PDA

View Full Version : Are these different Kelsey Guidebooks?

Brewhaha
12-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Looking on Amazon, I see entries for two guidebooks. Are these actually different? I ask because the reviews are the Amazon reviews are exactly the same?

The differences I see are in the year of publication, the title and the cover. However, the Amazon reviews are the same and if you "look inside" the first one you see both the cover and the index of the second one.

So, again, are these actually two different books?

http://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Hiking-Guide-Colorado-Plateau/dp/0944510221/sr=8-4/qid=1165115154/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-1129975-7288069?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Hiking-Guide-Colorado-Plateau/dp/0944510116/sr=8-9/qid=1165115154/ref=sr_1_9/002-1129975-7288069?ie=UTF8&s=books

[/img]

stefan
12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
yes and no.

kelsey has been writing a canyon hiking guide to the colorado plateau for a LONG time. recently he wrote a technical guide which came out in 2003. he just released the brown one ... the "non-technical guide". so the original book is now split in two ... tech and non-tech

so the second link, is to the 4th edition (purple book) which is the version prior to the new non-tech book.

Brewhaha
12-02-2006, 07:48 PM
So does the non-tech version (2006) that is shown contain anything new that isn't in the original purple (1999, 4th ed) book?

stefan
12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
So does the non-tech version (2006) that is shown contain anything new that isn't in the original purple (1999, 4th ed) book?

certainly!!

plus ... it's all in color fotography :2thumbs:

Scott P
12-02-2006, 09:02 PM
They are different for sure. Amazon doesn't change or update reviews for new editions once they come out, unless they have a different title. Not sure why.

Iceaxe
12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
The pictures and editions noted on Amazon do not match. The first link you posted is actually the cover of the 5th edition and is noted as the 4th edition in the description. The second link has no picture and is noted as the 4th edition.

Bottom line.... I'm not exactly sure what Amazon is selling....

Currently you need to buy three books to get all Kelsey's Hiking the CP routes.

The books are

Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado plateau 5th edition
http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/images/kelnontech5th.jpg

Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado Plateau (1st edition)
http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/images/ke001.jpg

Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado plateau (4th Edition)
http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/images/kelseycoloplat.jpg

Kelsey also has other books that you need to buy if you want a complete collection of all his routes, but the books noted above gives you and excellent canyoneering library.

:2thumbs:

stefan
12-02-2006, 09:51 PM
The pictures and editions noted on Amazon do not match. The first link you posted is actually the cover of the 5th edition and is noted as the 4th edition in the description. The second link has no picture and is noted as the 4th edition.

Bottom line.... I'm not exactly sure what Amazon is selling....

while on the first link the editorial description hasn't changed and refers to the 4th edition, the title of the book (non-tech) does match the cover.

Brewhaha
12-08-2006, 07:40 PM
I just picked up the Non-Tech Hiking Guide and must say I am very pleased. Definitely 5 stars. Some pleasant surprises: great detail of Cedar Mesa including Grand Gulch and Slickhorn Canyons; a very interesting description of the state of the Black Hole; and (although not in Utah) a description of Rattlesnake Canyon near Grand Junction, CO and the many arches contained therein.

Count me as a very pleased customer.

Iceaxe
12-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah.... I never felt cheated after buying any of Kelsey's books. The amount of info for what they cost is a major bargin. I think I own all of Kelseys books in at least one edition or anther.

stefan
12-09-2006, 11:15 AM
I just picked up the Non-Tech Hiking Guide and must say I am very pleased. Definitely 5 stars. Some pleasant surprises: great detail of Cedar Mesa including Grand Gulch and Slickhorn Canyons; a very interesting description of the state of the Black Hole; and (although not in Utah) a description of Rattlesnake Canyon near Grand Junction, CO and the many arches contained therein.

Count me as a very pleased customer.

yes the cedar mesa stuff he greatly expanded since the last edition. he very recently spent a lot of time down there exploring further to augment the previous, cursory description. (tassoni also wrote a wonderful guide to cedar mesa, which i am sure you have.)

he rehiked many of trails for this edition too. most of the technical hikes were moved to the tech guide, but he's included allusions to some, and some information on others. he also included a number of stuff from the national parks which weren't previously in there, at the request of a large number of people, some from other books (e.g. bryce) and some new (e.g. arches). also added some other showcase hikes/areas from his other books (e.g. twin corral/sam's mesa::dirty devil).

the color photos are great and it almost serves as a photoalbum/photo book. i like all sorts of descriptions, but i do like kelsey's concise descriptions and straightforward layout. in general i find his information to be useful and accurate. some have pointed out inaccuracies. in this particular book, i still find one particular route on a canyonlands map which i specifically disagree with "going through."

regardless it's simply great stuff albeit exposing and revealing :2thumbs: