PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here do Triathlons?

DiscGo
11-30-2006, 08:17 PM
I think I've mentioned that I'm not in the best shape right now, but I'm looking to do my first Triathlon in 2007. I will do horribly but I'm just looking for an activity for which I can really train.

Anyway, I was looking online at: http://www.trifind.com/ut.html and I wasn't sure which Triathlon to do, and I thought I would see if any of you do Triathlons and get some pointers.

P.S. Pretty much regardless of feedback, I'm going to do one in 07 if I'm still living here. If anyone wants to do one, let me know if you are interested in any information I find out.

Sombeech
11-30-2006, 09:36 PM
My sister and brother in law are always trying to get me to go with them when they do the triathalon in ogden.

I tell them nope.

stefan
12-01-2006, 04:00 AM
My sister and brother in law are always trying to get me to go with them when they do the triathalon in ogden.

I tell them nope.

:lol8: :lol8:

DickHead
12-01-2006, 06:28 AM
I've done a few in my youth....no more....its hard to be a family man and train to swim/bike/run effectively.
Most tris I know are good in one or two disciplines....usually bike/run....and usually the swimming is undertrained.....

TreeHugger
12-01-2006, 06:55 AM
It's on my list of things to do, but I want to do another marathon first. My husband has done 3 Ironmans, I could get lots of info from him for ya, if that would help, plus he's a great trainer. What kind of info would you like?

DiscGo
12-01-2006, 08:26 AM

I tell them nope.

That's pretty straight forward :lol8:

I know I'm not ready for the Ironman. That would take more training that I'm read to do. We were looking at some options that seemed pretty reasonable.

Most of the distances we are looking at are approximately:
800 yd Swim/12.4 mile Bike/ 5k/3.1 mile Run.

I feel like I could do that today. I'm sure I'd take a VERY distant last place but I'm just looking to have a reason to be in shape.

There are a bunch of different races and I just wasn't sure if any one here had done multiple and had any recommendations or better yet maybe knew that some would be a better fit for the "less fit" :mrgreen:

Shan
12-01-2006, 09:10 AM
I did one triathlon when I was 19.

I've done a few biathlons where I biked and my sister ran.

Basically, I am not very competitive so I don't really do all that well.

Then in my 20s I dabbled in mountain bike racing here in Utah. The races were too far away and cost money to drive and enter the races, etc.

DiscGo
12-01-2006, 09:18 AM
The races were too far away and cost money to drive and enter the races, etc.

I know what you mean. My friend does downhill races all the time, and I just don't see how he affords it.

My Mom had breast cancer last year, so this year we did the Susan G. Komen 5k run. I really enjoyed it, but I think the running was easier for me because I convinced myself that I was running for my Mom (because of the whole cancer thing). Anyway, I'm really interested to see what the triathlon is like this year.

Shan
12-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I've seen a few shorter tri-races up here in Logan.

That is great you did the race for your mom. Is your mom OK now?

Ross
12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I've done one, but I cheated and was on a team. I only did the cycling portion. It was rediculously easy.

DiscGo
12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
That is great you did the race for your mom. Is your mom OK now?

Yeah my Mom is fine. She had breast cancer and did Chemo and radiation and she is just fine. I had never done a race, and before my Mom had cancer I had never heard of Susan G. Komen but the whole event was awesome.

Almost everyone there is running "in memory" of someone of "in celebration" of someone, so the atmosphere is just awesome!

Anyway, thanks for asking. My Mom is doing great.

Shan
12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Ok Phew, I was scared to ask! I'm glad she is fine.

My mom survived skin cancer (melanoma) and my dad currently has esophogeal and stomach cancer. He starts chemo and radiation on Monday.

DiscGo
12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
my dad currently has esophogeal and stomach cancer. He starts chemo and radiation on Monday.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I know how scary that can be, and I really wish you and your family all the best.