PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a white, male version of MLK, Jr.?

Brewhaha
11-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Since it's too cold to go outside and exercise our physical muscles, here's something to get us to exercise mental muscles.

Court rules boy can't compete on girls' squad.

Here's a link to the article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/11/30/lawsuit.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

What are your thoughts on this and other situations like it? Should minority groups (as defined by race, gender, or even population size) have special privilages that aren't given to the majority? For instance, is it okay for girls to play on boys teams but not vice-versa because, traditionally, women have been denied certain privilages and rights?

I just thought that since we handled the religious discussion so well (see: Leave Me Alone) we could try another complicated issue.

rockgremlin
11-30-2006, 12:03 PM
In high school, there was a girl on our wrestling squad. She looked like a dude, and she lost every match she competed in, but she never quit. Nobody on the squad wanted to wrestle her because a) they were afraid of hurting her, and b) she wasn't very good looking. :lol8:

basilone0331
11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
A few days ago I read that someone put together a "whites only" scholarship just to point out the double standard since there are black scholarships and latino scholarships. It was only a few hundred dollars, but a lot of people were saying it was racist. I think if you can have a black or latino or asian only scholarship then you should be able to have white only one.

greyhair biker
11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
I think the doors' already open on this one - too late to justify a double stantard. the boys' got just as much right to be on a girls team as a girl has to be on a 'boys' football,basketball,wrestling, hockey,etc... :2thumbs:

tanya
11-30-2006, 09:01 PM
In high school, there was a girl on our wrestling squad. She looked like a dude, and she lost every match she competed in, but she never quit. Nobody on the squad wanted to wrestle her because a) they were afraid of hurting her, and b) she wasn't very good looking. :lol8:

I was a wrestler.... but I never went to HS. (although I do have my BS and MS I was busy with boys during those HS years :mrgreen: ) I did it at the YMCA in freestyle rather than wrestling collegiate. I did NOT look like a dude and I did not get hurt! I ended up training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs for years and competing at the National level in Judo and was ranked 2nd or 3rd throughout my time in Judo. (very related to wrestling) Girls can be good! Although in Judo I just competed with women I did train with men. I got to play with some of the Olympic Wrestlers too like Mark Shultz. I was a blast. I love how those guy just give us their neck to choke. They caught on quick though.

I fought at 123 lbs, but some of those girls that were about 158 would womp on most men!

I LOVE wrestlers!!! :rockon:

tanya
11-30-2006, 09:03 PM
A few days ago I read that someone put together a "whites only" scholarship just to point out the double standard since there are black scholarships and latino scholarships. It was only a few hundred dollars, but a lot of people were saying it was racist. I think if you can have a black or latino or asian only scholarship then you should be able to have white only one.

I agree. There was a time when that sort of thing was needed for minorities but now it just makes them think they are not the same as everyone else. We should all be equal.

Brewhaha
11-30-2006, 09:15 PM
So are you saying that it is alright for women to compete in men's leagues AND for men to compete in women's leagues?

Before you answer too quickly, consider this scenario if men were allowed to compete in women's golf. There is a possibility that Phil Mickelson would get tired of being kicked around by Tiger Woods and would go to the women's league so that he could win pretty much everything. Other golfers would do the same. Despite the fact that the prize-money is smaller, the golfers would soon realize that they could make it up by winning alot of tournaments. Soon the women are shut-out of the prize money. Now we have the problem: we have just created inequities by trying to create equities.

Should we set boundaries for the interaction of men and women? Should we set boundaries for the interaction for Group A and Group B?

derstuka
11-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Of course there is a double standard. Black comedians say cracker, honkey, white trash, etc, etc, yet if I were to use the "N" word, I would have Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, and the entire black community (and probably every other race) on my ass so fast that I would have to leave the country and move to Argentina. The black mayor (Ray Nagin) of New Orleans can say that his city is going to be black, should be black, and God intended it to be black, however, just for kicks, imagine me, standing up in any major city in the US, and saying, this city was meant to be white, it should be white, and God intended for it to be white! Once again, I would have to move to Argentina for fear of getting hanged. I would never be able to show my face in public again.

Affirmative action had its place years and years ago, but that time is long gone now, no matter what others say.

tanya
11-30-2006, 09:26 PM
So are you saying that it is alright for women to compete in men's leagues AND for men to compete in women's leagues?

Before you answer too quickly, consider this scenario if men were allowed to compete in women's golf. There is a possibility that Phil Mickelson would get tired of being kicked around by Tiger Woods and would go to the women's league so that he could win pretty much everything. Other golfers would do the same. Despite the fact that the prize-money is smaller, the golfers would soon realize that they could make it up by winning alot of tournaments. Soon the women are shut-out of the prize money. Now we have the problem: we have just created inequities by trying to create equities.

Should we set boundaries for the interaction of men and women? Should we set boundaries for the interaction for Group A and Group B?

No.. back to Judo for example. I would have got my rear :frustrated: kicked if I had to compete with men! Men and women are different, but the color of someones skin has absolutely nothing to do with anything. All races should compete against each other and no race should get special treatment anymore.

I like men teams.. and women's teams. Besides the physical differences nothing would get done besides flirting, sex and everyone wondering what each other is doing. :haha: