PDA

View Full Version : What is so great about Canyoneering?

tanya
12-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Why are we attracted to sliding down some dark, slimey, cold slit in the earth????

Why do we take photos of slots? What is so pretty about it anyway?

Iceaxe
12-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I do it for the chicks and beer :2thumbs:

tanya
12-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I do it for the chicks and beer :2thumbs:

No way. :lol8: Think of just about every sport there is and there would be more 'chicks' doing it :roflol:

The insane part fits though :mrgreen:

Scott P
12-28-2006, 08:41 AM
I do it for the exploring in a pretty area.

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I go into canyons for so many reasons. The beauty, the adventure, the excitement, to get away from my job, to stay active and challenge my self, to face my fear of heights, to learn techniques, to discover new areas of the state that I did not know know about (discover meaning I saw it for my first time). Nothing motivates me to go to the gym like the thought of getting stuck in a canyon. :blahblah: I really do try to stay healthy to be able to canyoneer for many years to come. My wife thinks I go to the gym for the better life insurance rates. :lol8:

tanya
12-28-2006, 09:23 AM

Are slot canyons really pretty though?

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 09:27 AM

Are slot canyons really pretty though?

:roflol: That's a good one. Ya that ugly double arch chamber in Pine Creek, that ugly last rap of the technical section in Kolob, the Golden Cathedral rap in Neon. Some of the ugliest places in the state. :roflol:

tanya
12-28-2006, 09:28 AM
I go into canyons for so many reasons. The beauty, the adventure, the excitement, to get away from my job, to stay active and challenge my self, to face my fear of heights, to learn techniques, to discover new areas of the state that I did not know know about (discover meaning I saw it for my first time). Nothing motivates me to go to the gym like the thought of getting stuck in a canyon. :blahblah: I really do try to stay healthy to be able to canyoneer for many years to come. My wife thinks I go to the gym for the better life insurance rates. :lol8:

I don't think I could do it if I had a fear of heights! The start of the rapell..hanging on the edge by just a skinny little rope that hopefully, you did not have a brain dead moment, and tied right. :mrgreen: I love the discovery part! That is some good gym motivation :lol8:

Just don't tell her its because all the hot babes are at the gym. :ne_nau:

So you are the slide down the canyons for fun type I assume. :nod:

rockgremlin
12-28-2006, 09:31 AM

My thoughts exactly! :2thumbs:

tanya
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM

My thoughts exactly! :2thumbs:

You are afraid of heights too?

rockgremlin
12-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, my thoughts exactly.....almost. I do get a little nervous just going over the lip on the big rappels, but I don't really have a fear of heights.

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 09:45 AM
I don't think I could do it if I had a fear of heights! The start of the rapell..hanging on the edge by just a skinny little rope that hopefully, you did not have a brain dead moment, and tied right. :mrgreen: I love the discovery part! That is some good gym motivation :lol8:

My fear of heights is a little weird. It is conditional. Conditional on whether I am tied in or not. I am not the type who walks up to a cliff edge and takes a peak. Clip me in and I am good and yes I pay very close attention to knots, webbing, etc.

As for the gym, I avoid the meat market hours. I usually go about lunch time when it is just me and the other old men and a few strutters. :stud:

And yes, I am in it for the fun. Sad part is I haven't been fishing but one time since I took up this canyoneering stuff. My wife thought it was going to be a passing fancy. Boy was she wrong. She just rolls her eyes now when I get so excited that Santa left a blunt tip titanium scuba sheath knife in my stocking. I will clip that to my leg harness and I will be ready to cut my arm off, cut the rope, or cut my apple in my pack at any time. It's all good. :nod:

accadacca
12-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I am by no means a canyoneer. However, I have been through a few slot canyons. I would say the biggest attractors for me are:

1 - The challenge that some canyons bring. It is very fulfilling to tackle these obstacles and come out on the other side with both arms. :2thumbs: :lol8:

2- The awesome rock formations made by the earth. When your in a slot canyon you get an intimate experience with these formations. IMO, its quite a bit different than other outdoor sports. You are constantly surrounded by these formations and its like no other place on earth. :popcorn:

tanya
12-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Well, my thoughts exactly.....almost. I do get a little nervous just going over the lip on the big rappels, but I don't really have a fear of heights.

Same here... but since I rarely ever think :mrgreen: about ANYTHING I do.... mostly the fear escapes me. :lol8:

Do you guys mind water POUNDING on your head while rapelling? I hate it! Can't breath or see! That is what scares me.

tanya
12-28-2006, 09:49 AM
My fear of heights is a little weird. It is conditional. Conditional on whether I am tied in or not.

A man tied up!!!!! Should be fun, but it scares most of you. :mrgreen:

tanya
12-28-2006, 09:53 AM
I am by no means a canyoneer. However, I have been through a few slot canyons. I would say the biggest attractors for me are:

1 - The challenge that some canyons bring. It is very fulfilling to tackle these obstacles and come out on the other side with both arms. :2thumbs: :lol8:

2- The awesome rock formations made by the earth. When your in a slot canyon you get an intimate experience with these formations. IMO, its quite a bit different than other outdoor sports. You are constantly surrounded by these formations and its like no other place on earth. :popcorn:

So you think the slots are pretty? I wonder if people would have thought that 50 years ago?

tanya
12-28-2006, 09:56 AM

My fear of heights is a little weird. It is conditional. Conditional on whether I am tied in or not. I am not the type who walks up to a cliff edge and takes a peak. Clip me in and I am good and yes I pay very close attention to knots, webbing, etc.

As for the gym, I avoid the meat market hours. I usually go about lunch time when it is just me and the other old men and a few strutters. :stud:

And yes, I am in it for the fun. Sad part is I haven't been fishing but one time since I took up this canyoneering stuff. My wife thought it was going to be a passing fancy. Boy was she wrong. She just rolls her eyes now when I get so excited that Santa left a blunt tip titanium scuba sheath knife in my stocking. I will clip that to my leg harness and I will be ready to cut my arm off, cut the rope, or cut my apple in my pack at any time. It's all good. :nod:

Well we women want men just getting excited about us..... not sharp objects. :haha:

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Do you guys mind water POUNDING on your head while rapelling? I hate it! Can't breath or see! That is what scares me.

Now that is just good fun. :2thumbs: Ever since I did Kolob a few years ago and a flowing Pine Creek a couple of months ago, I am all for wet canyons with a flow. My helmet does the trick in easing the pounding. My helmet is solid with only a couple of small holes on the side so the water just bounces off. Maybe I have not had enough water to feel like I couldn't breath. Ya gotta just tip your head at the right angle and you can usually breath just fine. Now seeing is impossible unless you want to pack in some goggles, which is not unheard of. Some pack them in to dive for gear at the bottom of pot holes. Apparently there used to be a treasure trove in the pool below the big wall rap in Mystery before it filled in that is. I know my brother had a bunch of stuff fall out of his pack in some pot hole in Heaps.

accadacca
12-28-2006, 10:03 AM
So you think the slots are pretty? I wonder if people would have thought that 50 years ago?
I never used the word "pretty" no I don't think I did. :lol8: Seriously though, maybe the word is different or unique. Thats what make them so intriguing and photogenic.

tanya
12-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Now that is just good fun. :2thumbs: Ever since I did Kolob a few years ago and a flowing Pine Creek a couple of months ago, I am all for wet canyons with a flow. My helmet does the trick in easing the pounding. My helmet is solid with only a couple of small holes on the side so the water just bounces off. Maybe I have not had enough water to feel like I couldn't breath. Ya gotta just tip your head at the right angle and you can usually breath just fine. Now seeing is impossible unless you want to pack in some goggles, which is not unheard of. Some pack them in to dive for gear at the bottom of pot holes. Apparently there used to be a treasure trove in the pool below the big wall rap in Mystery before it filled in that is. I know my brother had a bunch of stuff fall out of his pack in some pot hole in Heaps.

Kolob is where I did it too.... Started at 5cfs or so then we were running for what looked like a flash flood..... That was so much fun!!!! :2thumbs: Soliod helmet.... I will see if mine is like that.. if not I am getting a new one. I can be quite tippy! I will try that too! I dont even wear a helmet and you want me in goggles! Okay :2thumbs: I might. :mrgreen: I don't wear a helmet unless it's a place with loose rock though. Next time I am doing flowing water I will! My long hair did not make seeing or breathing any easier!

Kolob for those that have not been:

Imagine going down this.... :eek2: All you water park guys would have a ball! :lol8:
http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/canyoneer-kco_jpg.jpg

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/canyoneer-kcn_jpg.jpg

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/canyoneer-kcu_jpg.jpg

tanya
12-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I never used the word "pretty" no I don't think I did. :lol8: Seriously though, maybe the word is different or unique. Thats what make them so intriguing and photogenic.

Perhaps it is just because before Shane's :cold: time there were few slot canyon photos out there.

Yeah... not pretty :Ahnuld: :lol8:

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
[quote="tanya"]

[color=white] I don't wear a helmet unless it's a place with loose rock though. Next time I am doing flowing water I will!

Ummmm does the Emperor know and approve of this sporadic helmet usage? :crazycobasa: :haha: A helmet really helps with flowing water to prevent brain freeze and a nasty headache.

Great pics. We only had about half that flow when we were in Kolob. Below is the Great White Dome aka my helmet. Great for flowing water beating on the head.

tanya
12-28-2006, 12:04 PM
[quote=tanya]

[color=white] I don't wear a helmet unless it's a place with loose rock though. Next time I am doing flowing water I will!

Ummmm does the Emperor know and approve of this sporadic helmet usage? :crazycobasa: :haha: A helmet really helps with flowing water to prevent brain freeze and a nasty headache.

Great pics. We only had about half that flow when we were in Kolob. Below is the Great White Dome aka my helmet. Great for flowing water beating on the head.

Your Emperor! Not mine! :haha: I prefer the dark side. Yeah... I am okay with light flow. Its that crazy stuff that got to me. :mrgreen:

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
[quote=tanya]

Your Emperor! Not mine! :haha: I prefer the dark side. Yeah... I am okay with light flow. Its that crazy stuff that got to me. :mrgreen:

So the emperor moves into town and there is already a squabble? :lol8: Actually I have my toe in both ponds, the dark side pond and the pond of light and truth. I think that is why no one likes me or is it 'cause I never bring beer? Oh well, I am cooking for the emperor tomorrow night. Anything you want me to tell the Emperor when I see him at Freeze Fest? :popcorn:

tanya
12-28-2006, 12:40 PM
[quote=tanya]

Heaps is crazy!!!! I have not done that one yet! We are talking about doing it next summer... maybe? If we do.. I guess I should wear a helmet? I want to go when its really hot out yet not rainy.... is there such a time :haha: And its full!

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 12:49 PM
[quote=tanya]

Heaps is crazy!!!! I have not done that one yet! We are talking about doing it next summer... maybe? If we do.. I guess I should wear a helmet? I want to go when its really hot out yet not rainy.... is there such a time :haha: And its full!

Let me see, hot weather, full conditions, not rainy. There is such a time and you live just close enough to do Heaps on a moments notice when that time occurs. I envy how close you are to canyoneering mecca. I don't think I would get any work done though. Heaps shot to the top of my list of favorites the second I touched down at the Emerald Pools. What a blast. I am already trying to find time to do it again this spring. You must do Heaps. I wouldn't do it as late in the season as I did any time soon. Packs were very heavy with all the cold weather sleeping gear.

tanya
12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Let me see, hot weather, full conditions, not rainy. There is such a time and you live just close enough to do Heaps on a moments notice when that time occurs. I envy how close you are to canyoneering mecca. I don't think I would get any work done though. Heaps shot to the top of my list of favorites the second I touched down at the Emerald Pools. What a blast. I am already trying to find time to do it again this spring. You must do Heaps. I wouldn't do it as late in the season as I did any time soon. Packs were very heavy with all the cold weather sleeping gear.

It is perfect! You just have to set aside every weekend to do them. :popcorn:

I saw some stats posted in Ram's group the other day.... it said something like there are only about 2 dozen people a year get permits for Heaps. Did I read that right? I know its a tough canyon, but that seems like so few. My partner has done Heaps a dozen times, but his favorite is Kolob Canyon. Did you do it as a 2 day thing? Bo does the one day through Heaps, but I'm not sure I could move that fast :mrgreen: It would sure be nice not to lug sleeping gear in though.

Scott Card
12-28-2006, 01:10 PM
It is perfect! You just have to set aside every weekend to do them. :popcorn:

I saw some stats posted in Ram's group the other day.... it said something like there are only about 2 dozen people a year get permits for Heaps. Did I read that right? I know its a tough canyon, but that seems like so few. My partner has done Heaps a dozen times, but his favorite is Kolob Canyon. Did you do it as a 2 day thing? Bo does the one day through Heaps, but I'm not sure I could move that fast :mrgreen: It would sure be nice not to lug sleeping gear in though.

I would believe it. Not too many hard core folks out there. It took my group several years and canyons before we felt prepared for Heaps. I am glad we didn't just jump into that canyon without having done Kolob and Imlay and practiced techniques other places in an effort to go through Heaps. I am confident that Bo could breeze you through any canyon though. We had no one with us who had done Heaps before. Heaps is by far the most difficult canyon I have done in Zion. Difficult as to length, duration in the water and the physical nature of the canyon in and out of water, down climb, lug pack over lip, down climb into water swim....etc. repeated many times. Yes, with the short days in late October, we did it as a two day thing. Next time we bust it out in a day. We also did the full meal deal with Kolob. We did the technical part in the afternoon of a late September day and then spent the night (intentionally) in Kolob Canyon and then went out the narrows the next day. Day two was a long hard day doing almost all of Kolob Canyon and a large chunk of the narrows in one day. I am still not sure what I prefer, doing Kolob and the narrows or busting up that miserable MIA exit.

Iceaxe
12-28-2006, 01:17 PM
I saw some stats posted in Ram's group the other day.... it said something like there are only about 2 dozen people a year get permits for Heaps.

I don't know who or where this statistic came from.... but it is WRONG. I know there were Heaps permits issued for 54 user days in 2001. I'm guessing Heaps trips have doubled. tripled or maybe Quadrupled since 2001. Canyoneering has exploded in popularity the past few years and Heaps is near the top of many tick-lists.

For a comparison, there were 1787 Pine Creek permits issued for user days in 2001, by 2004 this number had increased to 2753 user days.

:popcorn:

tanya
12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
I would believe it. Not too many hard core folks out there. It took my group several years and canyons before we felt prepared for Heaps. I am glad we didn't just jump into that canyon without having done Kolob and Imlay and practiced techniques other places in an effort to go through Heaps. I am confident that Bo could breeze you through any canyon though. We had no one with us who had done Heaps before. Heaps is by far the most difficult canyon I have done in Zion. Difficult as to length, duration in the water and the physical nature of the canyon in and out of water, down climb, lug pack over lip, down climb into water swim....etc. repeated many times. Yes, with the short days in late October, we did it as a two day thing. Next time we bust it out in a day. We also did the full meal deal with Kolob. We did the technical part in the afternoon of a late September day and then spent the night (intentionally) in Kolob Canyon and then went out the narrows the next day. Day two was a long hard day doing almost all of Kolob Canyon and a large chunk of the narrows in one day. I am still not sure what I prefer, doing Kolob and the narrows or busting up that miserable MIA exit.

We headed out MIA about a half mile after running into a Mountain Lion in the canyon. I don't think I would have wanted to spend the night!!!! But then I am brain dead to most things. I only think about them later if at all, but that cat was mighty close! It made that MIA go quickly as we ran our rears out of there. :lol8: I think it was more afraid of us though.

I would like to do that whole thing and come out the Zion Narrows, but I do prefer day trips when possible.

The problem is not that I am so horribly slow, (not compared to Bo --- I am slow compared to him!) its my camera. :mrgreen: When Bo makes me put it away (storms) :ne_nau: we make pretty good speed. I can take a few hours to do Weeping Rock with that thing in hand. :haha:

In Kolob we were running since it was getting muddy and water was flowing in from the sides. Lightening and thunder over head.. rain... we were going so fast at the end. This one part --- I had to jump (where is the FEAR icon!!!!) I did not want to jump so I tried to climb down and fell in the water... no time for ropes. I was a blast :lol8: I LOVE those types of trips (when they are over!) :haha:

Do you have photos! I want to see!

tanya
12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I saw some stats posted in Ram's group the other day.... it said something like there are only about 2 dozen people a year get permits for Heaps.

I don't know who or where this statistic came from.... but it is WRONG. I know there were Heaps permits issued for 54 user days in 2001. I'm guessing Heaps trips have doubled. tripled or maybe Quadrupled since 2001. Canyoneering has exploded in popularity the past few years and Heaps is near the top of many tick-lists.

For a comparison, there were 1787 Pine Creek permits issued for user days in 2001, by 2004 this number had increased to 2753 user days.

Someone posted it over in Ram's World. I cannot remember who? It was not very long ago, but they posted the permits for several years from Heaps.

tanya
12-28-2006, 02:34 PM

Maybe everyone that will brave Heaps has already done it. :popcorn: :mrgreen:

Iceaxe
12-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Someone posted it over in Ram's World. I cannot remember who? It was not very long ago, but they posted the permits for several years from Heaps.

Permits issued and users are two different things.....

I'm guessing the average Heaps permit contains 4 or 5 canyoneers on one permit. So two dozen permits issued would likely mean over 100 actual canyoneers.

:deadhorse:

Iceaxe
12-28-2006, 03:03 PM
in Ram's World.

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Forgot to tell ya..... that's damn funny....

tanya
12-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Permits issued and users are two different things.....

I'm guessing the average Heaps permit contains 4 or 5 canyoneers on one permit. So two dozen permits issued would likely mean over 100 actual canyoneers.

:deadhorse:

I guess groups that big go through Heaps? I was thinking smaller groups for that one?

Iceaxe
12-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I guess groups that big go through Heaps? I was thinking smaller groups for that one?

Judging from most Zion groups I see 4 is considered small.... Also, for Heaps most groups are packing a minimum of 600' of rope so you need a lot of bodies. For a group of four that is about 10 pounds each just in rope.

tanya
12-28-2006, 04:05 PM

Judging from most Zion groups I see 4 is considered small.... Also, for Heaps most groups are packing a minimum of 600' of rope so you need a lot of bodies. For a group of four that is about 10 pounds each just in rope.

Dang! I am taking 4 big men with me!