PDA

View Full Version : new sandy Gym

price1869
12-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow, that place is huge. Anyone have any information on when it opens?

Price

finimedic
12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
go to momentumclimbing.com/

price1869
12-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I've been there. I was looking for information on when it opened. Anyone else?

Price

price1869
12-19-2006, 07:43 AM
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650216117,00.html

shaggy125
01-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I just went and took the tour of the gym, so here is the low down. I walked around and the place is freaking huge. You can go to the website to see all that's included but here's the offer they are doing right now. Normally it's $49 a month plus a $99 one time activation fee if you commit to a year. If you sign up in January they waive the activation fee and you get in for $42 a month PLUS the bouldering wall will open in Feb. but your monthly dues won't start until March when the whole gym opens, so you basically get Feb. for free. To climb for one day is $15. If you are thinking of getting a yearly membership, now is the time to do it so you don't have to pay the activation fee. If you just pay month to month you still have to pay the activation fee and you don't save anything by signing up early.

Eric.

price1869
01-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I also took the tour today. Too bad we didn't bump into each other. Those bulgarians are doing a hell of a job. Yeah. I was told the bouldering would open up 1/22. It looks like they packed the holds in there really tight. That can make for interesting boulderring.

The price is the sweetest part of the deal. The largest climbing gym in the US for $42 or $49 dollars, awesome. :2thumbs: That's way way cheaper than Rockreation, and a little cheaper than The Front.

Should be cool.

marc olivares
01-08-2007, 11:33 PM
i dont know about "way, way cheaper than rockreation"
$42 is all i pay there :ne_nau:

Brian in SLC
01-09-2007, 07:53 AM
i dont know about "way, way cheaper than rockreation"
$42 is all i pay there :ne_nau:

Rockreation family membership for two is 800, which works out to 33 bucks a month. Plus you can freeze for three months in the summer. Which, if you climb outside through the fall, start your membership after the time change, gives you two seasons in the gym. Sweet. Fronts "couples" yearly is only 750. Cheaper yet.

I'm not a huge fan of the front, but, their 10-punch pass for 119 is pretty good. That's about 12 bucks per visit. Cheaper than either Rockreation or Momentum.

Plus, the activation fee is way higher than either Rockreation or the Front.

So, not "way" cheaper. With higher start up fees, and a higher montly individual rate, its more expensive than Rockreation (which is 47 per month with no start up fees or 42 with a start up of 70).

Front has yoga and pilates, too, and enough weights for lifting. Rockreation has a fair amount of weights too and a couple of aerobic machines.

Marc, when do you go to Rockreation? There last night m'self...(try for two to three sesh's per week, dude).

Will be interesting to see how the new gym affects the others. Counting the rec center on the west side, there'll be, what, 4 gyms to climb at in the SLC area (county)? Saturation? Dunno.

Shop and compare:

http://www.rockreation.com/slcpricing.htm

http://www.frontslc.com/website/memberinfo3.htm

http://www.momentumclimbing.com/rates.html

-Brian in SLC

tanya
01-09-2007, 08:21 AM
:2thumbs:

marc olivares
01-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Marc, when do you go to Rockreation? There last night m'self...(try for two to three sesh's per week, dude).
-Brian in SLC

i go in the mornings 2/3 times a week, typically mon-thurs.
always looking for others to climb w/.... :haha:

shaggy125
01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
I also took the tour today. Too bad we didn't bump into each other.

Yea, too bad, I was there for at least a half hour talking to the guys giving the tours. It's a lot bigger than it looks from the freeway. Who's going to get a pass? I'm thinking I will while there is no sign up fee.

Eric.

PS Price, did you ever get into Choprock? I remember you asked me a few times if I could do a weekend trip. In May I will be done with school if your still wanting to get down there.

price1869
01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Shagster, I have until the end of January. You in?

shaggy125
01-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Chop at the end of January? Could be.... fun? Right now school is my biggest deterrent to getting out much. Snowboarding a day here and there works, but anything more than a one day trip is rare for me, my schedule is pretty tight. If you are ever around after the end of April I'll have lots of time off.

Eric.

ajroadtrips
01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Front has yoga and pilates, too, and enough weights for lifting.

I'll plug The Front's classes as being top notch. Really good instructors.

Plenty of weight and aerobic gear as well to keep me busy. Oh, and don't forget the Ping Pong table! :2thumbs: (Although I usually lose to a certain Italian woman, it's still fun.)

For me, cost and location were big factors. I live downtown, and don't want to have to commute to Rockreation, or 106th S. when I want to hit the gym. As it is, I can be bouldering in 5 minutes from my house.

Ryan

gonzo
02-12-2007, 03:06 PM
I went and checked out Momentum on Saturday. Not being a climber I can't really comment on any of the technical aspects, but it did look pretty amazing. The lead walls and crack walls sound like they're going to be pretty cool.

They're planning on opening the bouldering wall sometime this week, but it may have some sporadic closures while they work on the other walls. If you sign up right now you get the student rate for the next 12 months ($42/mo) with a $39 activation fee.

shaggy125
02-20-2007, 04:23 PM
For anyone interested the bouldering wall, bathrooms, locker room, and coffee shop are all open now. Everything else is still being built.

Eric.