PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a baby in Feb. in Utah?

Shan
01-08-2007, 09:52 AM
My sister and her fiance want to come to Utah to visit us next month.

She really wants to bring her baby, who will be 7 months old by then. They are not active, outdoorsy, or even in shape. They don't have really any snow clothing. She DID request that she learn skiing. I'm sure we could swing enough extra ski pants, etc.

But now that she is bringing Luke, how are they going to swing it? She will not let ANYONE baby sit him (except my mom and sister who don't live here), even though my awesome neighbors have already said they'd do it if he ever happen to make it to Utah. I really want to see my sister and my nephew, but she's also requested that this be a "real vacation" not a sit around a visit vacation.

He hates to be all bundled up. Have them take turns learning to ski and swap sitting in the lodge?

Then I wanted to show them the hot springs (thought a nice soak after their first day of skiing would be nice) near the Onieda Narrows the next day and she said Luke doesn't like hot water. Vetoed. Ok....

Then I suggested the Olypmic Luge. The public can ride it. I never suggested taking the baby down! But she vetoed that.

So now we have one thing we agreed upon - a horse drawn sleigh ride to view the elk up at Hardware Ranch in Blacksmith Fork Canyon. OK that's a half day worth.

She wanted to rent snowmobiles up at Beaver Creek Lodge, but they don't know what to do with a baby who doesn't like to be bundled up.

C'mon parents - anyone have ideas on what we can do with a baby and have fun in the middle of February near Logan? We could drive somewhere up to 2 hours if we had to. They will be here a Friday - Tuesday.

rockgremlin
01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Hmmmm....that's a toughie. How about taking the snowbird tram up to Hidden Peak? You could all do that together, and that way they could get a glimpse of what they're up against if they wanna take up skiing.

You could lunch at the bottom and take a scenic ride up to the top. Unless of course, they only allow skiers on the tram during the winter months..... :ne_nau: Dunno. Too bad hot springs was vetoed - you could take them down to Crystal Hot Springs.

Shan
01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
We could take the tram for a sight seeing outing. Good idea, that's not too far either. I'll explore that option and check out their website. Hope they aren't scared of heights!

If we were going to ski, we were going to stick to the Little Beav lift at Beaver Mountain. It's only $15 for all day and has 3 runs. Plus the little rope tow thing where I intend to start them out!

Here's where I was thinking of going: www.maplegrovehotsprings.com.

I haven't been to Crystal, they are even closer!

How about the Heber Valley Railroad? Though that is kind of far (2+ hours from here). If it's really cool, then I can present that.

Iceaxe
01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Dang.... with all the restrictions imposed this is a really tough request.....

A visit to Antelope Island to see the Buffalo and a stop at the Hill Air Force Base Museum is a cheap and fun winter day.

Anyone who has not been to that museum should stop. It's free and they have a fantastic collection. If you are just into Museums you can combine the Hill Air Force Museum with the Odgen Train Station.

Anther combo platter is the Golden Spike Monument combined with the Spiral Jetty and/or the Odgen Train Station.

:rockon:

rockgremlin
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
All really good suggestions Shane! Would the Golden Spike monument be closed during the winter months though?

Shan
01-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Tatonka - great idea! I'd like to see the Golden Spike too.

Keep 'em coming!

Iceaxe
01-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Would the Golden Spike monument be closed during the winter months though?

Golden Spike is open during winter. But they do not bring the trains out so you are limited to "seeing the spot" along with looking at their small museum and watching a historical film that takes about 1/2 hour. If you are a history buff its a good trip.

The Ogden Train Station has three museums inside (train, gun and car) and the history of the Train Station and GS are tied together and you will understand it after your visit.

The Spiral Jetty is in roughly the same location as GS so it's easy to visit both.

There is a "Missile Display" just down the road from the turn off to GS (just follow the signs). I'd stop there also, it only takes about 30 minutes but is well worth the detour. They have a booster from the Space Shuttle along with a bunch of other interesting stuff.

It would actually take two full days to see everything I've mentioned.

Antelope Island and Buffalo
Golden Spike
Spiral Jetty
Ogden Train Station
Hill Air Force Museum

Depending on how you structure your trip and what you want to see it could take even longer.

Shhhiiiitttt..... I think the great state of Utah should start paying me for being such a great tour guide :lol8:

Iceaxe
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
PS: If you do Antelope Island you might also want to check out and tour the Faray Ranch.

:popcorn:

Shan
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
PS: If you do Antelope Island you might also want to check out and tour the Faray Ranch.

:popcorn:

What's this Faray Ranch? I googled it and didn't get much.

I like playing tour guide. My other sister boasted, "You don't have to do anything, just carry stuff! Shan takes care of everything else!"

Iceaxe
01-08-2007, 11:45 AM

"Fielding Garr Ranch" is the real name which might help googling.... but here is a link
http://www.utahoutdooractivities.com/fieldingranch.html

The Garr Ranch is the old homestead and headquarters of the habitants of Antelope Island. They give tours so you might want to call and check times and dates with Utah State Parks.

Some folks just call it "Garr Ranch", which was built in 1848 and lived in until 1981, making it the oldest continuously occupied Anglo-built home in Utah.

:five:

Shan
01-08-2007, 11:51 AM

"Fielding Garr Ranch" is the real name which might help googling.... but here is a link
http://www.utahoutdooractivities.com/fieldingranch.html

The Garr Ranch is the old homestead and headquarters of the habitants of Antelope Island. They give tours so you might want to call and check times and dates with Utah State Parks.

Some folks just call it "Garr Ranch", which was built in 1848 and lived in until 1981, making it the oldest continuously occupied Anglo-built home in Utah.

:five:

Nice! I enjoy pioneer and homesteading history.

Ever been to John Jarvie Ranch along the Green River?

Iceaxe
01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Ever been to John Jarvie Ranch along the Green River?

I've been to a lot of old homesteads but never Jarvie Ranch.

icthys
01-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Skip the Heber Valley Railroad until the kid is old enough to enjoy it, it's quite boring for an adult unless you enjoy site seeing at 5 mph.

Lava hot springs isn't to far from Logan.

DirkHammergate
01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
I took both my boys at 5 to 6 months old snowshoeing but if their not into it. Hmmm. You could kill them off completely if you took them ice fishing.

Scott Card
01-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Two sure fire winners. Chuck-a-rama or the Golden Corral. If in Chuck-a-rama, the little ones always go crazy with food and drink, stuff themselves silly and throw up in the restaurant. That is a colorful experience with the wide variety of fruit beverages they consume. (Been there, seen that)

Or for a more Pavlovian experience, you can watch human cattle react to the bell and run for bread at the Golden Corral.... that there is good entertainment. Big fellers knocking down the Jack Sprats of society.... :haha: Kind of like Costco at lunch time.

Mtnman1830
01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
you said that the munchkin didn't like to be bundled up, but what about Hardware Ranch?

Go and see some wildlife...

accadacca
01-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Or for a more Pavlovian experience, you can watch human cattle react to the bell and run for bread at the Golden Corral.... that there is good entertainment. Big fellers knocking down the Jack Sprats of society.... :haha: Kind of like Costco at lunch time.
:roll_lol: :roll_lol: :roll_lol:

Shan
01-09-2007, 11:30 AM
you said that the munchkin didn't like to be bundled up, but what about Hardware Ranch?

Go and see some wildlife...

I guess they could lay a fleece blanket over most of him. I don't know, he does hate his snow suit outfit. This will be interesting!

Hmm, we do have a Golden Corral here...