
Not to mention his camera work is actually BETTER than the crew with Bear.

I also like the way Les sometimes seems to get genuinely stressed by the situation, just like you would, and starts cussing the producers. His Costa Rica Trip was classic.

Can you imagine how hard it is to film that show? Imagine doing a dozen week long survival trips every year with the pressure of having to capture the whole thing by yourself with enough quality to produce a TV show.

Besides that Les is a talented musician and does the theme song himself.

Unless they are airdropping happy meals to Les each day I find Survivorman very genuine.

tanya
01-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Bear was in Alaska, finds an old boat, goes out into a lake, the boat sinks and he explains that the camera guy has a drysuit. Huh?

The scene was scripted and the crew provided the camera man with a drysuit for the sinking of the boat. That right there tells me the whole scenario is a farce. They are intentionally putting him in situations they create. Why didn't they show him punching the hole in the boat?

He does give a few good survival tips but the scenarios they are creating for dramatic effect are dangerous messages in some cases.

Survivor man is much better. He is alone and has the added problems of packing a bunch of camera gear with him and they even show the problems and extra work he encounters trying to film the experience.

I also like the way Les sometimes seems to get genuinely stressed by the situation, just like you would, and starts cussing the producers. His Costa Rica Trip was classic.

Can you imagine how hard it is to film that show? Imagine doing a dozen week long survival trips every year with the pressure of having to capture the whole thing by yourself with enough quality to produce a TV show.

Unless they are airdropping happy meals to Les each day I find Survivorman very genuine.

Yes! I totally agree. Les is :Ahnuld: and Smart (Is there a reason we don't have a smart icon)

And most of all real! Like when he is looking at the monkeys and cuts his finger to the bone. I love how he shows how miserable the nights and other things can get. And how dangerous it is at times to go up and down some things just so he can film it for us.

"No food, no shelter, no fresh water, no tools... no camera crew. One man - alone in the wild for seven days with only his wits and stamina to sustain him. "

http://www.survivorman.ca/images/home1.jpg

Mr. Bear is :puke8: :kickit: I am with Shane. After that Moab adventure I can't stomach the guy.

RedMan
01-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Riddle me this.

Bear is out there with a camera crew right?
Are they ALSO living off the land?
Am I suppose to believe that he is out there having a gopher for dinner and the crew is too?

Dinner time comes and Bear snares a rat while the crew whips out a real meal and cooks it on a gas stove? Is he sleeping in the twig shelter while they are in tents on air mats? And is the camera man hauling his backpack full of camping gear AND the camera equipment?

After 7 days he would be attacking them for the cliff bars you know they are carrying. I guess I call BS on the whole concept.

tanya
01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Riddle me this.

Bear is out there with a camera crew right?
Are they ALSO living off the land?
Am I suppose to believe that he is out there having a gopher for dinner and the crew is too?

Dinner time comes and Bear snares a rat while the crew whips out a real meal and cooks it on a gas stove? Is he sleeping in the twig shelter while they are in tents on air mats? And is the camera man hauling his backpack full of camping gear AND the camera equipment?

After 7 days he would be attacking them for the cliff bars you know they are carrying. I guess I call BS on the whole concept.

:roflol: I like that attacking for cliff bars part! :roflol: :roflol:

RedMan
01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I can see the camera man and the producer.

Day 6 of the "survival" adventure

Producer: Uh Bear, excuse us a minute. (wanders around a big rock with the camera man)

Bear: (thinking) What the he.. is that about? (climbs up on the rock)

at this point he sees producer and cameraman snarfing down snickers bars and drinking an icy Jones cream soda.

Producer: Can you believe the putz signed up for this abuse?
Camera man: Yeah, what a block head, when does the chopper arrive? I'm in the mood for a good steak tonight.
Producer: Man wasn't that roast duck we had in Moab last night good?
Camera man: For gods sake don't tell Bear about that, he's looking like he might snap.
Producer: Yeah, did you bring the rat for him?
Camera man: yeah caught one in the dumpster behind the motel. We can make out like he caught it in a snare made from his shoelace.

Sombeech
01-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Next Episode on Man vs Wild.

[slight British accent]
My body's going into shock. I've got my producers eating a tasty meal, just on the other side of the camera.
If I pee on my shirt and throw it at them, I can scare them away from the warm food. At that time, I'll swoop in for the kill.
I've got some Moose poop here, so when they come back to empty plates, they can squeeze it for water.
[/slight British accent]

tanya
01-13-2007, 03:43 PM
:roflol:

DiscGo
01-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I really think you guys are all wrong. Bear is loves the outdoors and is a survivor. Les Stroud (from survivorman) is just a film maker.

Compare Bear's experience with Les Strouds and you tell me which one is the read deal.

From Les Stroud's website:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/DiscGolfDiver/LES.jpg
From Bear Grylls website:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/DiscGolfDiver/Bear.jpg

Also I would like to say that I do think that Bear would do better than any of us in most survival situations. I know I that I can do better than Les Stroud in most situations.

Johnlithon
01-13-2007, 06:13 PM
If I had to choose between the two in a survival situation I would mos def. choose Bear. :nod:

tanya
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
If I had to choose between the two in a survival situation I would mos def. choose Bear. :nod:

I would rather have my 6 year old lead me out of danger -- from what I saw of Bear on his show. :popcorn:

Sombeech
01-13-2007, 06:56 PM

I would rather have my 6 year old lead me out of danger -- from what I saw of Bear on his show. :popcorn:

:roflol: Ohhhhh, SNAP!

Actually Bear does have a pretty impressive portfolio.

Udink
01-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I really think you guys are all wrong. Bear is loves the outdoors and is a survivor. Les Stroud (from survivorman) is just a film maker.

Compare Bear's experience with Les Strouds and you tell me which one is the read deal.
I don't think anyone is questioning the credentials of the two men. The real issue to me, and I'm sure everyone else here, is the production of the two television shows. Man vs. Wild is obviously and unmercifully over-produced, while Survivorman is much less contrived.

RedMan
01-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree, Bear is probably better qualified.
But his show is being produced poorly IMHO.

If he was using a one man format like Survivorman it would be much more real.

DiscGo
01-14-2007, 05:37 AM
I would rather have my 6 year old lead me out of danger -- from what I saw of Bear on his show.

Tanya- You've still only watched the show once right? The Moab episode is my 2nd least favorite (I didn't really like the Costa Rican Rain-forest). Some of the episdoes are just amazing.

I really disagree. I feel like Surivorman's format is disappointing because Stroud has to do 3 times the effort to just walk, so he doesn't get as much done.

If you trust that Bear is following the format on which the show is based, than it really is amazing. One thing I love about Bear vs Les is that he is so positive.

Les is eating and complains when he hears a plane over head that those people are probably eating lobster up there. Bear catches a fish and says it is the best meal he is ever going to have.

I feel like Les is always trying to get the better camera angle instead of experience, and he is not very like-able. Bear only has to focus on surviving so he is able to do a lot more, and he is always very positive.

tanya
01-14-2007, 07:10 AM
[quote=tanya]
I would rather have my 6 year old lead me out of danger -- from what I saw of Bear on his show.

Tanya- You've still only watched the show once right? The Moab episode is my 2nd least favorite (I didn't really like the Costa Rican Rain-forest). Some of the episdoes are just amazing.

I only give a man one chance. He sinks or swims. That show/Bear gave advise that would have killed people on that show. That was enough for me. Am I suppose to keep watching as he learns. Sure he climbed, with a group and other things, but often when a person is on his own that is when what he really is shines thorugh. It was more than just a camera crew following him around, he showed things that would kill people.

If you are watching for entertainment that's one thing, but if you are watching, as you said, for tips on survival, that is scarey! I hope everyone does not start jumping into slot canyons that they know nothing about ,hoping to easily wade to fresh water. If he gets someone stuck in one of those they will die. No one will look for someone who is lost in a slot canyon, (unless that is where they intended on going) when they are suppose to be out in the desert, because only an insane person would jump into one! I just cannot get over how horrible that advise was.

tanya
01-14-2007, 07:40 AM

I really disagree. I feel like Surivorman's format is disappointing because Stroud has to do 3 times the effort to just walk, so he doesn't get as much done.

If you trust that Bear is following the format on which the show is based, than it really is amazing. One thing I love about Bear vs Les is that he is so positive.

Les is eating and complains when he hears a plane over head that those people are probably eating lobster up there. Bear catches a fish and says it is the best meal he is ever going to have.

I feel like Les is always trying to get the better camera angle instead of experience, and he is not very like-able. Bear only has to focus on surviving so he is able to do a lot more, and he is always very positive.

That's because Les is for real! The man is sent out without food or water for 7 days! Bear is eating steak for dinner each night I bet and he has people to talk to and communicate with. He feels no fear, he feels nothing he should be if he was actually lost in the wilderness.

It's rough out in the wilderness without the comforts of life and that includes others to talk with and the comfort of knowing if anything goes bad there are people there to take care of you. Bear is putting on a show and eating a few things here and there for effect. Les has to eat what he can find .... he does not have anyone else there to take care of him or to rely on! It's not comfortable out in the wilderness without stuff and anyone that is looking comfortable is cheating --- is my guess or they are not telling us what is really on their mind -- which again is fake. Take a trip out in the middle of nowhere for 7 days without stuff and record how happy you are when you are living on bugs and dehydrated and probably scared. :mrgreen:

Even his name seems fake.... Bear?!?!?! Grrrrrrlyis?

RedMan
01-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Yup Les bitches and moans. Who wouldn't to some extent.
Eating rats and snakes is not great fun, unless you are obviously putting on a show for the cameras like Bear.

At least Les is very aware that breaking a leg would be a disaster for him. Whereas Bear is jumping off of ledges and telling us how we should tuck and roll. Bear behaves as though he is with a group that has a helicopter. I think he is giving out deadly advice.

Les gets plenty done, He survives for seven days. Shelter, water, food and looking for a rescue is ALL it should be about. He is all alone so its more real.

For Bear those seem to be the easy things. So he is spicing up by jumping off of ledges and diving into slot canyons. All very dramatic but hardly good survival advice. Intentionally sinking a boat you KNEW was likely to be unworthy (he mentioned that when he found it) so you can show how to survive in cold water is contrived.

DiscGo
01-14-2007, 08:22 AM
You guys are totally wrong about this show. He does not have any interaction with the crew unless his life is in danger. His name really is Bear.

He was born: Edward Michael Bear Grylls

That is his real middle name and he has always gone by it.

Check out more about him:
http://www.beargrylls.com/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

There are several things on his show that I don't understand but in every episode I have learned some neat stuff. I spent six summers in Alaska as a tour guide and I learned a lot from Alaska episode as well.

As far as him not being scared check this out:

http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/index.html?playerId=203711706&categoryId=318358451&lineupId=325389581

Cirrus2000
01-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Bear has a son named Marmaduke?!? Seriously.

I've never seen Survivorman. I've only seen the Moab episode of Man Vs. Wild (thanks again, Reedus!).

Simple initial response to that episode was that the camera angles were contrived to make things more "dramatic" (to the point of extreme annoyance), and that I wasn't totally bowled over by his skills (purely subjective).

But the episode showed an area that I love, and that I can't get enough of, so in fact I thoroughly enjoyed it (despite the odd fellow capering about in the foreground, trying to be dramatic.)

tanya
01-14-2007, 02:17 PM
You guys are totally wrong about this show. He does not have any interaction with the crew unless his life is in danger. His name really is Bear.

There are several things on his show that I don't understand but in every episode I have learned some neat stuff. I spent six summers in Alaska as a tour guide and I learned a lot from Alaska episode as well.

http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/index.html?playerId=203711706&categoryId=318358451&lineupId=325389581

That's quite a dramatic clip :popcorn: Feels like I am watching Cliffhanger with Stallone

DiscGo
01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
That's quite a dramatic clip :popcorn: Feels like I am watching Cliffhanger with Stallone

That's cold Tanya.

You guys know what we should do is have a Man VS Wild marathon night! :popcorn:

tanya
01-21-2007, 12:30 PM

That's cold Tanya.

Okay... I would warm up if I was face to face with Bear in real life. He is a hottie! :hail2thechief: I might even jump in that slot canyon and swim :scared: under the twigs!!!!! Anyone should have a second chance, but when he is on the Discovery Channel and claiming to be an expert then I expect him to be. If the show were for pure entertainment thats another thing. I suppose I should not base my judgment on one show, but dang it was a really bad one!

derstuka
01-22-2007, 07:18 AM

That's cold Tanya.

Okay... I would warm up if I was face to face with Bear in real life. He is a hottie! :hail2thechief: I might even jump in that slot canyon and swim :scared: under the twigs!!!!! Anyone should have a second chance, but when he is on the Discovery Channel and claiming to be an expert then I expect him to be. If the show were for pure entertainment thats another thing. I suppose I should not base my judgment on one show, but dang it was a really bad one!

I'll swim under da twigs with ya tanya! :mwink: You talking about Bear is making me jealous now! I will have to :flamer: him!

DiscGo
01-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Anyone should have a second chance, but when he is on the Discovery Channel and claiming to be an expert then I expect him to be. If the show were for pure entertainment thats another thing. I suppose I should not base my judgment on one show, but dang it was a really bad one!

You should see his deserted Island episode, it's awesome!

tanya
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM

That's cold Tanya.

I'll swim under da twigs with ya tanya! :mwink: You talking about Bear is making me jealous now! I will have to :flamer: him!

Awwwww... I am so flattered. :oops: Bear who? :haha:

Jaxx
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
I feel that both of them are somewhat un-realistic due to the fact that Les probably has, at a minimun, some MRE's and a radio if he gets into real trouble. Bear has people to keep him company and probably real meals. I still enjoy watching both shows and get some really good tips from them, that I hopefully never have to use.

greyhair biker
01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
pretty cool stuff all around but Id rather watch it than do it :haha: - unless its swimming under the twigs with the local zion hottie :haha:

tanya
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
pretty cool stuff all around but Id rather watch it than do it :haha: - unless its swimming under the twigs with the local zion hottie :haha:

Awwwwwww .... That really made me smile!!! :nod:

shaggy125
01-31-2007, 05:24 PM

Just like the Blair Witch Project was really the raw footage found after a group of kids went out trying to film a documentary. Hollywood tries to get you to believe this crap is true, and with the Blair Witch Project, how many websites talked about the movie being actual footage found in the woods. Over on the yahoo canyoneering group there has been a discussion on this Man vs. Wild thing, a guy named Brett Sutteer from Cliffs and Canyons, a guiding service in Moab, had this to say:

"We did all the safety and rigging for the episode--they, however,
had the all the wacky ideas, and try as we might we couldn't
convince them that swimming under a log jam was not a very wise
thing to do. As happens with the Hollywood types, that want some
accuracy but not at the expense of good drama.

I'm actually watching it for the first time while writing this. The
camera trickery is in the editing. Climb up with out a rope, cut to
a different angle and the newly-employed saftey ropes are obsucured,
with a harness worn under his pants.

I was told that this needn't be "real", since he's INSTRUCTING you
on what to do IF you were confronted with these same challenges.
This is Discovery Channels justification for it not being "real".
They are only implying that he's out there surviving in the
elements, when he's actually staying at the Gonzo Inn in downtown
Moab.

The canyon in question is Fry, directly under the highway. The
upclimb (15') is a couple of hundred meters upstream. Notice how
when he pops up out of the canyon he's at Camelot, out beyond Hurrah
Pass. The Moab, how comical!

Brett Sutteer
Cliffs & Canyons"

Believe what you want, but I for one never believed this guy was for real, way too much drama and fancy camera angles. This doesn't mean the show isn't entertaining, just not what it claims to be, at least in my opinion.

Source of quote:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/35154

DiscGo
02-17-2007, 05:38 AM
Here is a letter from Bear Grylls:

It is nearing the end of this first season now of man vs wild and to be honest I have hardly had time to blink this year. After Christmas I move straight on to filming the next season of the show so I thought I would log on and leave a quick post on the forum.

First up, I have been kind of overwhelmed by the response to the show - it has been so encouraging that so many people seemed to have enjoyed it, more so than any of us ever imagined. Survival and adventure is definitely out there!

First up, I've never been that with it with forums -- not very much time near a computer(!), and also I guess a bit wary of how easy it is to criticise from the safety of our armchairs!-- but I thought I would briefly give my take on things and peoples responses - and by the way thanks to all of you who have shown your support and loyalty throughout- it means alot - thank you.

From my perspective, I have always been wary of letting people try and call me an expert in anything! In my view, that instantly makes people want to pick your views/techniques etc apart! There will always be someone somewhere who is better at survival, more knowledgeable etc than me. It is inevitable.

All I really am is someone who served with pride with the British SAS, and has spent a considerable amount of my life up high mountains and in quite hostile places, and during these experiences from Everest and beyond I have learnt a certain amount about how to stay alive.

The show itself is about watching a journey. It's about seeing what I do to try and escape these hostile places, with all the struggles and human frailties that I know survival really encompasses.

It may not necessarily be the best or prettiest method, but it is how I would survive in these situations. Take it or leave it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn

stefan
07-24-2007, 05:03 AM
uh oh ... :haha:

Discovery's "Wild" man not so brave: report
By Andrew Wallenstein
Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Discovery Channel is re-evaluating one of its most popular series, "Man vs. Wild," after allegations surfaced that its survival-expert host was bunking in motels when he was supposed to be braving the great outdoors.

The network issued a statement Monday in response to an investigation launched by British television network Channel 4, which carries the program under the title "Born Survivor: Bear Grylls." Channel 4 confirmed that host Bear Grylls had partaken of indoor accommodations on at least two occasions when his series had depicted him spending the night in the wild.

"Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," the network said in a statement.

The production company behind the series, Diverse Television, is cooperating with the Channel 4 investigation, which likely will address a range of allegations that called into question "Wild's" authenticity.

In each episode of the series, Grylls is airlifted into the wilderness with only a few tools to aid in his survival, such as a flint or water bottle. A former British special forces soldier, Grylls is typically depicted as subsisting for several days without intervention or interruption while cameramen follow him offscreen. He has been stranded all over the globe, including Utah's Moab desert and the Costa Rican rain forest.

But among the charges made against Grylls is that a raft he is depicted as having built himself actually was constructed and then disassembled by consultants to the show in order for the host to put it together. In another episode, Grylls happens upon what are referred to as wild horses that were said to be brought in from a trekking station.

The brouhaha could become a PR nightmare for the channel, which in recent years has abandoned contrived unscripted formats in favor of the scientific explorations that first made the Discovery brand famous. "Wild" in particular has emerged as one of its main attractions during the past two seasons.

But the company gave no indication about parting ways with the series, only making certain unspecified alterations.

"Moving forward, the program will be 100% transparent and all elements of the filming will be explained upfront to our viewers," Discovery said. "In addition, shows that are to be repeated will be edited appropriately. Bear Grylls is a world-class adventurer and a terrific talent."

A spokeswoman for Discovery declined to elaborate on what exact measures will be taken to address the concerns raised about "Wild."

Among the likely possibilities: a disclaimer that will precede each episode explaining that some of the events being depicted are dramatized.

On July 13, Grylls spoke at the Television Critics Assn. summer press tour in Los Angeles about production of the series but gave little hint of any shenanigans behind the scenes. At one point, he described what it was like to bed down in the wild.

"Often at nighttime, they will get helicoptered out, and they might have to recharge camera batteries and hand in footage, and then they leave me a little minicamera for the night stuff, and they come and rejoin me in the morning," he said.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

jumar
07-24-2007, 06:49 AM
:roflol:

RugerShooter
07-24-2007, 07:00 AM
I knew it, :nono:
I still Like the show

chickenlicken
07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
We had a discussion about this show at a family gathering last week. We all said that we thought Bear, at times, makes some ridiculous decisions. :nono:
The funny thing is that we all like to watch the show.
I am not even surprised that they take liberties when editing and scripting, that's how television is, like it or not.

KillEmAll
07-24-2007, 09:46 AM
My wife asks me all the time why I watch this show if he does such stupid things. I watch it because its entertaining. I was thinking they should do a "making of" episode, but then I realized nobody wants to see him using raps, sleeping in cushy hotels, etc. etc. It would just ruin the feel of the show. This is why I think Survivorman is so much better - it's real life, not scripted life.

AFI
07-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Still like Man vs Wild better. Survivorman puts me to sleep...

Deathcricket
07-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Quoted for complete agreement. That Man Vrs wild episode where he is sprinting down glaciers actually made me laugh though. Like if your lost in the wild, the best thing to do is run as fast as you can down slippery ice. LOL. "Don't worry about getting a broken leg when you're lost, the key thing is to get down the mountain as fast as ya can". Then when he is in the rain forest and drinking straight from the river without sanitizing the water first, another good call buddy. I'm sure parasites arent a major concern in a tropical environment. Oh and how about when he picks the maggots straight off a dead deer and claims they are a good source of protein? And of course the Moab episode people have already mentioned.

On the other hand, the Survivorman episode that played directly after "I shouldnt be alive" where he retraced the steps of the couple with their baby that got trapped in the snowstorm with their car? Brilliant! Basically he went step by step on everything they did and gave tips on how to improve your chances to survive in such a nasty situation. I really enjoyed how he wasn't critical of them, but pointed out stuff they could have done that I would have never even though of.

And of course the fact that he is out there all by himself with no one to talk too, and has to lug all his own camera stuff around makes it a bit more realistic. I also like how they give him a little advantage in every episode. Like the Utah episode, he had a broken up bicycle, which would simulate a cyclist being stranded with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. He took out the spokes and made a hat. No one is going to end up being stranded in the middle of no where with nothing, and learning to use what you have to live is another cool factor of the show.

Starting to ramble and gonna cut this short,

Man vrs Wild = entertainent/ comedy
Suvivorman = "Here is what you want to do if this happens to you"

Late!

-D-

crazy horse
07-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I love em both! Its been awhile since i've watched survivorman, but i try and watch Man vs. Wild every time its on. Bear Grylls is a BAMF for sure. Its true that he does do some stupid stuff, but come on, you have to be hardcore to swan dive into a glacial river, even if you have a dry change of clothes provided by your camera crew, which I don't believe he does.