PDA

View Full Version : someplace I'd like to get away from...

greyhair biker
12-16-2006, 09:00 AM
been hunting for the old post of work pics and cant find so so who I said Id get a pic back to here they are:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/wliedtke/wadeonbolterMedium.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/wliedtke/wadeinfrontofboreminerMedium.jpg

greyhair biker
12-16-2006, 09:02 AM
...and the kneepads werent my idea..they are a running joke underground -you'd have to be there

greyhair biker
12-16-2006, 09:09 AM
oh yeah, the pics are me in the setup face for the longwall. Normally the celing height is 8.5 feet and the cut is 14 feet wide per pass but in here the height is about 14 feet high and 32' wide - the room is 500 feet long connecting two adjacent miner panels. Each panel is over a mile deep from the main roadway to setup face. Currently, I do alot of bolting because of a lack of experienced operators but I fill in wherever needed so from now until the start of the year I run crews where full time foremen are on vacation...I never know where I willbe from day to day :ne_nau:

psl53
12-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Can't blame you. Tuff dangerous way to make a living.

Sombeech
12-16-2006, 05:30 PM
...and the kneepads werent my idea..they are a running joke underground -you'd have to be there

:lol8: That's one of those jokes that take a long time to die.

tanya
12-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Scarey Job!!!!

greyhair biker
12-16-2006, 07:46 PM

:lol8: That's one of those jokes that take a long time to die.
...and the worst of it is I now wear full length knee/shin guards....what's next ...kevlar body armor?? Oh, they DO wear that stuff in the longwall..

greyhair biker
12-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Scarey Job!!!!

I spent all week on that platform getting rained on by chunks of rock as big as my head...at little bruused and scratched but HEY, Im off til next thursday so 'its all good'

RedMan
12-16-2006, 08:20 PM
So what are you mining?

greyhair biker
12-16-2006, 08:27 PM
So what are you mining?
a seam of Trona Ore...gets processed into sodium bicarbonate...baking soda among other things....glass making processes, fiberglas, pharmaceuticals....

BrainDamage
12-16-2006, 10:48 PM
So what mine are you at, The company that I use to work for repaired GM and GFR for Solvey( I think that was the name of it) trona is very corrosive on electronics.

rockgremlin
12-17-2006, 09:19 AM
I understand trona is much safer to mine underground than coal or other minerals. What's the safety record like over there?

RedMan
12-17-2006, 10:24 AM
greyhair biker,

I think I have bad news. You may be there a LONG time.

According to a report I just read, you are sitting on 47B tons of Trona.
Your operation is mining 15M tons a year.

You may still be there in 3,000 years at that rate.

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/soda_ash/sodaamcs04.pdf

savanna3313
12-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Do you ever suffer from claustrophobia at any time? I think it takes a special person to be a miner. :2thumbs:

tanya
12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Do you ever suffer from claustrophobia at any time? I think it takes a special person to be a miner. :2thumbs:

Bet you would not even notice if Mr. Grey Hair was in there with you. :naughty:

savanna3313
12-17-2006, 01:40 PM

Girl.....you are B - A - D !!! :haha:

tanya
12-17-2006, 01:43 PM

Girl.....you are B - A - D !!! :haha:

Just being honest :haha: :five:

savanna3313
12-17-2006, 01:49 PM

:five:

tanya
12-17-2006, 02:37 PM

Think we can make the big guy blush? :naughty:

greyhair biker
12-17-2006, 08:48 PM
So what mine are you at, The company that I use to work for repaired GM and GFR for Solvey( I think that was the name of it) trona is very corrosive on electronics.
Hey, I do work at Solvay Chemicals! Trona is corrosive on just about everything! I go through 4 or 5 pairs of steel toed boots a year...add that one up quick...

greyhair biker
12-17-2006, 08:50 PM

Hey, me like bad...youre gonna have to try REAL hard to make me blush girls :bootyshake:

greyhair biker
12-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I understand trona is much safer to mine underground than coal or other minerals. What's the safety record like over there?
Safety records' pretty dang good..very few lost time accidents or major injuries. We just had the feds in for inspection (msha) and mu panel passed very well. I spent two days inspecting equipment and taking air and gas readings to test my computations...no violations and a safe work area....hows that for boring :lol8: We work at the 1500' level & the mine is considered a category 3 metal/nonmetal gassy mine.

greyhair biker
12-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh, and no claustrophobia or fear of the dark..you get over them or get out of the mine....If anyone wants a tour I can arrange it and take you on one..just say the word :nod:

tanya
12-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey, me like bad...youre gonna have to try REAL hard to make me blush girls :bootyshake:

I do love a challenge :nod:

greyhair biker
12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
GAME ON !! :mrgreen:

Sombeech
12-18-2006, 09:48 PM

Dude, looks like you're about to get double teamed.

savanna3313
12-18-2006, 10:10 PM

Sorry Tanya........you're on your own until after the holidays. :haha:
Something tells me you don't need any assistance in the matter anyway. :naughty:

Right now, I am absolutely swamped with work (the holiday season is my second busiest time of the year) and more family is coming in on Wednesday who will be staying with me until the 1st. I haven't even finished Christmas shopping yet. :help:

greyhair biker
12-19-2006, 06:43 AM
:bootyshake: :bootyshake: :lol8: :popcorn:

tanya
12-25-2006, 05:16 PM

Sorry Tanya........you're on your own until after the holidays. :haha:
Something tells me you don't need any assistance in the matter anyway. :naughty:

Right now, I am absolutely swamped with work (the holiday season is my second busiest time of the year) and more family is coming in on Wednesday who will be staying with me until the 1st. I haven't even finished Christmas shopping yet. :help:

Is that like until after Christmas or until after New Years :cheers: :friday: :five: :ahh: