PDA

View Full Version : Anybody into the old military bolt action rifles?

donny h
11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I've never owned a bolt action rifle, but the ammo for a couple calibers is so cheap I couldn't resist, so I ordered a Yugo Mauser and a Mosin Nagant.

I don't have either rifle yet (mail order deal), but I have the ammo, talk about putting the cart before the horse, so I can't wait for my annual new years desert shooting trip, go burn some ammo!

I got 600 rounds of 8mm for the Mauser for about $60, the rifle itself is only $120 (10 extra for a matching bolt).

The Mosin Nagant is the M38 model, it's a shorter rifle, with no bayonet, chambered in 7.62x54R. I have 800 rounds that cost me about $90, same as the rifle cost.

SKS was the mil-surp rifle to buy for years, but the days of cheap 7.62x39 appear to be gone, that ammo has taken a HUGE price jump, no more mil-surp ammo is coming in, and WOLF (Russian) isn't filling US orders completely, so if you manage to find some, it's gonna' cost ya', somewhere in the neighborhood of $200/1000 rounds.

One thing about these old rifles, they sure would make nice clubs if you're out of ammo...

DickHead
12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm not into them, but the mosin makes a good behind-the-seat-in-your-truck kinda gun.
Not very accurate, but fun to shoot.

donny h
12-06-2006, 02:43 PM
fun to shoot.

That's what I hear, I pick mine up tomorrow, can't wait!

I hear the M-38, since it's the shorter carbine, has huge recoil, and an unbelievable muzzle blast.

'They' actually claim it's unsafe to shoot the M-38 prone, because you'll ignite the grass and backblast yourself with dirt and gravel.

Sounds good to me. :2thumbs:

DickHead
12-06-2006, 04:25 PM
fun to shoot.

That's what I hear, I pick mine up tomorrow, can't wait!

I hear the M-38, since it's the shorter carbine, has huge recoil, and an unbelievable muzzle blast.

'They' actually claim it's unsafe to shoot the M-38 prone, because you'll ignite the grass and backblast yourself with dirt and gravel.

Sounds good to me. :2thumbs:

You *must* find somewhere to shoot it at night....and bring a camera!

PS: Most of the milsurp ammo is corrosive, so clean after every outing.

Sombeech
12-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Yep, get the camcorder ready. :cool2:

DickHead
12-06-2006, 04:46 PM
The other fun thing to do is take it to Lee Kay's 50 yard range...wait for everyone else to start shooting, get all nice and settled in....then light one off.....everyone will stop and look.....
:lol8:

Iceaxe
12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Not a bolt but I bought an SKS and 1000 rounds of ammo for $150 bucks. Everything is fun to shoot if its cheap :2thumbs:

DickHead
12-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Not a bolt but I bought an SKS and 1000 rounds of ammo for $150 bucks. Everything is fun to shoot if its cheap :2thumbs:

I've got one of those.....what a blast.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/Atc1man/Guns/MyYugopic1.jpg

donny h
12-06-2006, 06:48 PM

I don't have one, so I think we need a UUTAH shooting trip, and I nominate Sombeech as official filmographer type dude guy.

We can get some Tannerite. (google it, then youtube it, I promise you'll love it)

I have a 12gauge DragonsBreath shell in my hot little hands. (imagine a cloud of magnesium burning at 2000 degrees, 30 feet long)

Starting fluid. (take a can of ETHER based starting fluid, wrap it in a piece of burning newspaper, and shoot it with a .22. Hilarious, and as a bonus, it makes treehuggers cry)

Garbage bags of propane and toilet paper fuses. Hmmm. Maybe this isn't a shooting trip anymore and I'm just a pyro.

Anyways. If someone can bring an old acetylane tank, I'll bring the .308 tracer to set it off.

Sounds like fun to me.

Someone is SO gonna to jail.

Volunteers?

donny h
12-06-2006, 06:59 PM
A couple of good Tannerite explosions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlREkm5mvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwzWw1ciqc

There are 114 Tannerite clips on youtube.

Sombeech
12-06-2006, 09:38 PM

I don't have one, so I think we need a UUTAH shooting trip, and I nominate Sombeech as official filmographer type dude guy.

You've got it. I'll take the helmetcam.

What the hell is Tannerite?????

donny h
12-06-2006, 09:55 PM
What the hell is Tannerite?????

Awesome stuff.

It's a completely safe, two-part explosive, totally legal, that can only be detonated by being shot with a high power rifle. Safe to ship, too.

They call it a binary explosive, two powders, each is inert, but when mixed together and shot...BOOM.

On their website they show dude abusing the mixed powders, trying to set it off with a torch, electricity, slamming it with a hammer, nothing doing, only that high power rifle cartridge will work.

No handgun calibers, or .22lr, and I hear .17hmr is iffy.

It's not the sound that's so impressive, although they are VERY loud (5 miles loud), it's the SHOCKWAVE. It is tremendous. Quite unlike any firework or gunshot. More than a cannon blast.

Quite possibly the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
12-06-2006, 10:02 PM
so, where to purchase, and how much>?

donny h
12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Everything is fun to shoot if its cheap :2thumbs:

Ain't that the truth.

I used to have a bunch of so called 'assault weapons', and I lived where I had to drive at least two hours away to shoot them, so I wouldn't go unless I had a certain amount of ammo.

A little shooting trip cost $300 minimum, and took at least one whole day, then half the guns were illegal overnight, the whole thing was just too much hassle, expense, and stress (don't think I left guns at home just because they became illegal).

Now I'm starting over with a few guns, cheaper guns, and I run 15 minutes up Hobble Creek and pop .22 for pennies, it's just funner somehow than it used to be... low cost, low hassle, low stress.

donny h
12-06-2006, 10:17 PM
so, where to purchase, and how much>?

WOO HOO! I got Sombeech hooked!

Somebody besides me to PAY for the Tannerite! :roflol:

Is it the footage of the clothes dryer getting fragged that got you? It's a goodun.

These guys are happy to take your order, price is the downside, the stuff is kinda' expensive.

http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html

I found a recipe online to make it myself out of aluminum powder and ammonium nitrate, the problem is that this is a PRIMARY explosive, BOTH parts can be ignited on their own, so I decided I like having a face and arms, and will just pay for the Tannerite product.

donny h
12-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I forgot: price

1/2lb targets, 20 for $89 (6 for 43.50)

1lb, twice as loud, 10 for $89

The one time I witnissed Tannerite, my buddy was lining up the 1/2lb ones, shooting 2 or 3 at a time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DickHead
12-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Some warnings about tannerite:
it cannont be transported mixed. You must mix it when you intend on using it. If you've mixed it you gotta use it.

hedgehorn
02-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I am new here first post actually. I have a couple old military rifles.
2 mosins
1 M48 mauser
1 k31 Schmidt Rubin 7.5x55
Theyare alot of fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap. I like the Swiss K31 the best of the three, Its accurate and has the best open sights I have ever used. :2thumbs: Great forum you all have here.

shagster
02-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Can you make sure that I get an invite when this party goes down. I will even help suply cash for the Tannerite as long as I can be there to watch. :2thumbs: Sounds sweet to me..

Rev. Coyote
02-27-2007, 03:56 PM
The Mosin Nagant is the M38 model, it's a shorter rifle, with no bayonet, chambered in 7.62x54R. I have 800 rounds that cost me about $90, same as the rifle cost.

The Nagant is known for its accuracy. I got one at Roses about 15 years ago for $30. MAKE SURE taht ammo isnt the real cossosive stuff. I got some and it trasehed my barrell (didn't clean it right away).

I have a short Spanish Mauser (308) and a sweet old German Mauser (8 mm). I love the old bolt stuff. Also have an SKS.

My favorite, though, will always be the Remington pump .22 that I got from my Grandpa.

I ended up with ALL the family guns fro the past four generations because the rest of my family are gunphobes.

donny h
02-27-2007, 05:48 PM
The Nagant is known for its accuracy. I got one at Roses about 15 years ago for $30. MAKE SURE taht ammo isnt the real cossosive stuff. I got some and it trasehed my barrell (didn't clean it right away).

I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of my Mosin, I wondered if I should scope it (I've never owned a scope) but I've decided against it, it shoots too nice just like it is.

The ammo isn't the MOST corrosive out there, but it IS bad. I learned to field clean it with ammonia, it stalls the corrosion until it can get a proper cleaning.