PDA

View Full Version : Tires to buy

tallsteve
01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
What has been everyones favorite all-terrain tire? I'm in the process of deciding which tire to buy for my Jeep Liberty. I don't do any heavy duty off-roading, just alot of dirt/gravel roads with mostly commuting on pavement. I've worn through the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's on there now. I don't think I would buy these again since I've gone through this same tire twice now. They wear way to fast! I've heard horror stories about the BFG TA"s on short wheelbases. What's worked good for you? I'd like input.

Udink
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
What has been everyones favorite all-terrain tire? I'm in the process of deciding which tire to buy for my Jeep Liberty. I don't do any heavy duty off-roading, just alot of dirt/gravel roads with mostly commuting on pavement. I've worn through the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's on there now. I don't think I would buy these again since I've gone through this same tire twice now. They wear way to fast! I've heard horror stories about the BFG TA"s on short wheelbases. What's worked good for you? I'd like input.
What kinds of problems have you heard about with BFGs? I was planning on getting some BFG mudders the next time my truck needs tires. Of course, my wheelbase is super long.

As far as all-terrains, I had a set of Prospector A/T (http://www.accconline.com/Tires/AmericanRadials/)s on my '79 F-150 that lasted forever. They were already on the truck when I bought it, and they still had some tread left when I sold the truck 6 years later. They were decent tires for as bad as I treated them.

Sombeech
01-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I got 55k+ miles out of my BFG All Terrains on my wrangler. They're great for jeeps, because of the vehicle size, so they'll last a lot longer than they're rated.

If it's on a truck, fahgett abatt it.

I've done many offroad trails with the BFG all terrains. :2thumbs:

fourtycal
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I had Toyo Open Country A/T's on my Toyota before I sold it. They seemed to hold up great, Quiet on the highway and still tuff on the rocks. http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?category=lgt-suv-truck

Win
01-11-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm a dealer for Hankook and I'm putting these on my Honda Pilot:

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=18

I just put the new Hankook M/T on my Rubicon and so far they seem great.

Win

Rev. Coyote
01-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I've worn through the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's on there now. I don't think I would buy these again since I've gone through this same tire twice now. They wear way to fast!

REALLY??? I have Revos on my Cummins 2500 4x4 and they've crossed the country twice with a trailer, done trails, umpteen miles of gravel, and they are wearing great. Now, they are E-Range (80 psi), so maybe that's the difference.

ALSO: I hear there's a Liberty diesel coming out. Talk about cool.

tallsteve
01-11-2007, 08:14 AM
While I love the Dueler Revo's tread pattern and how they handled off road I've gone through 2 sets now and only got 20,000 miles out of 'em both times. I've heard, on the BFG's, that they changed up the rubber compound so that now they are having bad cupping/alignment problems on short wheelbase vehicles. Longer wheelbases they're holding up fine. Consequently BFG is having big time warranty issues. I've had 3 stores tell me the same thing and in fact, many stores have stopped selling them. That's why I appreciate everyones input and experience. Right now I'm leaning towards the Firestone Destination A/T. They're ranked at #3 on TireRack.com. I haven't heard of the Hankook brand.

Win
01-11-2007, 08:33 AM
A good friend of mine did recommend the Revos for my Pilot. He told me he's gotten great wear on his Durango.

Hankook is probably not the best known tire but it is OE on the Ford F150 and lots of other cars and trucks. Their truck tire is OE on Internationals. Consumer Reports rated their Hiway A/S third last year, pretty good.

Win

JP
01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
ALSO: I hear there's a Liberty diesel coming out. Talk about cool.
They've been out and they're all done now. It was a pretty sweet 2.5L CRD Turbo.

BFG AT's wear like iron and they're not all that bad for the daily driving vehicle that will partake in some off road excursions. I don't understand that bad rap they get either; I guess it's because of their popularity. The Toyo seems to be a pretty descent tire as well.

scoutabout
01-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow. BFG A/T's are by far the best A/T tread available on the market. The tires have triple sidewalls, and wear very well. The muds are also good, but they wear very quickly.

REDFOX
01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
BF Goodrich A/T have been great for me. 20,000 miles so far with minimal wear. Mostly freeway miles. Big O gave me the best price 1-1/2 years ago.