PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Zion National Park: Huber Wash

tanya
12-23-2006, 06:01 PM
I have to admit that Huber Wash was last on my list of hikes to do in Zion.... so after 3 years of hiking/canyoneering just about every weekend in and near Zion we did it! It was not planned, but as I drove through the east side of Zion and there was snow everywhere.. and then got to the south side where I was meeting my partner ----it looked warm and sunny ---- I quickly suggested Huber Wash --- one of the far southern trails considered outside the park by most tourists. So off we went. It was only a 5 mile round trip through a wash with little elevation change... so I can't say I got much exercise today, but it was a fun little hike. Bo was antsy though and when we were done he wanted to strap on the crampons and head for the snow... so off we went after our quick trek through Huber. We hiked around a bit and drove --- its always nice to be able to drive in the canyon in the winter... but most of the good winter shots are on the east side. Good day for a short winter day in December. :nod:

Huber is not too scenic, but here is one shot from the hike.

tanya
12-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Zion photos from around Zion today.

tanya
12-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Finished the album for this one already.. it was a short hike :mrgreen:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index34.htm

Sombeech
12-23-2006, 08:29 PM
i luv the great white throne. :cool2:

Win
12-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Looks like it was a fun day! I Was up on the East side early but only took a couple of pictures on my way to Bryce. I did meet Bo the other nite and he told me about doing Angels Landing with crampons. Yikes!

Checkerboard Mesa is just the best in the snow. I may be back up there today and try Many Pools , looked like there was some nice melting going on.

Merry Christmas,
Win

tanya
12-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Looks like it was a fun day! I Was up on the East side early but only took a couple of pictures on my way to Bryce. I did meet Bo the other nite and he told me about doing Angels Landing with crampons. Yikes!

Checkerboard Mesa is just the best in the snow. I may be back up there today and try Many Pools , looked like there was some nice melting going on.

Merry Christmas,
Win

He mentioned you were at the store. Did you get some good photos in Bryce Canyon? Bo does lots of crazy things. We thought about doing Many Pools yesterday... its going to be gorgeous! I hope you make it. Show us some photos!

Merry Christmas! :nod:

tanya
12-26-2006, 01:17 PM
The trail report, map and such are all done. :nod:

I know this is like the least exciting hike in Zion though :haha:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-huber-wash.htm

Heather
12-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Beautiful pics! I just love Southern Utah in the winter! :)

tanya
12-26-2006, 02:11 PM
i luv the great white throne. :cool2:

What!?!?! You have a problem with Huber Wash :lol8:

Win
12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
That trail looks like a good leg stretcher for me, maybe even after work. The pictures sure do it justice.

Win

tanya
12-26-2006, 04:48 PM
That trail looks like a good leg stretcher for me, maybe even after work. The pictures sure do it justice.

Win

:2thumbs:

It has its beauty! Eagle Crags one way... Kinesava the other.... nice level wash walking. Actually if you are looking for an easy winter hike it is great. Bo was just antsy for a tough one that day. I am all for an easy one----- once in a while. The icicles at the end were great! If you go, take a shot of the log jam at the end. I missed it!

I should not make fun of any hike in Zion.... they are all GORGEOUS!!!!!

Love ZION! :party:
(don't mind me. I have been off dancing to some bootie music.) :lol8:

tanya
12-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Win

One note on this... if you my favorite Zion book (besides Shane's Zion Canyoneering book of course), the Falcon Guide to Zion and Bryce... don't follow their Huber Wash Trail. They are going a goofy way. You park at the wash.... just go in it, instead of up and over and through the power lines. :nod: