PDA

View Full Version : Car Inverter

bruce from bryce
12-13-2006, 06:06 PM
does anyone have an inverter that they use in their car to recharge camera batteries, make coffee, run your computer etc. thanks.

R
12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
I do. Use it all the time. Chargers plugged into it, even Christmas lights sometimes. Got it at Loves on I-40 about four years ago - they had them in all amps, but I got a the smallest one. Number one use: power my son's Gameboy. :nod:

Windwalker
12-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, we keep inverters in each of our vehicles. Great for cellphones and laptops, good for maintaining a charge while they're being used. We hook up both our GPSr and laptop to the inverter and then run National Geographic's "Topo!" mapping program when we go off road and geocaching. We still get lost but at least we know exactly where we're at. For small items such as a cellphone you'll do fine with a inverter that plugs into the cigarette light, we keep one in each vehicle as mentioned. For more power hungry things like laptops or hooking up more than a couple units to the inverter I'd suggest you go to something with big amps. And then connect it directly to the battery with a inline fuse. One other suggestion, get an inverter that monitors your car battery and will turn its self off if it should start to drain the battery while the engine not running.

DiscGo
12-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah, mine is great. I use it for camping and even just for road trips (I can plug in two items at once with mine).

DaveOU812
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I actualy have one in the bed of my truck. It's in the side of the bed. Cool little feature. Great for camping.

stefan
12-13-2006, 08:19 PM
does anyone have an inverter that they use in their car to recharge camera batteries, make coffee, run your computer etc. thanks.

hey bruce, this is related, but different of course. these are supposed to work pretty darn well out in the open sunny space ... :2thumbs:

http://www.eclipsesolargear.com/

bruce from bryce
12-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Yet Stefan, you think that would hold up in a canyon?

Thanks for the other comments; as usual there is nothing new in a group this size, someone justs needs to ask the question.

asdf
12-14-2006, 06:01 AM
If are using a DC/AC converter for your car .. Don't forget to leave your laptop (or whatever) disconnected when you start your car and plug it in AFTER your car is running.
If its connected you run the risk of overloading the device.

stefan
12-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Yet Stefan, you think that would hold up in a canyon?

Thanks for the other comments; as usual there is nothing new in a group this size, someone justs needs to ask the question.

now why on earth would you take that through a slot canyon? but i know it would hold up okay if you took it backpacking or dayhiking or any other not abrasive superagressive :cool2: