PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report St. George Rides - Post Thanksgiving

nelsonccc
11-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Friday
We headed out to the arizona strip, went up over the black ridge and to the Cedar Pocket Overlook. Fantastic trip, the overlook looks down onto I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge and the Cedar Pocket Exit. Chilly up top at 5,200 ft. There was a sign on the road by the Gypsum mine that said the road was closed for winter. We didn't encounter any mud, snow, just lots of rock. Overall trip was 43 miles with about 3,000 ft elevation gain. Sorry no pics.

Saturday
Colder day by far than Friday. We headed up above St. George to the Turkey Farm and the jeep road that runs from the Yellow Knolls to Leeds along the base of the Pine Valley mountain range. We covered 58 miles total (24 each way). It was chilly at the summits 5,326 ft.. The road goes up over two separate summits. We encountered lots of quads (why will they never let you pass?) with those four tires kicking up lots of dust. We would ride up behind them, rev the engine and try to pass. I actually had one guy move over to keep me from passing, so I downshifted my Yamaha two stroke 250 and shot by him lie he was standing still. Some stats from the GPS, max speed 61.8 mph, moving average 18.8 mph, moving time 2hrs 4 minutes, and stopped time 1.5 hours. Great trip with lots of fantastic scenery. One particular spot where you can look down into the conyons above the Red Cliffs area. I've heard rumors that there are actually a few canyoneering routes in this area. I can beleive it, we scouted a few canyons that slotted up and looked like they would require a rappel or two. Enjoy the pics.

accadacca
11-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Nice report. :2thumbs: We were just talking about a trip down that way. It is beyond me why some people don't pull over. We were following a truck for several miles this weekend before he finally pulled over. Its not fun eating the dust either. Just simple trail etiquette is what they need to learn. I have yet to find a vehicle that travels as fast as we do on our bikes...pull the hell over. Ok don't get me started, I'm done. :haha: