PDA

View Full Version : Jarbidge Wilderness

packfish
01-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Has anyone here packed into that area in Northern Nevada? Just looking for what to expect. I know it's one of the most remote areas in the lower US and is probably fairly steep over all. Just looking for some personal experiences so I can be a little better prepared the first time in.
Thanks.

Brian in SLC
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Has anyone here packed into that area in Northern Nevada? Just looking for what to expect. I know it's one of the most remote areas in the lower US and is probably fairly steep over all. Just looking for some personal experiences so I can be a little better prepared the first time in.

I've been there a couple of times. I think in a decent snow year, the approach roads and trailheads don't get clear until early to mid July.

Also, this is a kinda remote and wooly area. As such, there are some remote and wooly folks out there. Be careful poking around in any old mining stuff, cabins, old structures, or, past no tresspassing signs. Some strange stuff out that way.

High country is beauty. Jarbridge town is kinda novel, too...

-Brian in SLC

packfish
01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Thank you- I know the what you are talking about.

DAA
01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
...I think in a decent snow year, the approach roads and trailheads don't get clear until early to mid July.

Also, this is a kinda remote and wooly area. As such, there are some remote and wooly folks out there. Be careful poking around in any old mining stuff, cabins, old structures, or, past no tresspassing signs. Some strange stuff out that way...

-Brian in SLC

Spot on, all of that.

Never backpacked into the WA, but have been all around it many times and done a lot of camping and light hiking in the area. Have definitely run across some strange stuff in that country! Found some stuff in a cave out there a few years ago that sure had us scratching our heads. The cave was in a really hard to find spot a mile or so off any road. I found it totally by accident. There was an old bathroom scale and an empty wooden box on the floor of the cave. Went back with a metal detector a couple years later, didn't find anything except this penny:

http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/varmints/websize/CaveMoney.jpg

Guess we'll always wonder who drug that old bathroom scale up to that cave and why???

Last year we tried to get up to Bear Creek in late May. Came up off of I-80 from Deeth and the adventure started well before Bruneau meadows. Road was washed out and covered in two to three feet of water for about a hundred yards. Had a couple seconds of butt clench getting around it but the Jeep got us through. Starting up the canyon after Charleston, it was mud and running water on the road, with patches of snow, until we finally got stopped dead by drifts about a mile short of Coon Creek Summit. Spent a couple days camping in the Bruneau river gorge and exploring the country over towards the Mary's river drainage. Saw lots of neat stuff. In two and a half days, did NOT see another human being. Gotta love that!

Pic is of where we camped the last night, between the Bruneau drainage and the Mary's river drainage. We'd picked up on the trace of an old wagon trail and followed it up the drainage a few miles before it just faded out right where my Jeep is sitting. Actually did pick up the wagon track again by walking about a half mile further up the draw, but I didn't want to drive across the vegetation in between. Decided to camp right there. Nothing better than a camp site off the beaten track like that.

http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/varmints/websize/JarbidgeCamp-2.jpg

That Jarbridge area is one of my favorites, for sure.

- DAA

Scott P
01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Jarbridge town is kinda novel, too...

That Jarbridge area is one of my favorites, for sure.

PS, the locals get extremely pissed when someone refers to their town or area as Jarbridge. :naughty: The correct word is Jarbidge with only one "r". There is no such thing as Jarbridge. :doh:

Cirrus2000
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
OK, I gotta know... What year was the penny? :ne_nau:

packfish
01-18-2007, 06:07 AM
PS, the locals get extremely pissed when someone refers to their town or area as Jarbridge. :naughty: The correct word is Jarbidge with only one "r". There is no such thing as Jarbridge. :doh:[/quote]

Yes- I was told that- Jarbidge- Shoshone word meaning Weird beastly creature.

DAA
01-18-2007, 07:51 AM
OK, I gotta know... What year was the penny? :ne_nau:

Couldn't say. The date isn't legible. It's so corroded or whatever, I can't even tell if it had a wheat back or not.

- DAA