View Full Version : The Top 100 Ways to Help Save The Environment

accadacca
12-20-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.seql.org/100ways.cfm

Sombeech
12-20-2006, 11:24 AM
These are good ideas, but....

The first one:

Clean or replace air filters on your air conditioning unit at least once a month.

The filters are usually rated around 6 months. If everybody replaced their filters, their AC unit would be more efficient, BUT, this would raise the demand of filters by 6X (or more, most people go a whole year)

So, with the raised demand for these filters, more get made just to fill demand, and all of the production variables would increase pollution.

rockgremlin
12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
#78 - Install a low-flow shower head.

My wife would KILL me!!! I dunno why.....she won't tell me. :ne_nau:

Sombeech
12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
#78 - Install a low-flow shower head.

My wife would KILL me!!! I dunno why.....she won't tell me. :ne_nau:

No kidding. I think they have honorable intentions, but you end up SPENDING MORE MONEY, just so you can shower LONGER because the shampoo won't wash out. Ever see that Seinfeld episode? I just tried to find it on Youtube, no luck.

I'll analyze the "conserving water" section, since I'm in the Plumbing business.

#73 Check and fix any water leaks.
Don't fix leaks JUST to be efficient. If you fix a leak, it will be to prevent water damage. If it's not threatening, it's probably just a slow drip. You will spend more money to fix the leak, than it will cost you in lost water.

Install water-saving devices on your faucets and toilets.

Toilets are already at 1.6 gallons per flush, half of what the 3 gallon used to be. If you cut it down, you'll end up flushing more than once to "deliver the goods".

Replace old toilets with new ones that use a lot less water
Same as above.

Don't spend MORE MONEY than what it will cost you otherwise. When resources run low, prices will go up, but fixing these issues will still be more expensive than paying your bills.

DickHead
12-20-2006, 01:52 PM
I already flush 2-3 times per businsess transaction.....

Sombeech
12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Now, instead of getting a more expensive toilet that will flush 1.6 gallons EACH time, you could get a urinal to cut down the water usage.

DickHead
12-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Now, instead of getting a more expensive toilet that will flush 1.6 gallons EACH time, you could get a urinal to cut down the water usage.

In my dream house, there is a room.
Its got expensive dark leather furniture, 2 or 3 of the biggest LCD TVs available, a humidor (even thought I don't smoke cigars), a couple trophy fish and animals on the walls, a glass case with several rare and expensive firearms in it, and an attached men's room complete with urinals.

Sombeech
12-20-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm putting a urinal in my bathroom. :2thumbs:

derstuka
12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Why not just piss outside whenever you can? Saves money and water! I do! There is NOTHING like the freedom of taking a piss outdoors I tell ya! Take a dump in your garden for fertilizer.

Or as they used to say when using the toilet, "if it is yellow, let it mellow!"

Sombeech
12-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Why not just piss outside whenever you can? Saves money and water! I do! There is NOTHING like the freedom of taking a piss outdoors I tell ya! Take a dump in your garden for fertilizer.

:lol8: This thread is about saving the environment, not killing the lawn.

derstuka
12-20-2006, 10:44 PM

:lol8: This thread is about saving the environment, not killing the lawn.

Well hey, if you shit kills the lawn, maybe you better adjust your diet accordingly! :haha: And, if your piss does the same, maybe you are taking in too much sodium?! :roflol: Answer me this, doesn't it feel great to take a piss outside...like you are free??? Looking up at the sky/stars... :2thumbs:

BTW, less flushes = less water = less water pumped from rivers and streams, or in our case, over-pumped from the colorado river! :bootyshake:

Sombeech
12-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Answer me this, doesn't it feel great to take a piss outside...like you are free??? Looking up at the sky/stars... :2thumbs:

That's the only reason I go backpacking.

moabfool
12-21-2006, 11:05 AM
#87. Buy items in bulk from loose bins when possible to reduce the packaging wasted.

What a load of crap. I watched a guy fill those bins. He was opening small bags and dumping them in the bin. So you take bag he was dumping from and add the bag you used to get the stuff from the bin to the register (and home) and that's two bags. So nice to see the standard of well intentioned, misinformed, counter productive environmentalism is alive and well.

Sombeech
12-21-2006, 02:10 PM
#87. Buy items in bulk from loose bins when possible to reduce the packaging wasted.

Sounds like Sams Club wants us to do their employees' job for them.

Rev. Coyote
12-22-2006, 02:34 PM
101. Don't have so damn many kids.