PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder surgery

Uliston
11-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I am going in for SLAP lesion (shoulder) repair surgery next week. Not quite sure what this is exactly, but I think it's to repair some torn cartilage. I wasn't too worried about it until the doctor told me I'd probably be in a sling for 7 to 8 weeks and wouldn't be doing any skiing this year and that it will take about 9 months to a year to get back to 100 percent. This seem harsh and makes me a bit uneasy. Have any of you had the procedure and can you tell me about your recovery? Does it really take this long to recover?

savanna3313
11-21-2006, 01:37 PM
I am going in for SLAP lesion (shoulder) repair surgery next week. Not quite sure what this is exactly, but I think it's to repair some torn cartilage. I wasn't too worried about it until the doctor told me I'd probably be in a sling for 7 to 8 weeks and wouldn't be doing any skiing this year and that it will take about 9 months to a year to get back to 100 percent. This seem harsh and makes me a bit uneasy. Have any of you had the procedure and can you tell me about your recovery? Does it really take this long to recover?

I haven't personally been through it, but my sister stayed with me during her recovery when she had to have it done a few years ago. Hers was a torn rotator cuff with cartilage repair, so I am guessing it's close in nature. The recovery time is what she was given. One thing that helped was her physical therapy sessions. At first it was a couple of times a week, and then once a week for a long time. She seemed pretty much back to normal after about 6 mos or so, but I know she had to curtail certain activities for longer than that. She also slept in a recliner during the first few weeks of recovery because the bed was too uncomfortable. Good luck to you! :2thumbs:

psl53
11-21-2006, 03:11 PM
until the doctor told me I'd probably be in a sling for 7 to 8 weeks and wouldn't be doing any skiing this year and that it will take about 9 months to a year to get back to 100 percent.
This Thursday will be three weeks that I had a ACL, cartilage repair and partial Knee replacement. My Doctor were off by half. In their defense they have never done all three. I would use their recovery as a loose guide. It could be a little more than they are letting on.
Good Luck Nights are the worst.
Peter