PDA

View Full Version : Where should we camp in Esclante / Grand Staircase?

DiscGo
11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I haven't spent much time in this area, but my wife and friend and I are going down on Friday. We are trying to plan a 48 hour trip with as much cool stuff as possible. Any ideas?

tanya
11-22-2006, 02:29 PM
I haven't spent much time in this area, but my wife and friend and I are going down on Friday. We are trying to plan a 48 hour trip with as much cool stuff as possible. Any ideas?

The Grand Staircase is a big place.... are you headed to the area near the towns of Escalante, Kanab or closer to Bryce and the east side of Zion?

DiscGo
11-22-2006, 04:09 PM
You know, I'm not actually sure. All I know is we plan on hiking to the Golden Cathedral.

Scott Card
11-22-2006, 04:35 PM
I have always made base camp the state park just west of Escalante then head out on day trips except for Neon and Choprock Canyon hikes. If I head out over night on hikes then I would stay at the junction of Neon and the Escalante river. Another popular spot is at Fence Canyon and the Escalante. Of course, I have no idea what is there since the massive flooding of a month or so ago. All the spots I just mentioned were covered with several feet of raging water so there may be different camp sites created or existing sites trashed. If it is a day hike, I would just stay in the campground at the state park. Nice to have a shower after a long day. :2thumbs:

Do you rappel? There is nothing like rapping into the Golden Cathedral. One of my top 5 rappels.

Scott Card
11-22-2006, 04:38 PM
If it is hiking you are doing, you may also want to check out Calf Creek falls. There is a first come first served camp ground there also. Great stroll with cliff dwelling and rock art along the way. Pretty tame hike which would be perfect this time of year. I'll stop now and let others post suggestions.

DiscGo
11-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Do you rappel? There is nothing like rapping into the Golden Cathedral. One of my top 5 rappels.

No, I don't repel yet. I climb, so I have some of the gear I need, but I haven't quite reached repelling / cayoneering status yet. It is on my list of things for 2007.

When we were down in San Rafael Swells a couple of weeks ago, I was really wishing that I already had that as a hobby. I think it is more difficult learning these things alone. That is one reason why I really appreciate this site.

stefan
11-23-2006, 05:21 AM
you sort of have two choices, i think. one would be to spend much of the time backpacking/dayhiking within the escalante river near neon canyon OR do a bunch of day hikes from the road, perhaps an overnight or two.

definitely check out the road to egypt bench. call the ranger station and ask about the status of it. they may have regraded it already, but it was pretty rough when we went through.

if you were going to backpack in the escalante, there are a number of washes to check out near neon, including main fork of choprock canyon which has some nice narrows (nontechnical), and twentyfive mile wash. ringtail canyon (slot) is pretty cool too.

dayhikes would be great also, but the daylight hours are waning so ...

Win
11-23-2006, 06:19 AM
I have limited experience out there but here's a few suggestions.

1) Go over Hell's Backbone Rd. Great views nice drive. Saturn should be fine.

2) Short one here: From the Escalante River TH climb up to the Hundred Hands panel. Ask at the BLM in Escalante for directions. Other glyphs in the same area.

3) Devil's Garden off Hole in the Rock

4) Like said before Spooky, Peeekaboo slots

5) Pertrified Forest State Park: nice campground.

Bring the Jeep, it will just make life easier. Lot's of backroads to explore.

Win

stefan
11-24-2006, 03:41 PM
well, to follow up a comment i made in my post, i spoke with the ranger station in escalante ... though the road has been graded, they do recommend a high clearance vehicle, but said it was passable.

looking forward to your photos.