PDA

View Full Version : Crews Attempt to Recover Body of Fallen Hiker

asdf
01-01-2007, 03:51 PM
http://media.bonnint.net/slc/62/6242/624210.jpg

Crews Attempt to Recover Body of Fallen Hiker
January 1st, 2007 @ 11:56am

(KSL News) -- Rescue crews are trying to retrieve the body of a man who fell on Cedar Mountain.

The man fell 400 to 500 feet off a snow ledge on Saturday.

Crews attempted to reach the body yesterday, but weather and a steep slope made it too difficult.

Officials brought in a new helicopter, hoping it will be able to get crews close enough to reach the body.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=768328

tanya
01-01-2007, 04:00 PM
http://media.bonnint.net/slc/62/6242/624210.jpg

Crews Attempt to Recover Body of Fallen Hiker
January 1st, 2007 @ 11:56am

(KSL News) -- Rescue crews are trying to retrieve the body of a man who fell on Cedar Mountain.

The man fell 400 to 500 feet off a snow ledge on Saturday.

Crews attempted to reach the body yesterday, but weather and a steep slope made it too difficult.

Officials brought in a new helicopter, hoping it will be able to get crews close enough to reach the body.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=768328

It's really a sad one. :ne_nau:

Yeah, one of my hiking partners, Dean Kurtz is out on that one. They failed the day before. Dean is the Vice Commander for the Kane County Search and Rescue. He was out hiking when they tried the first day. I hope they have better luck today. I hope it's okay posting this. I know I never can about Zion SAR until the news has posted ... but hey.. you just posted a news article so it must be okay. :popcorn:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/dean-kurtz.htm

tanya
01-02-2007, 06:31 AM
They are back. The victim was 800' below the rim. They ran out of daylight the first day and you seen in the new report. When they showed up the next day, this time with Dean with them, they set up a belay and readied their men to go down on their original system. When they reached him, they loaded him into a cargo net and the chopper was then able to short-haul him on a 70' line. - Info all from Dean and I guess its okay to post here?

asdf
01-02-2007, 07:23 AM
thanks for the infor. 800 rap... pretty big.

Scott Card
01-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Snow and slick rock is a VERY VERY bad combination, particularly if it is just an inch or two. Deep snow is not as dangerous, it is the little skiff to an inch or two that is so much more dangerous. Sad deal.

tanya
01-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Here is the info Dean just posted in the Zion Group

On the afternoon of December 30th, Kane County Dispatch received a call reporting an individual had fallen from a cliff at Strawberry Point, located south of Hwy. 14 on Cedar Mt. A deputy was immediately dispatched as SAR and a helicopter were being mobilized. Upon arrival, the deputy was unable to see the victim and was therefore unable to determine his condition. The helicopter arrived on scene just as night fell, and after several minutes located the victim approximately 800' below the point on a steep snow and ice covered slope. Visual inspection from the air revealed that the victim had not moved in the several hours since he came to rest and that he had sustained multiple, fatal injuries. For the safety of responders it was determined that recovery would not begin until the next morning.

Working on the belief that the victim could be accessed from below, deputies went to the scene during the morning of December 31st. After attempting to access the victim first by snowmobile, then by air, it was determined that a high-angle technical recovery would need to be made. Available members of the Kane SAR High-Angle Rescue Team were then dispatched to the Strawberry Valley airstrip where they met up with local residents who were providing transportation via snowmobile.

Strawberry Point juts out from the southern rim of Cedar Mt. for approximately 200'. It is devoid of trees, consists of a very loose, unstable conglomerate rock formation (much like that found in Bryce), is narrow, uneven, and at this time had patches of ice and snow covering it. The first rescue member at the scene was able to establish solid anchors out on the point, but there was not enough room to work a lowering and raising system. These anchors were thus converted to a redirect and the main line was anchored the 200' feet back on the rim to some large ponderosa pine trees. They began to lower a single rescuer with a litter, and as he was being lowered another call was made for a helicopter to extract the victim once he was moved to a safe area. Unfortunately, the day was waning and the helicopter service refused to do the recovery in the dark. The rescuer was hoisted back to the point and the recovery was postponed again for the next day.

On New Year's Day, more members of the rescue team arrived (including myself), thankfully with more gear. A second line was rigged on the point to act as a belay, while a 3:1 system was rigged for passing knots in the lines. While the rigging was being set, a Utah DPS helicopter arrived on scene and determined that they could maneuver to directly above the victim, and that they could short-haul him on a 70' line once he was packaged.

We put two rescuers on our line and sent them down. There was no direct route to the victim, and due to the snow and ice conditions, our rescuers descended a drainage that they had not intended to descend. Luckily, they came around a corner at about the 750' level and determined that they could in fact make the traverse down and over 50' to the victim and package him for removal. Once packaged, the pilot did an incredible job of placing his line directly in the hands of the rescuers and subsequently hoisting the victim off of the side of the mountain.

We then lowered the rescuers another 150' to where the slope decreased enough that they could safely come off rope and progress downhill to a safe landing zone so that the chopper pilot could extract them, too. In all, 2,000' of rope was committed to the recovery of this individual and the recovery took approximately 6 hours.

For one of our rescuers, it was the first time he had been lowered over an edge, and had previously only rappelled a maximum height of 100', but both of them did a great job. All of my team, as well as the deputies, the chopper crew, and the local residents did such an outstanding job to bring this person off of the mountain, I only wish that it could have been done sooner. I couldn't thank the residents enough for their selflessness in volunteering their snowmobiles, fuel, and expertise in getting my team and equipment to the scene of this unfortunate accident, nor the team itself for working so hard for so many hours in below freezing temperatures and wind, and for the professionalism that everyone displayed during the entire operation.

Dean

Udink
01-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow...more than 1/3-mile of rope was used. :eek2: That's pretty amazing, too bad it wasn't under different circumstances.

tanya
01-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Wow...more than 1/3-mile of rope was used. :eek2: That's pretty amazing, too bad it wasn't under different circumstances.

Yes, Kane County does not reuse their rope for rescue either. Seems odd to me?

Iceaxe
01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
:popcorn:

tanya
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM

I was SURE you would have a comment on the rope usage thing? :popcorn:

Iceaxe
01-02-2007, 02:39 PM

Nope... not really....

I don't find the cost of using new rope for a SAR to be a big deal. I mean gosh... after popping for the cost of a couple helo's what's an extra couple hundred bucks.

Really... by the time you pay a guy to uncoil, untangle and inspect all the rope used, and then to repackage for the next SAR I just don't see a cost savings. Usage like this is pretty common in the construction industry. You have to weight the cost per man hours against the cost of a new rope. I would probably be more surprised to find they were using old ropes.

tanya
01-02-2007, 02:50 PM

Nope... not really....

I don't find the cost of using new rope for a SAR to be a big deal. I mean gosh... after popping for the cost of a couple helo's what's an extra couple hundred bucks.

Really... by the time you pay a guy to uncoil, untangle and inspect all the rope used, and then to repackage for the next SAR I just don't see a cost savings. Usage like this is pretty common in the construction industry. You have to weight the cost per man hours against the cost of a new rope. I would probably be more surprised to find they were using old ropes.

But most on the team are not paid?

Iceaxe
01-02-2007, 02:54 PM
But most on the team are not paid?

Even a better reason to toss the rope.... who wants to uncoil, untangle and inspect all the rope used, and then to repackage for the next SAR when you can just get a new rope already paid for by the taxpayer?

I just don't see using used rope for a SAR to be a good thing. To many other items already on their plate when these guys respond. They don't need to be worring about their rope.

accadacca
01-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Prolly don't want some unpaid jokers checking your ropes either. Thats got to go against everything... :lol8:

tanya
01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Prolly don't want some unpaid jokers checking your ropes either. Thats got to go against everything... :lol8:

:roflol: That sounds like Kane County! It's the rest of the world I wonder about :lol8:

erial
01-03-2007, 08:36 PM
So, uh, what happens to this used rope? Do they ship it to Iraq?

tanya
01-03-2007, 08:41 PM
So, uh, what happens to this used rope? Do they ship it to Iraq?

Hi Jeff
:nod:
I wondered the same thing. I saw Mark tonight, who is also on the Kane County SAR Team, and should have asked him. We can always ask Dean.

erial
01-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Tanya, I saw your inquiry and Dean's response on the Zion board. Ropes have a (safety-oriented) short use life compared to other pieces of equipment. Bought my first backpacking gear in 1974 and didn't discard the sleeping bag until 2004. The tent finally met its match at Woodstock 2. The pack, an external, i ditched in '81. And the boots lasted 6 weeks.

tanya
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Perhaps, but one rescue or so seems so odd when we canyoneer or climb with the same rope over and over again. :popcorn:

derstuka
01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey Tanya, I might be without a clue...however, are you on the rescue team, or are you a park ranger? Just curious of your profession in Zion.

tanya
01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey Tanya, I might be without a clue...however, are you on the rescue team, or are you a park ranger? Just curious of your profession in Zion.

No, I own a business on the east side of Zion. My hiking partners just happen to be SAR types. Bo who I hike with every single weekend, almost without fail for over 3 years, has been on the Zion SAR team for about 10-11 years. Dean, who I hike with once in a while, is the Vice Commander for Kane County, the county I live in. I have worked in Zion in the past, but it was back when I was in college. Mark that I mentioned is Dean's best friend and he did a couple of hikes with us before.

This is my place...
http://www.zionnational-park.com (click on the lodging options to the left)
or here is the Best Western Reservation page
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/priceAvail.do?propertyCode=45027

History of the Thunderbird. My Grandparents homesteaded this area.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/hist.htm

http://book.bestwestern.com/props/45027/45027_pbimg8.jpg
One of our Best Western Rooms

derstuka
01-04-2007, 02:03 PM

No, I own a business on the east side of Zion. My hiking partners just happen to be SAR types. Bo who I hike with every single weekend, almost without fail for over 3 years, has been on the Zion SAR team for about 10-11 years. Dean, who I hike with once in a while, is the Vice Commander for Kane County, the county I live in. I have worked in Zion in the past, but it was back when I was in college. Mark that I mentioned is Dean's best friend and he did a couple of hikes with us before.

This is my place...

Wow, those are some nice rooms. I like the rustic country style. I have never stayed in Zion (well, camping once I did), usually outside of it a few miles because I am a miser when it comes to spending money on a room. I stayed in that peaceful little town Kanab last time I think, and that Junction (on the highway that goes to Kanab, and Bryce) place the time before.

Soooo, if I smile nicely and mention your pretty name, do I get a "nice guy" discount at your trendy hotel?? :naughty:

tanya
01-04-2007, 02:14 PM

This is my place...

Wow, those are some nice rooms. I like the rustic country style. I have never stayed in Zion (well, camping once I did), usually outside of it a few miles because I am a miser when it comes to spending money on a room. I stayed in that peaceful little town Kanab last time I think, and that Junction (on the highway that goes to Kanab, and Bryce) place the time before.

Soooo, if I smile nicely and mention your pretty name, do I get a "nice guy" discount at your trendy hotel?? :naughty:

That might work :lol8: --- that Junction you stayed at was probably it? Junction of Highway 9 & 89. We are redoing the rooms, so they have not looked like that for too long. I love how they turned out! Kanab is 17 miles from me. I guess you would have wanted a discount to get in the park if I worked there. :haha:

derstuka
01-04-2007, 03:06 PM
That might work :lol8: --- that Junction you stayed at was probably it? Junction of Highway 9 & 89. We are redoing the rooms, so they have not looked like that for too long. I love how they turned out! Kanab is 17 miles from me. I guess you would have wanted a discount to get in the park if I worked there. :haha:

Actually, I remember that Best Western, I think I ate dinner there. We stayed at the place across the street from it next to the small stream. Forgot the name of it, some older couple owned it then.

Nawww, I don't need a discount to get the park, I always have an annual pass.

Back on the rope subject, I know nothing about rappelling, or rock climbing, but it does seem like a big waste to just throw away a rope after one use. Especialy like your point Tanya, you all use your ropes many many times, over and over. Throwing them right away would be as efficient as Uncle Sam is with our tax dollars. My two cents...

tanya
01-04-2007, 07:07 PM

Actually, I remember that Best Western, I think I ate dinner there. We stayed at the place across the street from it next to the small stream. Forgot the name of it, some older couple owned it then.

Nawww, I don't need a discount to get the park, I always have an annual pass.

Back on the rope subject, I know nothing about rappelling, or rock climbing, but it does seem like a big waste to just throw away a rope after one use. Especialy like your point Tanya, you all use your ropes many many times, over and over. Throwing them right away would be as efficient as Uncle Sam is with our tax dollars. My two cents...

Golden Hills

Those annual passes are $80 bucks now! I was just told that regulation (cannot remember what regulation it was called) :mrgreen: is why they have to retire a rope after it is used for rescue in some places.

tanya
01-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I know Jeff is in the Zion group, but for those of you interested in this that are not, here is what Bo and Dean posted.

Bo: The local St. George Fire Dept. and the Washington County Sherrifs
SAR team operates the same way. I think the Fire Department is bound
by NFPA regulations and I believe the county follows suit.

I think it is more of a liability issue versus whether the rope is
damaged or not?

It never is wrong to use fresh rope on any vertical endeavour,
however ropes are an incredibly durable piece of equipment. Usually
damage to a rope becomes apparent in a variety of ways. Cut sheath or
fraying fibres in the sheath, flat feeling or soft spots in the rope.
Generally all SAR Teams keep a log of a rope and its time in use and
exact usage. If there is a question about using a rope for a higher
SSSF (Staitc System Safety Factor) application, a newer, or rope with
a less intense history can be used in the application.

Better safe than sorry, and to have too much rope is better than not
having enough! :-)

Dean: Bo pretty much hit it on the head for us. The County adopted NFPA before I came along and it has been hard to change the method of thinking. Believe it or not, in my cache I still have a 600', unused piece of 5/8" rope, because that was the standard (the bag must weigh close to 80lbs). It's still new, because I refuse to carry it anywhere.

Since I've been involved, we have more or less come up with a compromise between NFPA and MRA standards, which is how I managed to get skinnier ropes for our wilderness rescue.

The liability is the key as to why they are retired or replaced after each use. The Sheriff decided it was easier to just buy new ropes than it is to rely on an opinion about the ropes integrity.

We do inspect every rope after each use, but they are still relegated to training or as a back-up in case of extraordinary need. In the case of this recovery, I have to have those ropes available to me because we have very little new left, so if there is a call it is very likely that we will dig into those.

And like Bo said, better to have too much than too little.

derstuka
01-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I was just told that regulation (cannot remember what regulation it was called) :mrgreen: is why they have to retire a rope after it is used for rescue in some places[/color].

Hey Tanya,

Can you find out if you can sign a waiver to get the junk ropes, or find the dumpster that they throw them in? haha! I bet they cut them into pieces.

tanya
01-05-2007, 07:57 AM
I was just told that regulation (cannot remember what regulation it was called) :mrgreen: is why they have to retire a rope after it is used for rescue in some places[/color].

Hey Tanya,

Can you find out if you can sign a waiver to get the junk ropes, or find the dumpster that they throw them in? haha! I bet they cut them into pieces.

I know Dean Well. What he says, is what is. :nod: