PDA

View Full Version : Xbox - Wireless Networking - help!!!

Sombeech
11-21-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm tired of splicing and crimping Cat5 cables for Xbox gatherings. I'm looking to go wireless. There must be a way!

I'm looking to go with something like a wireless router for each Xbox. But, can you have multiple routers communicating with one another?

An ideal setup is 4 Xboxes, 4 Wireless Routers. Each Router is connected to the Xbox via 3' Cat5 line. Is something like this possible? Or can there only be one router "in charge", and the rest of the machines have to be reading from that master?

Udink
11-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't think what you're proposing will work. Basically, what you need is a wireless network adapter for each Xbox, not a wireless router for each Xbox.

I think something like this would suit your needs, but you'd need one for each Xbox and they're a little pricey ($100 apiece):
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-R86-00001-Wireless-G-Xbox-Adapter/dp/B0000C5FMJ

Using one of those adapters for each Xbox, you'd only need a single wireless router to connect all of them on the network.

DiscGo
11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
4 wireless xboxes, would run too slow (at least for me).

Are your xboxes going to be in the same room? I have 4 xboxes in my house, all of which are hooked up to the Internet but I have cable along the outside of my house.

If they are in the same room, you can hook up one router in the room, and run cords from that one, instead of trying to do all four from the garage, or downstairs.

If this didn't help, let me know. I know a lot about xboxes and setting them up. I'm sure we can think of something that will work for you.

Sombeech
11-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I don't think what you're proposing will work. Basically, what you need is a wireless network adapter for each Xbox, not a wireless router for each Xbox.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. I went to Best Buy and saw Microsoft's own wireless adapter per Xbox, at $99 each, PLUS you have to get the router.

There's GOTTA be a cheaper way, I mean, C'mon. We're getting screwed. Laptop wireless adapters are 40 bucks a piece now!

I'm gonna snoop around the Microsoft Forum and see what I can find out.