PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Day Hikes in Utah

Brewhaha
11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Backpacker magazine just came out with it's list of America's Best Day Hikes. For Utah, they listed three (in order of "best"-ness):

1) Zion Narrows
2) Delicate Arch
3) Fairyland Loop in Bryce.

What would you rate as the top three day hikes in Utah? (Imagine you have only 3 days to live and must hike each day.) To broaden things, include canyoneering trips if you feel the need to do so.

tanya
11-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Backpacker magazine just came out with it's list of America's Best Day Hikes. For Utah, they listed three (in order of "best"-ness):

1) Zion Narrows
2) Delicate Arch
3) Fairyland Loop in Bryce.

What would you rate as the top three day hikes in Utah? (Imagine you have only 3 days to live and must hike each day.) To broaden things, include canyoneering trips if you feel the need to do so.

I LOVE #1 and #3... never did #2. Does it really deserve to be up there?

stefan
11-26-2006, 08:44 PM

oh now tanya ... we all know that utah is famous for its arches, and that arch there ... well, it's pretty DAMN hard to beat that arch, with it's basin below, the cliff beyond, the spectacular views in all directions, the la sal mountains, the boatloads of people, the fire scars, the rope grooves, ...

yeah it surely has every right to be up there.

i am shocked you've never been. i think every corner of southern utah deserves focus. :ne_nau:

Brewhaha
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM

As a destination, I think so. But as a hike? I don't find the hike especially thrilling other than when you come around the corner and finally see the arch appear out of nowhere...breathtaking.

tanya
11-26-2006, 08:57 PM

oh now tanya ... we all know that utah is famous for its arches, and that arch there ... well, it's pretty DAMN hard to beat that arch, with it's basin below, the cliff beyond, the spectacular views in all directions, the la sal mountains, the boatloads of people, the fire scars, the rope grooves, ...

i am shocked you've never been. i think every corner of southern utah deserves focus. :ne_nau:

You have hiked a lot. What are your top 3 hikes? :popcorn:

tanya
11-26-2006, 08:58 PM

As a destination, I think so. But as a hike? I don't find the hike especially thrilling other than when you come around the corner and finally see the arch appear out of nowhere...breathtaking.

What are your top 3 Brew! You have been around the Utah hiking quite a bit!

Iceaxe
11-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Hard to argue with the Backpacker mag list....

But just to be different here is my top three non-tech hikes:

Black Hole
Subway (from the top)
Buckskin Gulch

We need to get Tanya out of the kitchen.... err... I mean out of Zion for some fun exploring.

:popcorn:

tanya
11-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Hard to argue with the Backpacker mag list....

But just to be different here is my top three non-tech hikes:

Black Hole
Subway (from the top)
Buckskin Gulch

We need to get Tanya out of the kitchen.... err... I mean out of Zion for some fun exploring.

Leave Zion!?!?!?!?!? --- I do a little --- once in a while. :haha:

I have heard the name Black Hole. What's so great about it? Why is it your favorite? I put Kolob Creek way way way way above Subway! I would put a vote in for Subway if you add Das Boot to it. :2thumbs: Buckskin I am doing this spring I hope. We were going to do it this month but its full of water.

Iceaxe
11-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Read my pre qualifications..... I said non-techie.

The Black Hole is just an awesome hike :2thumbs:

The Black Hole of White Canyon
http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm
http://climb-utah.com/CM/Files/blackhole1.jpg

tanya
11-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Read my pre qualifications..... I said non-techie.

The Black Hole is just an awesome hike :2thumbs:

The Black Hole of White Canyon
http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

Those are not technical .. they just need a little bit of rope to do them. :ne_nau:

Of the ones I have done .... I would list:

1. Canaan Mountain to Eagle Crags
2. South Canyon to Vasey's Paradise - Grand Canyon
3. Maybe Bridge Mountain, but it would have to be with a snow storm and flash flooding like we has last June! I guess Bridge has that major climbing section though ---- Holding out to see if Buckskin fits the bill. :popcorn:
http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/chimney-aa_jpg.jpg
Chimney on Bridge Mountain

Iceaxe
11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Kolob is non-tech??? using the MIA exit/entrance blows..... and you still have one rappel.

I would NEVER list Das Boot as non-tech.... it has two manadory rappels, one of which can currently be avoided if the old log has not washed out.

just my opinion :popcorn:

tanya
11-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Kolob is non-tech??? using the MIA exit/entrance blows..... and you still have one rappel.

I would NEVER list Das Boot as non-tech.... it has two manadory rappels, one of which can currently be avoided if the old log has not washed out.

just my opinion :popcorn:

I was just kidding .... of course they are quite technical. (Sorry bad joke.. exhausted!) Kolob is really technical...... I have the Zion Canyon's listed from what I thought was easiest to hardest. Kolob is the hardest of the ones I have done. --->
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-national-park-canyoneering.htm

I was not thrilled with the MIA exit either. I was really not too thrilled with the Cougar we met close to the bottom of it! I don't know where it went after we scared it away but I am glad he was not impressed with that exit either!

Brewhaha
11-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Based on my limited experience (I haven't done The Narrows or Buckskin, etc.) here are some that I rate highly:

1) Chesler Park (including the Cracks) via Elephant Hill
2) Angel's Landing
3) Kane Gulch to Bullet Canyon (the longest hike I've ever taken because we were constantly going off trail to search for ruins and such)

Also, I'm curious about Shane's categorization of the Subway as non-technical. Could you elaborate?

R
11-27-2006, 09:03 AM
My top three so far...

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/lwhc/
http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/CheslerPark/
http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/PeekaBoo/

But there are about a quillion that deserve to go on the list.

I agree with some that Delicate Arch is a cool destination (which is why, after all, I got married there), but the hike itself is easy and relatively uninteresting. There's no reason not to see it, though, since it's so easy to access.

Iceaxe
11-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Also, I'm curious about Shane's categorization of the Subway as non-technical. Could you elaborate?

Experianced hikers or athletic individuals do not need technical gear or knowledge to descend the Subway. But you do need a 60 foot rope or webbing to use as a handline in a couple of places. And you might need to use some team work with your parnters.

Lots of people descent the Subway each year without the knowledge of how to rappel. This was also how I did my first descent of the Subway years ago.

First time I went through the Subway we carried 30' of webbing with a knot tied every 1' to use as a handline. Only problem with carrying 30' is you are forced to leave the webbing at the final obstacle. 60' of webbing allows you to loop the webbing around the bolts and retrieve it.

The major obstacles in the Subway are navigation, swimming and a couple of 5' to 8' drops that you do not want to jump because you might break an ankle.

Now days when I do the Subway I carry a harness and rope for my beginners or children so I can lower them down, but all the experienced or physical people just downclimb the obstacles with a spot from below or a handline from above.

tanya
11-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Just like Shane said, and Orderville Canyon is the same. In fact Orderville is easier to do without a rope than the Subway I think. --- but taking a rope for emergencies is always suggested!

Iceaxe
11-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I think Orderville is a little easier then Subway. At least here is no major navigation that will get you in trouble if ya mess it up. You will also need a short rope for handlines and such in Orderville.

The big deal with these obstacles in Orderville and Subway is if someone shows you the secret "oh my god" hand holds and the "I didn't see that" passage way they are pretty simple. But you are sure to miss some of the easy bypass type stuff the first time so you will want a rope to make up for your oversight.

These are the type obstacles that teenage boys blow right over and then say they don't know what the big deal is..... while middle aged beginners curse the route description for understating the problems.

tanya
11-27-2006, 03:15 PM
These are the type obstacles that teenage boys blow right over and then say they don't know what the big deal is..... while middle aged beginners curse the route description for understating the problems.

Exactly! And why those same kids get hurt and have to have SAR drag their butts :bootyshake: out of the canyons. :popcorn:

TreeHugger
11-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Anyone have any favorite day hikes that arent canyons or in the south??

Brewhaha
11-27-2006, 04:06 PM
How about not in Utah but close?

Up Vallecito Creek just north of Durango. A great backpacking area. I recommend going over Columbine Pass and into Chicago Basin. 3-4 days.

tanya
11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
My top three so far...

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/lwhc/
http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/CheslerPark/
http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/PeekaBoo/

But there are about a quillion that deserve to go on the list.

I agree with some that Delicate Arch is a cool destination (which is why, after all, I got married there), but the hike itself is easy and relatively uninteresting. There's no reason not to see it, though, since it's so easy to access.

Ouch! Those photos rock! :rockon:

tanya
11-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Based on my limited experience (I haven't done The Narrows or Buckskin, etc.) here are some that I rate highly:

1) Chesler Park (including the Cracks) via Elephant Hill
2) Angel's Landing
3) Kane Gulch to Bullet Canyon (the longest hike I've ever taken because we were constantly going off trail to search for ruins and such)

What is Chesler Park like? Why a favorite?
Angels Landing Rocks :rockon: No explanation needed. :mrgreen:
Where is Kane Gulch and why a favorite?

tanya
11-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Have 3 favorites Stefan? Is Arches on that list? :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
OK.... how about three of my favorite winter SLC area routes?

Fifth Water Hotsprings
http://climb-utah.com/WM/fifth.htm
http://climb-utah.com/WM/Files/Fifth1s.jpg

Frary Peak
http://climb-utah.com/WM/frary.htm
http://climb-utah.com/WM/Files/frary6.jpg

Donut Falls
http://climb-utah.com/WM/donut.htm
http://climb-utah.com/WM/Files/donut01.jpg

Now how about a couple others cough up there favorite winter SLC area hikes :2thumbs:

stefan
11-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Now how about a couple others cough up there favorite winter SLC area hikes :2thumbs:

1. just about any peak, ridge, bowl, glade you can tour and descend as that snow billows up on your chest

2. mt. van cott (sentimental reasons)

3. frary peak

Iceaxe
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM

Yeah.... I also had sex up there..... wonder if it was the same girl.....

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

tanya
11-27-2006, 05:46 PM

Yeah.... I also had sex up there..... wonder if it was the same girl.....

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I have a hard time thinking of you as ever having a sentimental moment. Stefan on the other hand is sweet and I am sure he has many of those kinds of moments. :mrgreen:

greyhair biker
11-27-2006, 07:39 PM
I love to hike the Wasatch ...mostly from Albion Basin up to Sugarloaf Pass to the tram at Snowbird down the ridges to the Phifferhorn. In there you can drop down to Red Pine or White Lakes & down to the Little Cottonwood cnyn road. OR drove up Little Cottonwood to Lisa Falls and hike up the falls & creek as high as you dare, climbing under & over the ice flows...awesome. Lastly, any trails that connect in the area of the Highline Trail near Mirror Lake in the Uintahs.
,,,Up here in southwest wyoming there are no trails with names...NONE, but they are all over the place...hundreds of miles of them. Sheepcreek Canyon to the south, south of Manila in the uintahs is the most geologically diverse area within a hundred miles and the least populated too.

stefan
11-27-2006, 08:04 PM

hmm ... you know choosing favorites is haarrd ... arches? well i've always loved devils garden and the endless fiery furnace. salt creek and the needles are pretty impressive too ... grand gulch from top to bottom and dark canyon are great ... halls creek>stevens cyn>coyote gulch is nice too ... robbers roost ... twin corral is spectacularly deep ... zion & deep creek narrows are manifique ... buckskin and the coyote buttes are superb ... all the forks of choprock (especially the south fork!!!) ... west canyon is simply unREAL ... riggs spring loop in bryce ... ad infinitum

i dunno ... i know most of those aren't day hikes ... but there really is too much when you think about it.

tanya
11-28-2006, 07:49 AM

hmm ... you know choosing favorites is haarrd ... arches? well i've always loved devils garden and the endless fiery furnace. salt creek and the needles are pretty impressive too ... grand gulch from top to bottom and dark canyon are great ... halls creek>stevens cyn>coyote gulch is nice too ... robbers roost ... twin corral is spectacularly deep ... zion & deep creek narrows are manifique ... buckskin and the coyote buttes are superb ... all the forks of choprock (especially the south fork!!!) ... west canyon is simply unREAL ... riggs spring loop in bryce ... ad infinitum

i dunno ... i know most of those aren't day hikes ... but there really is too much when you think about it.

I was not thinking best day hikes.. just best hikes in general. :nod: What is a backpack to one person is a day hike to another. Where do you live Stefan? :popcorn: I have not done Riggs Spring Loop in Bryce! Why is it on your favorite list. The Narrows is obvious. Its spectacular! Where is Devils Garden and the others?

Iceaxe
11-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I have a hard time thinking of you as ever having a sentimental moment.

You just need to climb Elephant Butte to see what I wrote in the register during my last visit :lol8:

:ne_nau:

tanya
11-28-2006, 10:01 AM
I have a hard time thinking of you as ever having a sentimental moment.

You just need to climb Elephant Butte to see what I wrote in the register during my last visit :lol8:

:ne_nau:

Do any of you in the photo know? I can't imagine it was anything sentimental... except maybe Dang... my beer can sprung a hole or something? :haha:

asdf
11-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Best 3 hikes.. I dont think you can name just 3.

I love the Maple Canyon Loop hike (fountain green)
Provo peak or the Cascade Saddle
No one likes Timp? You just need to do it on a sunday to keep the zoob factor down.

tanya
11-28-2006, 11:36 AM

No one likes Timp? You just need to do it on a sunday to keep the zoob factor down.

Are these near/in SLC or your favorites of all time? :popcorn:

Iceaxe
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
The three favorites I listed were all hikes you could do during the winter.

stefan
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM

I was not thinking best day hikes.. just best hikes in general. :nod: What is a backpack to one person is a day hike to another. Where do you live Stefan? :popcorn: I have not done Riggs Spring Loop in Bryce! Why is it on your favorite list. The Narrows is obvious. Its spectacular! Where is Devils Garden and the others?

well i don't know if a 7 day backpacking trip would be a dayhike to anyone but often i have found some of my favorite moments are backpacking others are canyoneering and still others are ski touring and many others are dayhikes in ancient forests. at this moment in my life i am living in boston. i moved from salt lake a year ago september for work for a short bit of time ... riggs spring? well, first it's in bryce and i love bryce ... but i love this area because of the views, the pink cliffs and most of all the trees. i think this area has one of the most diverse coniferous forests in utah (big lover of conifers ... my favorite plant) the lower subalpine upper montane is a nice place to be. devils garden and fiery furnace are a set of fins in northern arches, a wonderful area. salt creek is in the needles area of canyonlands. the whole of the needles district is wonderful with it's grooooooovy cedar mesa sandstone and it's super-eroded canyon walls. i love THE cedar mesa area of utah, for similar reasons, plus all of the wondeful ruins and rock art. grand gulch is one of the longest canyons in the area, and cuts its way through the cedar mesa sandstone almost all the way to the sanjuan river. essentially it cuts through the descending slab of cedar mesa off of the monument upwarp that is exposing the cedar mesa which lies well below the navajo. the cottonwoods and wet sections of this canyon are just great! the side canyons are wonderful, especially those near the san juan. the ruins ... well, they need no real mention from me. dark canyon on the other hand lies more to the north and cuts deeply below the cedar mesa, and wanders through the fantastic layers of shales, limestones and sandstones ... dazzling ... in fact you can see the bowing of the layers of the upwarp of rock as you descend the canyon and watch how certain layers are positioned above the canyon floor (very cool!). dark canyon in many ways is a unique gem for utah. buckskin cause it rocks ... and the paria narrows are just beautiful ... coyote buttes because well ... you know ... choprock is a tributary system in the middle of the escalante river with wonderful slots and narrows ... escalante is simply a magical place whether in the north or the south ... halls creek lines the southern section of CRNP lying on the east side of the waterpocket fold ... you can following it down (through the halls creek narrows) down further, than up to the top of the waterpocket fold with dazzling views in all directions, then down a number of the eastern escalante side canyons ... stevens canyon to the escalante and up coyote gulch which is utterly beautiful ... west canyon? we'll you'll just have to go there to find out ... quite a tedious approach from either end ... but what's there is OH so good. these really are just a handful of places i have really enjoyed, a number of tech canyons would rank high too.

there are just too many amazing places on the plateau ...

tanya
11-28-2006, 01:52 PM
well i don't know if a 7 day backpacking trip would be a dayhike to anyone but often i have found some of my favorite moments are backpacking others are canyoneering and still others are ski touring and many others are dayhikes in ancient forests. at this moment in my life i am living in boston.

I had no idea you were not close. :ne_nau: My dad is from Boston ------ Myers.

i moved from salt lake a year ago september for work for a short bit of time ... riggs spring? well, first it's in bryce and i love bryce ... but i love this area because of the views, the pink cliffs and most of all the trees. i think this area has one of the most diverse coniferous forests in utah (big lover of conifers ... my favorite plant) the lower subalpine upper montane is a nice place to be.

I love Bryce too, but more of the view than the hiking. I am going to check that hike out!

devils garden and fiery furnace are a set of fins in northern arches, a wonderful area. salt creek is in the needles area of canyonlands. the whole of the needles district is wonderful with it's grooooooovy cedar mesa sandstone and it's super-eroded canyon walls. i love THE cedar mesa area of utah, for similar reasons, plus all of the wondeful ruins and rock art. grand gulch is one of the longest canyons in the area, and cuts its way through the cedar mesa sandstone almost all the way to the sanjuan river. essentially it cuts through the descending slab of cedar mesa off of the monument upwarp that is exposing the cedar mesa which lies well below the navajo. the cottonwoods and wet sections of this canyon are just great! the side canyons are wonderful, especially those near the san juan. the ruins ... well, they need no real mention from me. dark canyon on the other hand lies more to the north and cuts deeply below the cedar mesa, and wanders through the fantastic layers of shales, limestones and sandstones ... dazzling ... in fact you can see the bowing of the layers of the upwarp of rock as you descend the canyon and watch how certain layers are positioned above the canyon floor (very cool!). dark canyon in many ways is a unique gem for utah.

:2thumbs:

buckskin cause it rocks ...

So far Buckskin gets the most votes! :popcorn:

and the paria narrows are just beautiful ... coyote buttes because well ... you know ... choprock is a tributary system in the middle of the escalante river with wonderful slots and narrows ... escalante is simply a magical place whether in the north or the south ... halls creek lines the southern section of CRNP lying on the east side of the waterpocket fold ... you can following it down (through the halls creek narrows) down further, than up to the top of the waterpocket fold with dazzling views in all directions, then down a number of the eastern escalante side canyons ... stevens canyon to the escalante and up coyote gulch which is utterly beautiful ... west canyon? we'll you'll just have to go there to find out ... quite a tedious approach from either end ... but what's there is OH so good. these really are just a handful of places i have really enjoyed, a number of tech canyons would rank high too.

I am hoping to get out that way this weekend, but the snow today might ruin those plans.

there are just too many amazing places on the plateau ...

Iceaxe
11-28-2006, 03:43 PM
So far Buckskin gets the most votes! :popcorn:

What else would you expect from the worlds longest slot canyon :five:

TreeHugger
11-28-2006, 05:52 PM

Actually, I love Timp, although I hear people bad mouth it a lot, cant figure out why. The scenery is fantastic, it's got a lot of everything in the hike, you almost always see mountain goats, and the views from the top are amazing. It gets my vote for a top 3.

I also really love White Pine for a day hike, again because of the diverse terrain and it's decently long and super pretty. It's particulary great when snowy!

I really love Observation Point in Zion as well. Again (I must really like variety) you have varied terrain and spectacular views and just an amazing hike. Cant go wrong.

stefan
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
I had no idea you were not close. :ne_nau:
yeah, but as i have spent most of my life in salt lake, it is where my heart is.

I love Bryce too, but more of the view than the hiking. I am going to check that hike out!
well, i'd be interested in what you think of it ... i mean, it doesn't have the most spectacular forest, and you don't really have views below the rim and i know a lot of people wouldn't place it high on their list, but i included because of the views, the trees and some of the times i have spent there. also along the southern part of the trail along the rim, it's kinda nice to head off trail to the rock out-croppings, to stare down the vertical cliffs to a sea of forest with the white cliffs off in the distance.

I am hoping to get out that way this weekend, but the snow today might ruin those plans.
where were you planning on heading?

tanya
11-28-2006, 08:26 PM
[quote=tanya]well, i'd be interested in what you think of it ... i mean, it doesn't have the most spectacular forest, and you don't really have views below the rim and i know a lot of people wouldn't place it high on their list, but i included because of the views, the trees and some of the times i have spent there. also along the southern part of the trail along the rim, it's kinda nice to head off trail to the rock out-croppings, to stare down the vertical cliffs to a sea of forest with the white cliffs off in the distance.

where were you planning on heading?

I love Bryce. If I could pick one place that has initial shock value for downright awesome beauty --- that is Bryce Canyon. It's just like WOW!

Sort of in that area... Yellow Rock or White Pocket

tanya
11-28-2006, 08:30 PM
I really love Observation Point in Zion as well. Again (I must really like variety) you have varied terrain and spectacular views and just an amazing hike. Cant go wrong.

Observation Point is a great one! I love that steady uphill climb (hate the downhill though) and that section with Echo Canyon and of course the view point at the end of the trail! That's where one of my avatar photos is from. :haha:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/zion-national-park_jpg.jpg

erial
11-28-2006, 08:43 PM
What issue of Backpacker was the listing of the day hikes? Would it be November? I can't find my copy.

Anyway, any loop hike in the Needles District would be at the top of my must do list. The bigger the loop the better, go up Peek-a-boo from Squaw Flat, hang a right at Lost Canyon and eventually make way over to Chesler Park before the long walk back to the campground. The trails in Needles are well made. You can cover a lot of ground on them.

#2 for me would have to be the Coyote Gulch loop also mentioned by others. That hike covers a variety of terriority after stepping off from the metal tank although the trek back via the sandy exit near the confluence with the Escalante can be taxing, but what scenery.

#3 might be Fish and Owl Creek Canyons over in Cedar Mesa although there are other loop hikes in that area that contain treasures equally as exciting. Been ten years since my one and only visit. Need to get back there.

A subset of great day hikes ought to be point to pointers. East Entrance of Zion down to Weeping Rock would be an easy one. Hitch or get someone to drop you off at the start and eventually take the park bus shuttle back to your own car after the hike's completion. Starting from Lava Point with arrival at Grotto might be a better choice but involve a longer car shuttle. Or go all out and do the Bo Beck Trek: Kolob to East Entrance or vice versa; whichever, it would actually be a nightdaynight hike.

Canaan Mtn (Water Canyon to Eagle Crags) would be a nifty hardcore point to pointer, and involve a long shuttle.

An easier shuttle or hitchhike could be used to do the Boulder Mail trail that somewhat parallels rt 12 near the town of Escalante. Approach with caution, this hike will go postal on you if you're not in shape for a romp thru rolling slickrock.

tanya
11-28-2006, 08:51 PM
What issue of Backpacker was the listing of the day hikes? Would it be November? I can't find my copy.

Is this oneline Somewhere?

East Entrance of Zion down to Weeping Rock would be an easy one. Hitch or get someone to drop you off at the start and eventually take the park bus shuttle back to your own car after the hike's completion.

Make it a bit more interesting and add Cable Mountain, Deertrap Mountain and if the weather and water in the canyon permits a bit of Echo Canyon. If I remember right that was 26 miles. My toes hurt after that! :2thumbs:

Starting from Lava Point with arrival at Grotto might be a better choice but involve a longer car shuttle. Or go all out and do the Bo Beck Trek: Kolob to East Entrance or vice versa; whichever, it would actually be a nightdaynight hike.

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!! :roflol: Only insane people do the 52 mile hike across Zion in one day! .. Like Bo and you? Is this Jeff? :2thumbs:

Canaan Mtn (Water Canyon to Eagle Crags) would be a nifty hardcore point to pointer, and involve a long shuttle.

My favorite!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

stefan
11-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Sort of in that area... Yellow Rock or White Pocket[/color]

go to white pocket if you want to spend a bit of time, yellow rock for a short jaunt.

how bout some recent photos of zion in the snow?

stefan
11-28-2006, 08:56 PM
[quote="tanya"]
ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!! :roflol: Only insane people do the 52 mile hike across Zion in one day! .. Like Bo :2thumbs:

yeah, i did it as a 3 night backpack which was quite nice. i know some people like to rush things, but what's the point of watching everything speed by you at the speed of light?

tanya
11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Sort of in that area... Yellow Rock or White Pocket[/color]

go to white pocket if you want to spend a bit of time, yellow rock for a short jaunt.

I want a long killer hike again this weekend! I am hoping the snow does not make the road too difficult to pass. White Pocket it is! We headed out there one weekend, not long ago and Bo got a little crazy in a mud puddle and the rover stalled all day until it dried out. We got rides all the way to Kanab quickly then just turned around to see if it worked.. and it did. I was not feeling like hiking so I got a kick out of not having to hike that weekend. :haha:

tanya
11-28-2006, 09:03 PM
[quote=tanya]
ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!! :roflol: Only insane people do the 52 mile hike across Zion in one day! .. Like Bo :2thumbs:

yeah, i did it as a 3 night backpack which was quite nice. i know some people like to rush things, but what's the point of watching everything speed by you at the speed of light?

Its one of those challenge things. Jeff who did it is 57 (I think, not sure) and Bo is 50. Impressive! The younger people that tried did not make it. I don't move at the speed of light (as Shane says I dont do anything too fast) because I like to take lots of photos. If a hike has little to take photos of or I have done it before and dont want new photos I can zip through pretty quick, but nothing like the long legged guys. A young guy that works for Bo, Woody... 6'5 or close? Did that Water Canyon to Eagle Crags between 7am and 3pm in one day!!!! Yeeeouch!!!!

stefan
11-28-2006, 09:17 PM

Its one of those challenge things. Jeff who did it is 57 and Bo is 50. Impressive! The younger people that tried did not make it. I don't move at the speed of light (as Shane says I dont do anything too fast) because I like to take lots of photos. If a hike has little to take photos of or I have done it before and dont want new photos I can zip through pretty quick, but nothing like the long legged guys. A young guy that works for Bo, Woody... 6'5 or close? Did that Water Canyon to Eagle Crags between 7am and 3pm in one day!!!! Yeeeouch!!!!

yeah yeah ... i know ... and if i lived in zion and did these hikes ALL the friggin time i'd probably look for interesting challeneges too. it is a testament to endurance and health ... kudos to them!

tanya
11-29-2006, 10:50 PM

You do love the white stuff, but you have read my mind. I just redid my main Zion album. And am redoing anything that is old and done with small photos, which includes..... the Snow shots! I want to get out and get some of Zion when some snow finally sticks --- none yet!

Here is my redone Zion album. I will replace some of the photos in it as I get some more good ones. I really am happy with this one though. :nod:

New Album
http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index30.htm

Old Winter one that I will redo soon!
http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index36.htm

If weather cooperates I will redo my Flash Flood album as well. :nod:

tanya
11-29-2006, 10:55 PM

Anyway, any loop hike in the Needles District would be at the top of my must do list. The bigger the loop the better, go up Peek-a-boo from Squaw Flat, hang a right at Lost Canyon and eventually make way over to Chesler Park before the long walk back to the campground. The trails in Needles are well made. You can cover a lot of ground on them.

#2 for me would have to be the Coyote Gulch loop also mentioned by others. That hike covers a variety of terriority after stepping off from the metal tank although the trek back via the sandy exit near the confluence with the Escalante can be taxing, but what scenery.

#3 might be Fish and Owl Creek Canyons over in Cedar Mesa although there are other loop hikes in that area that contain treasures equally as exciting. Been ten years since my one and only visit. Need to get back there.

A subset of great day hikes ought to be point to pointers. East Entrance of Zion down to Weeping Rock would be an easy one. Hitch or get someone to drop you off at the start and eventually take the park bus shuttle back to your own car after the hike's completion. Starting from Lava Point with arrival at Grotto might be a better choice but involve a longer car shuttle. Or go all out and do the Bo Beck Trek: Kolob to East Entrance or vice versa; whichever, it would actually be a nightdaynight hike.

An easier shuttle or hitchhike could be used to do the Boulder Mail trail that somewhat parallels rt 12 near the town of Escalante. Approach with caution, this hike will go postal on you if you're not in shape for a romp thru rolling slickrock.

Is this Jeff!?!?!?! The crazy hiker that did Zion in a day with Bo? The handsome guy behind Bo in the photo? It has to be! :2thumbs:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/133/560/1600/farfarfest.jpg

erial
11-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Yep, the one and only. Bo had me on a short leash. And for the record that photo was taken at the only point in the whole hike that was flat and non-sandy. Which explains somewhat the temporary smiles on the faces of the subject crazy hikers.

tanya
11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I knew it! ----sneaky :haha: I was there at the end. You still had lots of energy to keep going! Yeah.. that was not your average 52 mile hike... all those that dropped out with testify to that one! :2thumbs:

tanya
11-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Is this Jeff!?!?!?! The crazy hiker that did Zion in a day with Bo? The handsome guy behind Bo in the photo? It has to be! :2thumbs:

The picture isn't showing...

Odd? I see it? See it now?

asdf
12-01-2006, 04:46 AM

Are these near/in SLC or your favorites of all time? :popcorn:

Some of my favorites, but not really my top 3 .
I know how amazing all the central/southern Utah hikes are but i am surprised no one has listed kings peak or anything in the north half of the state.
I do timp at least once a year, it a really good hike. If you have not done it a suggest you get going.

Scott Card
12-01-2006, 10:03 AM
My top three, (at least today as I sit here) which seem to be some of the rest of you folks' favorites:

1. Subway (Das boot route if you have the gear and know what you're doing)
2. Orderville Canyon
3. Provo Peak from south fork of Provo Canyon.

These are the hikes I love. Yes, two are "slot" canyons but great hikes. Now if we are talking technical canyons..... that is another thing all together.

asdf
12-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Provo Peak from south fork of Provo Canyon.

Are you taking the big springs trail and then ridge walking to Provo Peak.

Scott Card
12-01-2006, 11:33 AM

That is the one. :2thumbs: I was a 5th grade camp counselor for Provo School District while I was in college and I hiked that hike for 5 weeks straight for three years "motivating" 120-130 fifth graders each week to make it to lightening ridge. It is still one of my favorite hikes.

asdf
12-03-2006, 10:05 AM

That is the one. :2thumbs: I was a 5th grade camp counselor for Provo School District while I was in college and I hiked that hike for 5 weeks straight for three years "motivating" 120-130 fifth graders each week to make it to lightening ridge. It is still one of my favorite hikes.

I have done that hike one time, It was fantastic! We were going to camp on th e saddle then summit cascade in the morning. But my buddy cut his finger up pretty bad. We camped on right on the ridge, rocky but the view is about as good as it gets.
Next summer I am going to bike this trail, I know there will be alot of pushing up the Big Springs side, But it will be a very long downhill ride down Dry Fork and Rock Canyon.

tanya
12-08-2006, 03:38 PM
:cool2:

I LOVE your new avatar! :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
12-08-2006, 04:50 PM
I just set Scout Lookout with Bo as my desktop - what an awesome shot!

tanya
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Thank you. :five: I won a photo contest with that shot this year. :2thumbs: Its on the freebee guides everywhere around here.

http://www.kanabguide.com/

greyhair biker
12-08-2006, 09:16 PM
:hail2thechief: I had no idea! I just saw an awesome shot that I'd of liked to take!

taatmk
01-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Sharing my 2 cents worth:

Three of my favorite non technical Utah hikes include,

#1 Grand Gulch from Kane Gulch Ranger Station out though Bullit Canyon
#2 Hike to the top of Notch Peak in the House Range
#3 Black Hole in White Canyon
#4 The Subway in Zion

Sorry, lost count. Was never good at math.

tanya
01-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Sharing my 2 cents worth:

Three of my favorite non technical Utah hikes include,

#3 Black Hole in White Canyon
#4 The Subway in Zion

Sorry, lost count. Was never good at math.

Where are these at?

Brewhaha
01-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Where are these at?
[/color]

Grand Gulch is in SE Utah.

See this TR: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3924

RedRoxx
01-07-2007, 09:14 AM
For photos:
1. Coyote Buttes area
2. Backside of the Reef in the Swell on a stormy day
3. Golden Cathedral in Neon/Escalante slots

General--longer dayhikes or maybe overnighters
1. Dark Canyon via Sundance
2. Hackberry
3. No Mans' Mesa via Lick Wash

Backpacks non tech
1. Dirty Devil River
2. The Swell/Muddy/Chimney Canyons
3. Upper Paria and sidecanyons

A little scrambling/wading
1. Little Death Hollow/ Wolverine
2. Slickhorn Canyons
3. Buckskin

Notice how I cleverly create my own categories and still can't cover it all!!

asdf
01-07-2007, 09:17 AM
For photos:
1. Coyote Buttes area
2. Backside of the Reef in the Swell on a stormy day
3. Golden Cathedral in Neon/Escalante slots

General--longer dayhikes or maybe overnighters
1. Dark Canyon via Sundance
2. Hackberry
3. No Mans' Mesa via Lick Wash

Backpacks non tech
1. Dirty Devil River
2. The Swell/Muddy/Chimney Canyons
3. Upper Paria and sidecanyons

A little scrambling/wading
1. Little Death Hollow/ Wolverine
2. Slickhorn Canyons
3. Buckskin

now this is a good list.

denaliguide
02-23-2007, 03:55 AM
1. cedar mesa. down shieks canyon into grand gulch, down to bullet canyon up to jailhouse ruin and then out a tricky little set of moki steps in the canyon to the north and back to the top of shieks.

2. canyonlands. any of the loop possibilities in the needles starting from squaw flats campground. out to elephant canyon and over into lost and back to squaw flats. but the best would be horseshoe canyon into the great gallery.

3. escalante. the coyote gulch loop. other than too many people.

Iceaxe
02-23-2007, 07:41 AM

You created a list that would take most folks a of couple years to tick off :nod: