PDA

View Full Version : Skiing Up Millcreek

Heather
12-26-2006, 11:04 AM
So Joe and I took our back country skis out for the 4th time last night. I have to say that was the best Xmas present of the day! It was warm, beautiful and serene. A much needed breath of fresh air after all the hustle and bustle of the holidays.

Being the beginners that we are, we haven't made it very far up any trails or too long of distances. Our goal last night was to make it to the Pipeline Trail/Mount Aire Trailhead which is about 1 3/4-2 miles up. This is quite a challenge if you're still figuring out how to use your skis!

I really flew this time around. It seems as though my body is finally catching on to the feel of my feet in the skis. I used to poles to help push me along and we were making pretty good time. We had to stop a few times to catch our breath, and we even laid down in the snow to take a look at the stars and the light polluted sky in its rusty haze above us. When I began to feel the sweat freezing on my skin I decided it was time to move on.

It was only about 1/4 mile left, and we finally made it to our goal! The last few hundred feet were the most challenging because of how steep and icy the incline was. I felt as though I was summiting a large mountain peak by the time we reached the trailhead!

We went on a few more hundred feet past and then we decided to turn around. And that's where the real fun began. I went down a bit slowly at first, snowplowing my way. My legs were wobbly and I was a little nervous at the speed I gained so rapidly. I tried to turn right to a stop, but I ended up falling. It turned out to be my only fall of the night!

I pushed myself up with strong arms and legs and the determination to get down the hill. I found myself with new balance and I practiced a few turns to test my confidence. Once I was secure with myself, I straightened my skis and let myself go.

Such a feeling of exhilerance and wild abandon ensued! The wind kissed my face and hair and the slick snow beneath me pushed me forward. I laughed and cried out in my excitement and joy. I heard Joe laughing as he came up beside me.

The rush of the descent didn't leave me until well after we had arrived at home. Adrenaline still flushed through my veins on the drive home. My heart still skips a beat every time I think of that fly down the slope. Yeah, I think I can get into this. :nod:

accadacca
12-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Nice write up. Sounds like a great way to stay in shape in the winter. My treadmill gets really old. I would really like to try some snowshoeing this year. Skis would be better and I would enjoy the downhill payoff too. But I am usually riding the chair when I have the sticks on. :2thumbs:

Heather
12-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks!

Yes, it is a total body workout when you're pushing the poles! Quite rewarding too! Snowshoeing is totally awesome, too. I just got into that one last year, but we went several times. It is SO fun!

I've tried the treadmill thing before. BO-ring! I can't stand that type of exercise. This type of stuff is much more fulfilling and it also helps to keep the dreaded SAD away!

We should plan for a UUtah Snowshoe hike! They are super cheap to rent if you don't have them already! :)

marc olivares
12-26-2006, 11:40 AM
count me in for the snowshoe jaunt, my wife and i are always looking for folks to shoe w/ :2thumbs:

accadacca
12-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Yup, I'd be up for that too. I would have to dig out some snowshoes.

Heather
12-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Awesome! Maybe sometime in Jan. or Feb would be good. :)