PDA

View Full Version : GET FIREFOX FREE...Please!

accadacca
01-05-2007, 09:52 AM
If you haven't tried Firefox for web browsing, give it a shot. Our forum is currently 62% Internet Explorer and 33% Firefox. I would like to bring the Firefox numbers up. I manage websites for a living and I can't say enough about how good Firefox is and you don't want to get me started on the pitfalls of Internet Explorer. I have placed a banner at the bottom of the site. You can click on the banner in this post or the one at the bottom of the page to install Firefox.

Read more below...

Enjoy a Better Web Experience

Firefox 2 delivers helpful new features to make your online experience more productive.

Stay Secure on the Web

Firefox continues to lead the way in online security, and now includes active protection from online scams to keep you safer.

Personalize Your Browser

Choose from over a thousand useful add-ons that enhance Firefox. It

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
There is no way in hell I would put an advertisement like that on my website without getting paid!!!

Very bad practice for a large number of reason.... I highly suggest you do not provide free advertising without getting something of value to the forum in return.... Business 101...

And.... what concern is it to you what web browser we use? So long as MS is shipping their browser bundled with their operating system you will always be forced to cater your website to MS.

Sombeech
01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I think the purpose is to cater more specifically to the FF crowd, making the site a little more customized towards them.

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I think the purpose is to cater more specifically to the FF crowd, making the site a little more customized towards them.

Ain't going to happen unless someone can unseat MS.

And in the mean time you are easily giving way several hundred dollars in advertising space. An ad like that on a site like this would be really easy to sell. An ad like that could easily pay for the cost of maintaining and running this site.

:five:

tanya
01-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I am not even speaking up on this one --- this time. I just have to see what people looking at my websites see. :roflol:

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Our forum is currently 62% Internet Explorer and 33% Firefox.

I'd also be curious to know where these numbers come from, how they are generated and why they are so skewed towards Firefox.

Firefox only controls 10% of the market. And I just checked the Climb-Utah stats since I'm guessing we attract the same type of clientele. Firefox accounts for 8.28% of the visitors.

In other words..... I don't believe your stats.

accadacca
01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
The point is not to overthrow Microsoft. :roflol: Were back to the open minded thing again. This site is optimized for both browsers. You have to optimize for both now days. Firefox has a legitimate market...although its the only competitor and certainly a minority. Its not that I hate IE. But just because Johnny is wearing Levi brand jeans and so is everyone else at school. Does that make Levis the best? Its not worth trying the Old Navy brand?

Perhaps it a generation thing? :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 03:41 PM
It has nothing to do with an open-mind.... Personally I could careless what browsers folks use. It doesn't effect me in the least. You guys can communicate with tin cans and a string for all I care.

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free..... :ne_nau:

Still doesn't address the fact that you are giving away free and valuable ad space. You getting any coin from FF for this blitz? If not.... I'd be happy to hook you up with a couple companies that will pay for that space.

:popcorn:

accadacca
01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Yup, you are correct about the 10%. I think the majority of the users on uutah.com are advanced. Which fits the bill for most Firefox users. Trust me folks, I don't run some small side project or myspace page, I do this for a living.

accadacca
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free..... :ne_nau:
Firefox is FREE! :cool2:

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I do this for a living.

Just think how much money you would make if you were any good at it :2thumbs:

:lol8:

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Firefox is FREE! :cool2:

Not what I meant.... for those of you who can't keep up....

HOW MUCH IS FIREFOX PAYING YOU FOR PLACING THAT AD?

if the answer is ZERO I might rethink my business stratagy....

accadacca
01-05-2007, 04:02 PM
This site is a hobby. Not a way to make income...its never been about that. And yeah I do make a pretty good living managing websites at my day job.

I am getting some money for the google ads on this site, along with the Firefox banner, although not much. I would prefer no advertising at all. Just trying to pay server fees, they are not FREE.

Sombeech
01-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I am getting some money for the google ads on this site, along with the Firefox banner

Cool. :cool2:

tanya
01-05-2007, 04:19 PM
This site is a hobby. Not a way to make income...its never been about that. And yeah I do make a pretty good living managing websites at my day job.

I am getting some money for the google ads on this site, along with the Firefox banner, although not much. I would prefer no advertising at all. Just trying to pay server fees, they are not FREE.

Here are my stats on my main site which gets tons of hits for a Zion site......... makes me have to stay where I am.
Google and MSIE love me :nod:

Most popular browser among site visitors: MSIE 6.0 (99.73%)
Visitors' most common screen resolution: 1024x768 (76.15%)
Top search engine used to access this page: www.google.com (99.96%)

But everyone else.. support Scott and Uutah.com

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 05:04 PM

Tanya.... Something is not right with your stats also.... you should be getting a number around 10% for FF and 75% for MS. I'm guessing whomever you are using to keep your stats is dumping all MS compliant browsers into your MS browser catagory....

Different sites might see some fluctuation in these 10% and 75% numbers.... but anything beyond a couple of percentage points and you have an outside force messing up your numbers... or your sample is to small to be a valuable representation....

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
This site is a hobby. Not a way to make income...

One last thought..... I could probably hook you up with a couple outdoor gear companies that would be happy to cover your operating expenses for an ad appropriate to what the site represents.

Just my own personal taste but I would prefer to see ads for climbing gear and camping supplies instead of "Screw hot chicks in your....." err.... I meant Firefox browsers and Hasselhoff posters.... YMMV...

tanya
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Tanya.... Something is not right with your stats also.... you should be getting a number around 10% for FF and 75% for MS. I'm guessing whomever you are using to keep your stats is dumping all MS compliant browsers into your MS browser catagory....

Different sites might see some fluctuation in these 10% and 75% numbers.... but anything beyond a couple of percentage points and you have an outside force messing up your numbers... or your sample is to small to be a valuable representation....

My server is Yahoo? Okay, so many Firefox users do like me. :five:

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 05:11 PM

It's not your server..... it's what program or who are you using to track your stat's..... in other words.... where did you pull this 99% number from?

Iceaxe
01-05-2007, 05:21 PM
And just for the record.....

I think the new MS iExplorer 7 is the biggest POS on the face of the planet.

tanya
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM

It's not your server..... it's what program or who are you using to track your stat's..... in other words.... where did you pull this 99% number from?

Yahoo does it? I have no idea what they use. I just click on stats and it gives me total stats or stats for each page.

Udink
01-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I'd also be curious to know where these numbers come from, how they are generated and why they are so skewed towards Firefox.

Firefox only controls 10% of the market. And I just checked the Climb-Utah stats since I'm guessing we attract the same type of clientele. Firefox accounts for 8.28% of the visitors.

In other words..... I don't believe your stats.
My website has nearly identical stats:

MSIE Core 4487 64.63%
Mozilla/Gecko Core 2272 32.72%

R
01-06-2007, 08:54 AM
FWIW, I use Firefox for about 80% of my browsing, followed by Netcape for a few things, Camino for a few things, and Safari, because it's my wife's browser and I sit at her computer from time to time.

Here are the stats for http://richardbarron.net/ compiled by my provider's control panel...

Joe Gardner
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm an analytics geek, these numbers are from my search engine visitors only, not from my active forum members, for the month of Jan:

Browsers:

IE: 63.83%
Firefox: 25.75%
Safari: 7.88%
Opera: .98%
Netscape, Mozilla, Camino, Konqueror make up an additional 1%.

Those numbers come from a rather large pool of users, 160k uniques, 78% first time visits, all in the last two and a half weeks. Pulled from Google Analytics.

KillEmAll
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Alright, just downloaded FireFox to see if it was faster than IE7 (since that really is the only thing I'm interested in). I was finally going to make the switch. First page to pull up of course was UUtah... didn't load right. tried again. Page is jumping up and down (must be really excited I downloaded it). Jumped over to ksl.com, exact same problems. Uninstalled FireFox and used IE7. Problem went away.

I'm running Vista so maybe the two aren't quite compatible yet. I've had 0 problems with IE7, been running it since beta. I think I'll be part of the less "advanced" crowd and stick with what works.

Alex
02-11-2007, 06:45 PM
The biggest edge FF has over IE(6 or 7), especially for our crowd is the in-line spell checker! For the forum junkies, the real time in-line spell checker makes a huge difference between sounding like a foreign taliban member or a Utaaaahn born hippie.

Another grudge I hold with IE7 is a none customizable menu bar and still very FULL of bugs. I think I find at least 3 new bugs a week with IE7 so far.

I was a total MS supporter prior to switching to FF2.0, now I am a believer.

Alex
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Alright, just downloaded FireFox to see if it was faster than IE7 (since that really is the only thing I'm interested in). I was finally going to make the switch. First page to pull up of course was UUtah... didn't load right. tried again. Page is jumping up and down (must be really excited I downloaded it). Jumped over to ksl.com, exact same problems. Uninstalled FireFox and used IE7. Problem went away.

I'm running Vista so maybe the two aren't quite compatible yet. I've had 0 problems with IE7, been running it since beta. I think I'll be part of the less "advanced" crowd and stick with what works.

Those are the sites I go to all the time, and they worked from the day I installed FF *shrugs*.

Plus you are running the two NEW MS products. That's your problem there :lol8:

You know the saying: "If you don't like the Utah weather, just wait an hour?" The same principal applies to Microsoft, if you don't like their software, wait 6 months for the service pack :bootyshake:

stefan
02-18-2007, 06:41 PM
i use camino, but occasionally firefox.

anyway, i posted this emoticon before, but this one is a better version of it, i think
it also illustrates the point of acca's thread

http://209.85.48.10/3021/195/emo/iluvfirefox.gif

DiscGo
02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
98% of the time, I use firefox and I love it!

asdf
02-19-2007, 04:59 AM
you love everything....

DiscGo
02-19-2007, 06:53 AM
you love everything....

That is probably true :haha:. I'm actually really particular so once I find what I like, I really get behind it.

KillEmAll
02-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Plus you are running the two NEW MS products. That's your problem there :lol8:

You know the saying: "If you don't like the Utah weather, just wait an hour?" The same principal applies to Microsoft, if you don't like their software, wait 6 months for the service pack :bootyshake:
Yeah, but those two programs work together flawlessly. It's when I run FF that I have problems. I don't have anything against FF and I'll give it another try if they come out with an update.

The biggest edge FF has over IE(6 or 7), especially for our crowd is the in-line spell checker! For the forum junkies, the real time in-line spell checker makes a huge difference between sounding like a foreign taliban member or a Utaaaahn born hippie.
My grammur's purfect is i don't nead a spell chicker thank u