PDA

View Full Version : Ho, Ho, Ho...New Feature: <- Image Slideshow ->

accadacca
12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
A gift from uutah.com - Happy Holidays

We now have a place to showcase larger images. Now the image bar has been great! But lets face it, the images are damn small and we have some very talented photographer's in this group. Also some people like myself who are in the right place at the right time on occasions. :lol8: I have been thinking about adding something like this to our homepage for some time. So, I sacrificed one night until about 3:30 AM and there ya go.

The Scoop

Go to www.uutah.com (our homepage) and you will see a photo slideshow. If you all bookmark www.uutah.com then you'll get a new image every time you enter the site. You can also refresh the homepage to scan through all the photos, similar to the image bar. Now I randomly grabbed 10 images to start with and we'll let Sombeech run wild with this to collect more. We need to load it up, so post your finest here! :2thumbs:

tanya
12-25-2006, 06:23 AM
A gift from uutah.com - Happy Holidays

We now have a place to showcase larger images. Now the image bar has been great! But lets face it, the images are damn small and we have some very talented photographer's in this group. Also some people like myself who are in the right place at the right time on occasions. :lol8: I have been thinking about adding something like this to our homepage for some time. So, I sacrificed one night until about 3:30 AM and there ya go.

The Scoop

Go to www.uutah.com (our homepage) and you will see a photo slideshow. If you all bookmark www.uutah.com then you'll get a new image every time you enter the site. You can also refresh the homepage to scan through all the photos, similar to the image bar. Now I randomly grabbed 10 images to start with and we'll let Sombeech run wild with this to collect more. We need to load it up, so post your finest here! :2thumbs:

We can all see your baby... the one you lust after... the one you want.... in of course you choice of the top 10 .. there it is. :lol8:

http://www.uutah.com/forum/front_photos/B/3.jpg

accadacca
12-25-2006, 11:17 AM
We can all see your baby... the one you lust after... the one you want.... in of course you choice of the top 10 .. there it is. :lol8:
Yup, I had to put my bike in there and yeah that selection was random. :lol8: That picture was actually taken down south on the burr trail this summer. I am always lusting after the next bike that I want to add to the stable. Oh and here it is...I just sat on one at the beemer shop last weekend. :naughty:

R 1200 RT

http://www.motos-knuesel.ch/images/bmw_r1200rt/r1200rt_1.jpg

Sombeech
12-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Very cool. It was a nice surprise when I clicked my bookmark. :2thumbs:

I've created the "request" thread here.
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4491

:cool2:

Iceaxe
12-26-2006, 07:57 AM
WTF!!!

oK..... who screwed up the site navigation???

When I click on the UUtah logo at the top of the page it takes me to some
crappy slide show..... this blows!!!

I use the logo at the top to navigate the forum and now I have to double
click in addition to wait for some dumbass photo to load that I didn't
really want to see in the first place....

THIS IS NOT A GOOD ADDITION!!!

More whistles and bells are not always better.

Ice

tanya
12-26-2006, 08:39 AM
WTF!!!

oK..... who screwed up the site navigation???

When I click on the UUtah logo at the top of the page it takes me to some
crappy slide show..... this blows!!!

I use the logo at the top to navigate the forum and now I have to double
click in addition to wait for some dumbass photo to load that I didn't
really want to see in the first place....

THIS IS NOT A GOOD ADDITION!!!

More whistles and bells are not always better.

Ice

I agree with Shane. I hate it.

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 08:57 AM
I agree with Shane. I hate it.

Is it because you're hitting the top logo to get back to the main screen? If so, there's probably something that could be done about that link.

It's meant to be an "entry" page only.

Check this site out. It works very well for them:
http://www.advrider.com/

tanya
12-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Still hate it. I hate entry pages. People want to get where they are going with the least clicks.

You are just a video addict.. bet you like flash entries too :lol8:

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 09:01 AM
bet you like flash entries too :lol8:

:slobber: mmm, flash

Iceaxe
12-26-2006, 09:14 AM
I like to hit the top logo to clean up (reload) the forum on my computer....

The pics are nice, but folks DO NOT want to wade through crap to get to the goodies.... I also hate webpages that make me wade through an entrance page.... I usually click out of that site before getting past the wistles & bells...

This new feature BLOWS.... dump it now... dump it fast... don't try and fix it.... its a POS and will always be a POS.

:puke8:

rockgremlin
12-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Maybe run a poll to see how many folks want it versus how many don't?

Iceaxe
12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I got a better idea.... just dump it!

This type of thing does not improve viewers and participatuion.... it causes a lose....

I don't have all frickin' day to click through this trash....

:popcorn:

tanya
12-26-2006, 09:52 AM
I got a better idea.... just dump it!

This type of thing does not improve viewers and participatuion.... it causes a lose....

I don't have all frickin' day to click through this trash....

When I started making websites I made the flashy stuff, intro pages, etc... but I quickly learned from the hits my different sites got and from what I read about ----- "what a good site is" ----- that the majority of people hate that. They want simple, easy to load stuff. I cannot agree stronger with Shane. But hey.. its not my site. I can see a kids or teen site having flashy stuff, but over age 20 I think it needs to go.

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 10:05 AM
OK, let's hear it. Here's the poll.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4496

Iceaxe
12-26-2006, 10:13 AM
FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much... I HATE wading through crap... I think you will find the same feeling in others. As I said, it's not going to increase posts, but it might cause a decrease....

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupied)

:rockon:

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 10:29 AM
FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much...

Ahh, c'mon man. I'm sure there's something we can do to get around this. I think your main issue is the http://uutah.com/forum/templates/c3s/images/c3s_logo.jpg top logo bringing you back to that intro page.

If clicking that wouldn't take you there, you'd only see that intro page once (unless you clicked directly on a thread response). Is that the main issue?

I'm seeing it as a "babe of the day" kinda thing.

accadacca
12-26-2006, 10:30 AM
This is unbelievable...

There is a link at the top left and bottom left of every page that says "Utah Outdoor Forum : Forum Index" which takes you to the same place. It is just above and below the frame. It is much easier to use as well. You don't have to scroll all the way to the top each time. The majority of our users click this link to go back home. Get in the habit of using this and you'll be fine. Screen shots attached...

tanya
12-26-2006, 10:31 AM
FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much... I HATE wading through crap... I think you will find the same feeling in others. As I said, it's not going to increase posts, but it might cause a decrease....

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupied)

:rockon:

One more issue..... Everyone lives and dies with Google if you are on the net. Everything else is so little it matters little. If you have 2 entry pages, your page rank will be diluted and thus you will fall in the rankings. Some will link to one and other to the other page.

And! If Shane quits posting the ladies will go :lol8:

tanya
12-26-2006, 10:33 AM
FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much...

Ahh, c'mon man. I'm sure there's something we can do to get around this. I think your main issue is the http://uutah.com/forum/templates/c3s/images/c3s_logo.jpg top logo bringing you back to that intro page.

If clicking that wouldn't take you there, you'd only see that intro page once (unless you clicked directly on a thread response). Is that the main issue?

I'm seeing it as a "babe of the day" kinda thing.

Not even? Most people do hate an entry page. They want to find what they are looking for.

asdf
12-26-2006, 10:38 AM
I dont mind the new page but what about bringing on old one back and just adding a link near the image bar for the "random picutre page".

Iceaxe
12-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Why keep a dog and pony show that even part of your users hate with a passion?

And yes... I know about the little buttons and all.... Your entrance page is nothing but a Pain in the ASS!

accadacca
12-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I switched the logo back to "forum index". Everybody chill we are still breathing.

The ONLY time you will see the slide show is if you enter www.uutah.com direct. All of our current users have www.uutah.com/forum bookmarked. So they are not even seeing this page. A new user will only see it ONCE and will most likely bookmark www.uutah.com/forum and if they don't they will only get the intro ONCE. So, the way it is setup now, ANY user will only see the intro ONCE. Clear? And trust me...I do know a little bit about user interfaces. :mrgreen:
What a bunch of ungrateful scrooges, I spend hours working on this and during the holidays. :cry1: :idea: :haha:

tanya
12-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I switched the logo back to "forum index". Everybody chill we are still breathing.

The ONLY time you will see the slide show is if you enter www.uutah.com direct. All of our current users have www.uutah.com/forum bookmarked. So they are not even seeing this page. A new user will only see it ONCE and will most likely bookmark www.uutah.com/forum and if they don't they will only get the intro ONCE. So, the way it is setup now, ANY user will only see the intro ONCE. Clear? And trust me...I do know a little bit about user interfaces. :mrgreen:
What a bunch of ungrateful scrooges, I spend hours working on this and during the holidays. :cry1: :idea: :haha:

You did and that is so sweet and it was our Christmas Gift! :hail2thechief:

I still think you are hurting your site and I only wanted to help you with the rankings! I will change all my links to you to www.uutah.com/forum rather than uutah.com

It's your site and rankings really don't matter all that much for a forum anyway.

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I was going to suggest an option to turn it off in our profiles, but a much, much easier way is to bookmark the http://uutah.com/forum/index.php page instead of www.uutah.com

Iceaxe
12-26-2006, 11:15 AM
And trust me...I do know a little bit about user interfaces. :mrgreen:

FYI: I wrote Zango a letter about a year ago and told them their intro sucked :2thumbs:

Same type deal.... too much dog and pony show and not enough product info.....

:2thumbs:

accadacca
12-26-2006, 11:21 AM
FYI: I wrote Zango a letter about a year ago and told them their intro sucked :2thumbs:

Same type deal.... too much dog and pony show and not enough product info.....

:2thumbs:
Agreed, and that was just about the time that I started getting my hands on it. Have you seen it since? Same deal, you only get the intro once per visit and we have loads more content now. If you saw our sales numbers you might change your opinion. :eek2: :lol8:

tanya
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
http://www.zango.com/ <- this?

There is no entry page, at least not with the results I got from google?

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
www.xango.com

tanya
12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
www.xango.com

I actually like that one. Classy, straight to the point. Nice. Makes me want to drink Orange :cool2:

Bad Example :mrgreen: :lol8:

Iceaxe
12-26-2006, 11:42 AM
The Xango site is much improved since I last bitched to them :2thumbs:

I once spent 5 minutes on the site and still had no clue what Xango was....

My new favorite statement is this...

*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.

In other words.... everything we just told you is Male Bovine Excretment.... :lol8:

One of these days I'll have to actually try one out. Anyone know how it mixes with rum?

:mrgreen:

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 11:55 AM
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.

Or as Microsoft likes to say.... beta. :lol8:

greyhair biker
12-27-2006, 09:08 AM
:ne_nau: this is all new to me, since I have always had this earmarked to the forum index....would never have know if someone hadnt said something :popcorn:

Sombeech
12-27-2006, 09:18 AM
:ne_nau: this is all new to me, since I have always had this earmarked to the forum index....would never have know if someone hadnt said something :popcorn:

Yeah, I hardly see it also. My bookmark is on www.uutah.com which will take me there, but I'm usually clicking thread responses in my email, so I don't see it.

I do like to go to it once in a while, and I'll have to start adding photos to it.

TreeHugger
12-30-2006, 12:05 PM
The pics are nice, but folks DO NOT want to wade through crap to get to the goodies.... I also hate webpages that make me wade through an entrance page.... I usually click out of that site before getting past the wistles & bells...

:puke8:

Hey, speak for yourself, I like it.