PDA

View Full Version : NASA to build moon base

Mtnman1830
12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIENCE&fn=/2006/12/04/534434.html&cvqh=itn_moonbase

Iceaxe
12-04-2006, 04:53 PM
I'll believe it when I start seeing actual bid documents cross my desk.

I mean I'm all for it.... but this is just :fluff:

Sombeech
12-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Along with the development of the flying automobile of the future 1990's. :2thumbs:

derstuka
12-05-2006, 06:26 AM
It sounds cool as hell, however, in our current situation, what a waste of money. We have already been to the moon many times, and the cost of missions back and forth to supply it would be astronomical....but what the hell, we are already forking out 400+ billion for Iraq, what is another couple hundred billion? Just sell more bonds, and bump the national debt up some more. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott P
12-05-2006, 06:46 AM
It sounds cool as hell, however, in our current situation, what a waste of money. We have already been to the moon many times, and the cost of missions back and forth to supply it would be astronomical....but what the hell, we are already forking out 400+ billion for Iraq, what is another couple hundred billion? Just sell more bonds, and bump the national debt up some more.

Well said. Sure, it would be cool, but a big waste of money (but not as much as Iraq) at a time where the US Government is set for bankruptsy in the future. Even if plans don't materialize, I would bet they are spending design money right now.

Iceaxe
12-05-2006, 07:46 AM
I never considered the moon project or any space project a waste of money. I consider it investing in the future. The technology spin-off from most space projects justifies their existence in my opinion.

asdf
12-05-2006, 07:48 AM
I never considered the moon project or any space project a waste of money. I consider it investing in the future. The technology spin-off from most space projects justifies their existence in my opinion.

Dont suger coat it, you just want to be the first Moon-Canyoneer.

Scott P
12-05-2006, 08:11 AM

It's timing, not the moon station itself that I am against. I would have no problem with it as long as the government had the money to do it rather than spend the money it doesn't have (PS, I work for the [state] goverment and our benifits are worse than Walmart's and their always screaming poverty). Things like our national parks are underfunded. Some highways are in serious need of repair. Health care cost are crippling average Americans. My medical deductable is $6600 before the insurance company will pay a penny, after which they will pay 70%. I hope the family never gets sick or injured.

Sure, it would be cool, and yes technology will come out of it, but when the government is running up a huge tab without increasing much revenue, this is not the time to do it. It's like one of us getting a pay cut and going out and buying a new car with a credit card.

Also, I assume you might change your mind if you and your wife were one of the ones paying 30K a year in taxes. Before we had kids, we were. Now I make much less and don't pay even close to those amount of taxes (in fact I don't pay that much at all) with two kids, but I feel for those who do.

I have no problem paying my taxes and gladly do so, but I don't think this is the right time for a moon station.

Brian in SLC
12-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Next generation of space shuttle. That it looks like an Apollo is maybe no coincidence.

Long lead is being procured now. What, only 12 missions left for the current space shuttle, then its gone?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/mmb/why_moon.html

Back to the future...

-Brian in SLC