PDA

View Full Version : cleaning dry, encrusted mud off the engine...how?

jman
12-24-2006, 11:47 PM
So how do you get that mud off the exhaust manifold from the motor to the catalytic converter? Its encrusted on it! I can scrape it off but not that easy. You guys know what I'm talking about? What do you guys use or do in this situation?

Win
12-25-2006, 05:59 AM
I really don't have the answer but here's a good site with a bunch people that are really into wheelin'.

www.utah4x4club.com

Win

scoutabout
12-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Just leave it there. It's rust protection.

If the engine is really bad, I'll take my Scout into the car wash and hose it with degreaser and then use the high pressure sprayer to clean it.

fourtycal
12-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I use one of those cheap electric pressure washers similar to this
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/prodmeta/pg_prodmeta.jsp?

Mine is 1200 PSI at 2.2GPM. With a powerjet tip it will take decals and paint off so use wisely but it is great for dried mud.

R
12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Just leave it there. It's rust protection.

If the engine is really bad, I'll take my Scout into the car wash and hose it with degreaser and then use the high pressure sprayer to clean it.

I wash my engine about every tenth time I wash my car, which is pretty often. I just use the "engine cleaner" setting at the car wash, then rinse it away with the "soap" setting. It's also good to wash in the wheel wells to get the crap out of the drivetrain.

When I went to sell my last car, the mechanic who looked over the engine said, "Wow, they don't get much cleaner than that!"

-R

basilone0331
12-31-2006, 10:23 PM
I took the pinstripes off my Bronco with a cheap pressure washer from target, they do wonders to undercarrage mud.

JP
01-04-2007, 05:59 PM
So how do you get that mud off the exhaust manifold from the motor to the catalytic converter?
Don't go in the mud :haha:
I used to play in that stuff all the damn time. Man that crap takes its toll on stuff. I used a Kratcher (SP?) power washer I picked up at a pretty cheap price from Sears I believe. It worked well, but it can't get into all those tight areas. The radiator fins don't like high pressure :eek2: You'd be surprised on how much you actually miss when you get to poking around. Mud causes some early decay on sheet metal :twisted: