PDA

View Full Version : OSU Michigan Rematch?

DiscGo
11-21-2006, 07:20 AM
My wife is from Ohio, and we are big Buckeye fans. Do any of you care that they beat Michigan and what do you guys think of the prospect of a rematch?

I want the rematch and here is why:

The whole point of the BCS is supposed to be having the two best teams play in the championship. Michigan is definitely a lot better than N.D. and USC. If Michigan doesn't rematch, they should do away with the BCS (which I would be cool with, because I hate the BCS).

Being a huge OSU fan, I didn't want a rematch because I just wanted the title, but now I do and I'll tell you why:

1. Michigan is better than the rest of the teams in NCAA Football.
2. Troy Smith would be the first OSU QB to beat Michigan 4 times
3. OSU's center will not mis-snap the ball twice and cut our turnovers in half (helping us win by more than 3 points).
4. Michigan's Hart said that OSU is nothing special and if they play again Michigan will beat OSU. I would like to see Hart eat those words!
5. Another victory against Michigan will help OSU's stats in that rivalry (beating them twice a year will help us catch up quickly :))
6. Llyod Carr said that this was the best team he has ever coached, so I like the idea of the OSU team being better. And it would be cool to have them be beat twice.

Iceaxe
11-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Lets cut the bullshit and get a real national champion. We need a sixteen team playoff where every major conference has at least one automatic birth. That is the ONLY way you can earn a real National Title.

Utah was screwed in 2004, they probably had the best team in the country.

Lets see the two unbeaten...... I vote for a Boise State vs OSU National Championship game.

DiscGo
11-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Boise State? You gotta' be kidding me. Boise State and BYU would be a fine game, but that is a whole different level of ball than Ohio State.

I agree though, the BCS sucks and there should be a tournament.

Iceaxe
11-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Boise State? You gotta' be kidding me.

That's what all the big boys say until they get a whoppin'

If OSU is really beater then prove it to me with a REAL playoff..... not some bullshit smoke and mirrors :2thumbs:

A mytical National title is worthless....

DiscGo
11-23-2006, 09:07 AM
If OSU is really beater then prove it to me with a REAL playoff.....

I couldn't agree more! I hate the BCS and I really want a playoff. How many teams do you think should be in the playoff and what teams should they be?

My friend says that every conference champion should go, but I just don't think that the WAC (for example) is the same level of play as the BIG 10 or the PAC 10. I would like to see the top 25 teams, plus 1 wild-card. But that would be a big tourney.

DiscGo
11-23-2006, 09:14 AM
That's what all the big boys say until they get a whoppin'

What "big boys" has Boise State played?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/DiscGolfDiver/boise.jpg

It seems like Boise State's only real game was Oregon St (and BSU looked great!). Most of the teams that BSU has played have losing records. I don't mean to bash your team. I think they have looked good this year, I just don't think they are in the same category as OSU.

accadacca
11-23-2006, 10:01 AM
This is the same argument that was had when the Utes went undefeated a couple years ago. They got stuck playing Pitt high in Phoenix. Sure it appears (well they are) that some of these conferences are superior. The WAC and MWC are very rarely good. However, there are years that a team rises up out of one of these conferences and one has to take note of the score and the way that they dominate opponents. The only way to really tell how they would do against a bigger conference is to TEST them. A playoff is a whole different ball game, just look at the NFL. One game and your done and who's to say who would win. The system does suck and the real reason it sucks is because its all talk...no facts. :blahblah:

Iceaxe
11-23-2006, 10:24 AM
My friend says that every conference champion should go, but I just don't think that the WAC (for example) is the same level of play as the BIG 10 or the PAC 10. I would like to see the top 25 teams, plus 1 wild-card. But that would be a big tourney.

I agree with your friend. If every conference is not allowed to send their champion then its not a true national championship and just more smoke and mirrors.

I think the polls are bogus and should be left completely out of the equation. The polls are just an opinion.... heck, the different polls don't even agree with each other.

There are 12 conferences..... so you need a 16 team format. The 4 extra spots can be divided up any way you like..... maybe 4 open spots for the 4 highest ranked teams without an automatic berth. but every teams needs a way to play themselves into the title without regard to opinion polls if you want a true national champion.

And yeah..... I agree some conferences are much stronger.... but does that mean a strong team from a weak conference should be given no chance?

A side benefit is the weak conferences will grow stronger with a level playing field, and the strong conference will lose talent to the mid-majors. And I think this lose of talent is what really has the big boys scared.

Settle it on the field :2thumbs:

:cool2:

Iceaxe
11-23-2006, 10:41 AM
And if you really want to play the who did Boise beat game...... they hammered Oregon State 42-14 ... this would be the same Oregon State that beat then #3 and defending mythical national champion USC.

But don't worry.... you can rest assured that the BCS will screw Boise out of a quality opponent in the Fiesta Bowl the same way they did Utah.

Utah would have been playing Auburn in 2004 if the BCS was really about the quality of game and not the money and protecting the fairy tale that the smaller conferences can't produce a championship quality team.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/CFB/Jellies/Large/112.gif

DiscGo
11-24-2006, 10:09 PM
First of all, I just want you guys to know that I also think that UofU was good in 2004. Urban Meyer did a great job with that program! I guess I contest that if you had a top 25 tournament that the 2004 UofU and the 2006 BYU, & Boise State would still be in the tournament. But as far as the division champion going, why not just invite Temple and Buffalo to form and division and you'll be guaranteed a spot every year?

Iceaxe
11-24-2006, 10:36 PM
All I'm saying is every team needs a way to play themselves to a National Championship without regards to opinion polls if you want a true National Champ.

otherwise.... lets just crown the SEC champ the national champ, because lets be honest. That is the toughest conferance top to bottom :haha:

And yeah.... you can really tweak the format. Maybe force the MAC and WAC, Conferance USA and Sun Belt, MWC and the Big East, to have a playoff and only the 3 winners are invited to the big dance. That could get you to an 8 seed bracket..... but you still have to do something with the 4 independants.

Or we can just completely dump the polls and enjoy the games :2thumbs:

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
11-24-2006, 10:43 PM
But as far as the division champion going, why not just invite Temple and Buffalo to form and division and you'll be guaranteed a spot every year?

Oh.... you mean like the Big East does now?

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

DiscGo
11-25-2006, 02:11 PM
lets just crown the SEC champ the national champ, because lets be honest. That is the toughest conference top to bottom :haha:

I don't think the SEC is that impressive at all. I think the Big 10 is a lot better, but I'm an OSU fan.

I think having a small tournament with the smaller conferences would be a good idea, but I think only the top 2 teams from that tournament should go.

shanehadman
11-30-2006, 07:25 AM
I vote for a Boise State vs OSU National Championship game.

Hell yea I agree...enough of the teams that have been beat already in the BCS Championship game....thats horse shit!!!!

Iceaxe
11-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah baby.... I want to see undefeated against undefeated :2thumbs:

DiscGo
11-30-2006, 10:36 AM
And if you really want to play the who did Boise beat game...... they hammered Oregon State 42-14 ... this would be the same Oregon State that beat then #3 and defending mythical national champion USC.

Boise State beating Oregon State who beat USC is not the same thing as Boise State beating USC.

OSU vs. Boise State is more like "Undefeated vs. unchallenged". I too would still love to see a tourney but I do not feel like Boise State can claim to be the best bases on how they have performed against who they have played. I still maintain that BSU and BYU would be a much better match up than OSU and BSU.

Iceaxe
12-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I have a new rule for the BCS..... you can't play in the National Championship game if you don't win your conference.

Fortuneately they got it right this year.... and not like that cluster of a couple years ago when Oklahoma lost the conferance and still made it into the championship game.

Go Gators.....

DiscGo
12-03-2006, 09:53 PM
The BCS doesn't work and should be dissolved. I know we have both said this, but there needs to be a tournament. I read an article yesterday that claimed this was the first year that the BCS has worked right and I don't think it has ever worked right (including this year).

There are a bunch of good teams and there is no real way of knowing how good they really are without a tourney!

Iceaxe
12-04-2006, 07:15 AM
I read an article yesterday that claimed this was the first year that the BCS has worked right and I don't think it has ever worked right (including this year).

Out of the 10 year existance of the BCS the only year I could say it worked as intended was last year when Texas played USC.

A playoff would be awesome.... just imagine the great college football we would get to watch between now and New years day :2thumbs:

DiscGo
12-04-2006, 10:24 AM
A playoff would be awesome.... just imagine the great college football we would get to watch between now and New years day :2thumbs:

No kidding! I think part of the problem is the tradition of the bowls and not wanting to change/ruin that. But it really would be nice to see who the best team really is every year and not base the title game on politics.

Here is a good article kind of talking about that:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2685389

P.S. How do you think that Boise State is going to do against Oklahoma?

Iceaxe
12-04-2006, 10:55 AM
The sticking point to a playoff is the University Presidents. Presidents from the big schools like the BCS money and a playoff would force them to share it with a bigger pool.

I bet if we could get the alumni to say no more donations until we get a playoff we would have one next week. :nod:

As for Boise and OU I don't know yet.... I haven't followed any OU football. But I think if Boise plays Bronco football and turns the game into a track meet they will win. If it turns into a slugfest probably OU.

The current Boise team reminds me a lot of the BYU teams of the 70's and 80's. They are capable of knocking off anyone if they play sound.

DiscGo
12-04-2006, 02:25 PM
The current Boise team reminds me a lot of the BYU teams of the 70's and 80's. They are capable of knocking off anyone if they play sound.

That really is a big part of what I love about college football. I love it when an unranked team like UCLA can beat USC. Just the fact that any team can lose and any team can win. Boise State has looked strong this year, and I'm really curious to see how they'll do against Oklahoma.

As for Boise and OU I don't know yet.... I haven't followed any OU football.

I don't know how much OU football you have followed but about 7 weeks ago OU's star Adrian Peterson (one of last years runner ups for Heisman) was injured. He is supposed to be back for the Bowl Game and if he is, Boise State is going to have their work cut out for them, but it could happen.

I bet if we could get the alumni to say no more donations until we get a playoff we would have one next week. :nod:

That is an awesome idea!