PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried the .22 Maximum Velocity rounds?

tallsteve
11-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Just wondered if anybody out there has tried the .22 maximum velocity hollow point rounds? I just ordered a 500 count box from Cabela's online (the Lehi store doesn't have them). They are supposed to shoot at 1750 fps, about 500 fps faster than the std. round. I've discovered that the bunnies out in the west desert are fast critters and am thinking that these rounds will help even the odds.

tallsteve
12-04-2006, 12:48 PM
FYI: I found some 1650 fps .22 ammo at Gunnies to tide me over until the ones from Cabelas shows up. We tried them out Saturday out in the Cedar Valley. They are noticeably faster. Very little to no drop at 150 yards. Helped even the odds with the critters. Can't wait for the 1750 fps ammo to show up.

donny h
12-06-2006, 06:35 PM
1750fps is getting pretty fast, that has GOT to be one flat shooter.

Are those full weight bullets? 36 or 40 grain? I think some of the super fast .22lr get there by lightening the bullet, I don't imagine you would want that for a hunting round.

I ordered some subsonics to play with, but the one .22 ammo at Cabelas I want to play with is the tracer ammo, I just wish they would sell less than $100 of it.

tallsteve
12-07-2006, 08:39 AM
You are right- it is a lighter weight slug- 30 gr. It's also a Hollow Point round which will help with knock down when it hits something. Even though this round is bulk packed with the Cabelas name on it, it's actually made by a company named Aguila (Mexico). You can see specs on their website at aguilaammo.com. The rounds we used last Sat. were a lighter round hollow point as well and they still had plenty of critter kill in them.

REDFOX
12-07-2006, 09:20 PM
If you are wanting a fast flat shooting rim fire, you should look at the .17 calibers out there today. My favorite is the .17HMR and the .17mach2.
Go to the website varmintals.com click on the 17hmr testing section to review bullet drop, energy, and trajectory. I have made several long shots with both of these calibers. My .17mach2 has a 6x24 scope, my 17HMR has a 8x32 scope on it both for small targets at long ranges. You would be surprised at how effective these little 17 grain bullets are on jack rabbits as well as badgers.

tallsteve
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
What's the cost of the .17 rounds? I'd like to have something like that at some point. With the .22 I can squeeze off alot of rounds for very little money (.052 cents each for the Aguila's). Bang for the buck (pun intended!)?

donny h
12-08-2006, 03:49 PM
If you shoot off a couple hundred rounds, or more, you will not like the prices on the .17 ammo.

Roughly $10 per box of 50 on the .17hmr, $7 per50 on the .17mach2.

Everyone is raving about these new calibers, target shooters and hunters for sure, but I have yet to hear about anyone shooting 500 or 1000 rounds in a day, which I do all the time with .22lr.

I know guys who have declared the .17hmr the 'winner' between the two calibers, I don't know what to believe on that deal, the .17mach2 ammo is cheaper right now, but there is a wider selection of .17hmr.

If it was about table fare, shooting less than 50 rounds in a day, I would go with the .17hmr, but for plinking, I think .22lr is the way to go.

Gutpiler_Utahn
02-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Been chompin at the bit to post on this thread...

I tried out the Aguila Super Max's and found them to be a joy to shoot. I can't say for the accuracy, as I was just testing out different ammo in my new rifle and somehow my scope came loose. I will say it was the first time I noticed a kick from any of my .22's.

If you're looking to get some, they have plenty down in Orem at Gunnies. I picked mine up there for $3.00 per box, and they have both the solids and hollow points.

Sombeech
02-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Been chompin at the bit to post on this thread...

Hey, welcome to the forum, man. :cool2:

Gutpiler_Utahn
02-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Sombeech. Your video (which I originally found on the utah dnr (?) website) led me here. Glad I found this place. Seems like an interesting bunch.

Sombeech
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Your video (which I originally found on the utah dnr (?) website) led me here.

:lol8: Rabbit Spam! Nice.